Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you view/deal-with *cheats* page 4

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah a standard weekly cheat day where you're looking forward to all week is not a good idea. However I think it's actually worse for the mind than for the body. You'll be dieting for the rest of your life and hate 6 days out of 7
    I used to find it really hard to stick to primal because I thought I couldn't have carbs, so I wanted to cheat all the time but I now allow myself to eat carbs if they're from healthy sources and I actually have no desire to eat anything non-primal anymore.

That's why I kind of hate to see advice that tells people to eliminate/limit any kind of primal food from their diet. Unless you have a physical issue with some of those foods- fruit, sweet potatoes etc. why avoid them? If you make it too strict, its going to be hard to stay the course for very long.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Did strict primal, then less strict, then a bit less... you see where I'm going. I have Celiac's disease, so that stopped me from going down that path too far. Do I indulge on occasion? Yes. Homemade ice cream (my own), dark, sea salt chocolate, the occasional GF dessert from a really great restaurant.

What bothers me moreso than "cheating" as a term, is the value we've placed on food as a social connection. It's intent, first and foremost, is to nourish the body. Now, let me not kid you, I am a damn fine cook, and I make really yummy meals. But if I go to a friend's house and they are serving up nachos, chips, and other unhealthy bits, I'm steering clear. Why does it matter if I don't eat it, or I bring my own food? I'm not saying it is wrong to indulge -- don't misunderstand me. But it saddens me that choosing to eat better food and not eat crap has become the equal to feeling like a social miscreant.

Perhaps this topic is simply one that is bothering me more today, but that is what I think of when I read this question.

I tighten my cilice.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciavyn View Post
    Did strict primal, then less strict, then a bit less... you see where I'm going. I have Celiac's disease, so that stopped me from going down that path too far. Do I indulge on occasion? Yes. Homemade ice cream (my own), dark, sea salt chocolate, the occasional GF dessert from a really great restaurant.

What bothers me moreso than "cheating" as a term, is the value we've placed on food as a social connection. It's intent, first and foremost, is to nourish the body. Now, let me not kid you, I am a damn fine cook, and I make really yummy meals. But if I go to a friend's house and they are serving up nachos, chips, and other unhealthy bits, I'm steering clear. Why does it matter if I don't eat it, or I bring my own food? I'm not saying it is wrong to indulge -- don't misunderstand me. But it saddens me that choosing to eat better food and not eat crap has become the equal to feeling like a social miscreant.

Perhaps this topic is simply one that is bothering me more today, but that is what I think of when I read this question.
    Ugh, yeah. I hate that food is such a social symbol. I don't eat cookies? I'm automatically anorexic. I'm at family with my parents an cake is being served? Everybody is looking straight at me to see if I will have cake.
    well then

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    But it saddens me that choosing to eat better food and not eat crap has become the equal to feeling like a social miscreant.
    The weird thing is around women. Men eat crap because its there and it tastes good. But women..... "OMG I can't eat this....it's sinful". So you have crap and everyone freaking out about how bad it is strips the enjoyment, then you are damned if you DON'T eat the chocolate brownie fudge ice cream explosion that everyone is just sitting there going on about how bad it is.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciavyn View Post
    What bothers me moreso than "cheating" as a term, is the value we've placed on food as a social connection. It's intent, first and foremost, is to nourish the body.
    Food is a big part of human cultural evolution. Hunting and gathering was done in groups, as was preparation, rules and taboos were assigned to the distribution and consumption of and it was a foundation for much bonding and relationships, so that aspect won't change. Humans are (mostly) social creatures and the act of sharing food is deeply ingrained. What has changed is the nature of what we call food. We get that, most people don't. I'm fortunate that my family/friends don't press the issue and do their best to accommodate me even the most of the time I'm fine just abstaining. They also get that the wrong food will make me sick, which I understand still isn't enough to get some people to back off, unfortunately.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I eat primal food most of the time and non-primal food sometimes. I never use the words cheat, indulgence, or treat - they are all loaded with connotation.

The only place I struggle with this is with the crappy oils. They cause inflammation for me, so I don't really like to have them. But it is impossible to eat out without getting hit with them. So if I am lazy and want to grab some roasted chicken and a little rice or steamed veggie on the whole foods hot bar, I debate a little bit about whether the oils are going to cause me an issue.

When I'm out to a nice dinner or at a friends house for dinner - I don't even think about it. I get what I want - which is almost always at least primal-ish and enjoy without a single negative thought.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    for me, there's no such thing as "cheats."

As Mark describes it all for himself, if he wants a cinnabon with his kids, he has one. It's not a cheat, it's a "whatever" and an enjoyable experience of food with family. I assume mark doesn't have any specialized issues that would make this a problem. It's also probably one of those "once in a blue moon" things.

It's the same for me. It was my birthday yesterday. I had cake. In 6 weeks, it will be my son's birthday. 8 weeks ago, it was my husband's birthday. I probably have cake about 6 times a year at this rate. I figure that a bi-monthly piece of cake doesn't qualify as a "cheat." It qualifies as a part of my life that i'm happy with.

That being said, day-to-day, I'm basically "relaxed paleo" -- so it's really no worry.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    I tighten my cilice.
    Perfect.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Getting drunk off hydrogenated soybean oil and snorting gluten off the breasts of prostitutes.
    Seriously. I don't "cheat". I do deviate from my staples of meat, eggs, potatoes and fruit, sometimes even for a week or so. But they always remain my staples because that's what I like to eat, shop for and feel best on. I eat muesli, dark chocolate several times a week and drink alcohol maybe every second weekend. I have scones and coffee at a cafe sometimes and usually eat what I like when I eat out. I probably have a bit more leniancy because I havn't got any weight to lose.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast