Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Edith: one bite at a time page 5

entwyf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Today, a week after a horribly hot, humid weekend, the weekend has been pleasant so far.

Yesterday, Saturday, I basically felt pretty alert mentally but physically very tired.

I have been reading about overtraining because it strikes me that, after a stress-laden week at work, I come home displaying symptoms of overtraining. Fatigue, poor performance, inflammation. I think work is sometimes an experience of constant heavy lifting with bad technique and no opportunities for rest and recovery.

I have done some Googling about nutrition to aid in rest and recovery from overtraining. I'm hoping this will help me with work stress.

Yesterday, despite a deep desire to just lie on the floor and do nothing, I was able to go on a half-hour walk. Maybe I should have just have spent the day lying on the floor, but after a week of sitting at a desk, I really wanted to get out and move.

This morning has started out well. Woke up without aid of an alarm clock. Had breakfast of string cheese, also a big bowl of salad greens mixed with mayo and spices--tumeric, coriander, and ginger, tastes I like. Taste okay together.

After church, maybe I can get in another walk.

One thing I want to focus on a lot more this coming week is the idea of: could it be possible to approach work as a type of weight-lifting experience?

The coach says, "Welcome to this special team; in exchange for a certain sum of money every other week, you will lift twice your body weight for a seven to eight hour period--every day with no breaks. You have to figure out how to do it all by yourself. Nobody else will help you, but everyone else will definitely criticize you every time you do something wrong; they will also sabotage you the instant you discover any way to make your heavy lifting a positive--or at least a less negative--experience."

Clearly, this approach is insane in any area of life. But what if I can find a way to do the impossible and thumb my nose at the insanity? This is not to say that I accept things at work as they are. Nor is it to say that my current job is what I want to retire from. No, I want to get out of it ASAP. But until I do, I want to stop being a victim and actually achieve something positive--as far as it is in my power to do so.

Edith

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    What a great and inspiring idea! Your post articulates how I feel about my own job, and my own approach to it. I think I have been pretty successful, although it is an ongoing process. One way I have made a pretty crappy job work is to relentlessly play to my own strengths. That sounds facile, but in fact it took me many years to figure that out. Best wishes going forward -
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

So, this is the weekend . . .

Saturday was a day of not doing much. There was some house cleaning, scraping paint off woodwork, misplacing my wallet and having to cancel a trip for groceries with a friend, watching TV shows on the Internet.

Then I lay down for a nap about seven p.m. yesterday (Saturday) and woke up about one-thirty a.m. today (Sunday). It's about four twenty-five a.m. now. So basically my weekend is over.

Today, Sunday, is basically about getting ready for the work week. I go to church to try and grasp some encouragement for plunging back into it. This afternoon I take a nap. This evening I try to aggregate my fecal matter and get mentally as ready as I can for Monday through Friday. . . .

I have been looking on the Internet for any information I can find that might help me with my swollen left foot. It's been swollen and tender on the top for about a week. I've done a lot of icing and elevating, and it's made only a small amount of difference.

This developed gradually. My foot was sore for a couple of days the previous week because I put my foot wrong walking and put too much weight on it suddenly.

Thinking of dietary influences, I have been trying to track what I eat and have realized that I may have recently had too much salt in my diet from salted almonds. But my diet has been decent: meat (hamburger, chicken, turkey), eggs (chicken), butter, non-starchy veggies, nuts, coconut milk, olive oil.

Okay, there were a couple of no-nos. One day last week, I had a salad with barbecued chicken from a place near work, and the chicken pieces were breaded. I was hungry, so I ate them.

With another salad last week I had a packet of Paul Newman's salad dressing with canola and soybean oil in addition to olive oil.

It probably hasn't helped that I've been shackled to my desk at work. If I don't get up and move around now and again, at the end of a work day both of my ankles can be swollen.

I'm still fat and still tired, and now I have an effed up foot. But it would, I am convinced, be much worse if I were still eating SAD.

Edith

The beginning of getting stronger?

So, in the middle of all the other stuff of the past week, I discovered what shape I'm in.

If I stand up straight in the middle of the kitchen and raise my hands to the ceiling and then lower them quickly (sort of like I'm reaching up to yank something down from the ceiling), I can do that fifty times. '

If I am holding a can of black olives (weighing six ounces) in each hand, I can do it thirty times.

If I hold onto a door frame for support, I can bend each leg and raise the knee to about waist height thirty times.

Food today was simple. For breakfast and lunch, I ate about half a pound of cooked ground beef. For supper, I cooked some beef round sandwich steaks and ate five (they were small). For supper, I also ate a mess of greenbeans and mushrooms cooked in olive oil and sprinkled with parsley and garlic.

Also, for reasons unknown, my foot is not swollen like it was yesterday. Just a tiny bit swollen on top.

Tomorrow, another chance to earn money begins anew. . . .

Yesterday I went to Family Dollar looking for wrapping paper for a baby shower gift. It's close to where I work and has some decent things cheap. Ended up buying two cans of Vienna sausage bites for lunch. Passing by the rows of pseudo-juices, cans of ravioli, bags of corn chips, I realized I've come a fair way from the time when seeing those things would start me drooling. Now it's like looking at cardboard. Fleh . . .

I know what you mean - when I go to the local Rite-Aid (in this part of the world it is a major store) I am appalled by all the grain and sugar laden processed crap, much of which claims to be "health food" and I used to be unable to leave the store without some kind of candy bar, which I would eat in the parking lot. Now I can go there and not even think about those candy-bar-in-the-car days. Whew!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

The beef jerky sticks are looking better and better, even though they have some iffy stuff in them. Family Dollar also sells cans of black olives which are good every once in a while . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    I know what you mean - when I go to the local Rite-Aid (in this part of the world it is a major store) I am appalled by all the grain and sugar laden processed crap, much of which claims to be "health food" and I used to be unable to leave the store without some kind of candy bar, which I would eat in the parking lot. Now I can go there and not even think about those candy-bar-in-the-car days. Whew!

The surprises that come from drinking and running, not necessarily together

Interesting day today. Started last night at bedtime.

Still wound up from a pretty labor-intensive work day, I put my emergency relaxation plan into action. Two jiggers of rum, knocked back. Usually gives me ten minutes to brush my teeth and get in bed, then out like a light (and no after-effects the next morning). But nothing.

Two more jiggers. Still nothing.

Two more jiggers for a total of six. Then I began to significantly unwind. So, I went to bed. And still, when I woke up, no after-effects. (My Scottish ancestors may roll in their graves, but this is one reason I like rum better than whiskey.)

Then I weighed myself. Six weeks ago, I got serious about eating Primal, dropped five pounds in a couple of weeks, and stalled at 235. This morning I weighed 231. I'm not going to say drinking six jiggers of rum had anything to do with it, but wouldn't it be lovely to try a steak and rum diet for . . . maybe a weekend?

And who knows? If I eat a salted almond tomorrow, I may end back at 235.

This afternoon after work, I surprised myself by *running a block* to the next stop to catch a bus that had closed its doors and taken off right as I got up to it. I think I surprised the bus driver when I got on. She gave me yadda-yadda about how the bus can't stop when it starts to leave the curb, but the bus hadn't left yet. I said, "The one good thing about this is that I have learned I can still run." A couple of people on the bus clapped.

The down side is that for a week now, my foot has definitely been feeling sore, as if somebody stepped on it and bruised it (though I don't know how it got that way). After catching the bus, my foot is definietly sore. I think I have to see the doctor about this for sure now.

Edith
    Last edited by entwyf; 08-24-2012 at 05:57 AM.

I am in awe of your ability to consume rum, the mere thought of which gives me a headache, and in your ability to run to catch a bus AND get applause for doing so. Good on you!

I don't know what might happen if I made generous consumption of spirits a habit, and I hope never to find myself in that situation. However, when things have gotten really wiggy, rum has been useful.

I really was amazed that I could run after a bus and catch it. I was aided by Providence in the form of a red light and other passengers who had to get on at the stop where I caught up with it. Still, wow. At age 58 and with a sore foot.

The foot, as I read online the next day, may actually have a stress fracture of some kind. Symptoms are consistent. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow about it. This is so typical of my efforts to improve my health. The minute I start making plans to improve the amount and quality of my daily exercise, some part of my body gets screwed up. But on we go . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    I am in awe of your ability to consume rum, the mere thought of which gives me a headache, and in your ability to run to catch a bus AND get applause for doing so. Good on you!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast