Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Edith: one bite at a time page 2

entwyf is offline Senior Member
    So much for melatonin. I took some before bed, about 10:30-ish. I woke up at 3:30 this morning. (It’s now just after five-thirty.) I had a craving for cream cheese and veggies, so I went downstairs and raided the refrigerator.

I melted a brick of cream cheese and a stick of butter together; I mixed in a lot of parsley, and modest amounts of coriander, red pepper flakes, and garlic. I used it as dip with baby carrots and cauliflower.

Sleep, or lack of it, is not just physical, not just chemical, not just psychological. It’s such a tangled knot of all three.

Is there a chance that I could get a basic grip on the problem before I die of sleep deprivation?

Now to try and go back to sleep. Argh.

Well, today being warm in my part of the world--western New York state--I have tried to do as my cats do and stay as inert as possible.

I actually got some cleaning done in my dining room, clearing every pile off the dining room table. I also did some work on finding materials online for the ESL class (now on summer hiatus) where I am a volunteer tutor.

Otherwise, I sat on the floor, worked on a baby afghan for friends expecting a baby in August, and watched Van Helsing with Hugh Jackman. Such a bad movie, but so much fun to laugh hysterically at.

All I have felt like ingesting today is cream cheese, cauliflower, and coconut milk. Must be doing me some good because, despite the heat and my perpetual fatigue, I have not felt an overwhelming urge to lie down and sleep, just a moderate and occasional urge. So, all in all, a nice Saturday.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Is that the first time you have taken melatonin? It might take some adjustment to get the benefit. For one thing, your room has to be really, really dark. Melatonin won't work unless you are in the dark. And the effect should be mild in any case, it's not a powerful sleeping medication, as I am sure you know. Have you read Mark's post on biphasic sleeping patterns? I have been experimenting with this and am very happy so far. Just letting go of the the idea that I am supposed to be sleeping 7-8 hours at a time has led to better sleep patterns for me. Of course it can be difficult with work - don't I know that! But it can be done.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I have taken melatonin before. Sometimes it has helped, sometimes it hasn't. Light may be a factor. My room is not really dark; there's a street light in front of my house.

If bi-phasic sleep was what our Primal ancestors really experienced, their schedules made it easier, going to bed and getting up with the sun, not having a rigid schedule of getting up at the same time every morning, not having so much to do that they sometimes didn't get to bed until one a.m.

If I'm not dead before I retire, then sleeping in bi-phasic fashion will be do-able.

Edith

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Is that the first time you have taken melatonin? It might take some adjustment to get the benefit. For one thing, your room has to be really, really dark. Melatonin won't work unless you are in the dark. And the effect should be mild in any case, it's not a powerful sleeping medication, as I am sure you know. Have you read Mark's post on biphasic sleeping patterns? I have been experimenting with this and am very happy so far. Just letting go of the the idea that I am supposed to be sleeping 7-8 hours at a time has led to better sleep patterns for me. Of course it can be difficult with work - don't I know that! But it can be done.

They did have an advantage in sleeping, not having electric lights. Now I wouldn't give up electricity for anything, but it is NOT an aid to sleep. It is hard when one has to follow a schedule imposed by civilization, but it can be done. For myself, an ultra dark room is key - no little green or red lights from clocks or other electric devices. In my new home I use a mask because it can be very bright here. Can you sleep when you come home from work? I read a post here, someone sleeps for about 90 minutes after coming home from work, then is up until 2 AM, sleeps til 6 AM. So he has a 4-hour sleep period and a 90-minute sleep period every 24 hours. Lots of ways to play with this.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I don't know how long it's been hot in Rochester, NY. Since last time I posted? An eternity of eating cold cream cheese and drinking cold coconut milk. That part was great. Weather not so much. Yesterday was the worst. However, yesterday was when I discovered that Primal is working in some unexpected ways.

Yesterday after work, when it was freakishly very hot (like 92 degrees F.) and windy, I spent half an hour outside in my yard hacking into manageable pieces a part of a maple tree that the wind knocked over into the neighbors' driveway. (Fortunately nobody's car was under it or even close to it.)

Strangely, it was not a taxing experience. It was rather neat.

I was well-hydrated, and though I generated plenty of sweat, the wind that blew all day yesterday evaporated it so that I didn't feel icky; I was in the shade; I had the right tools for the job, and I didn't eff up myself or anything else; after it was all over, I wasn't even sore from the effort.

I have such a long way to go, and I don't even know where I am going.

But hey! I sawed a tree! I am really impressed with myself.

Edith

So basically, the guy sleeps five and a half hours a day. Maybe spacing it out as he does makes it effective. But to feel my best, I need nine per day, rarely get that.

I used to take a long nap after work, but that was before being diagnosed with sleep apnea. I can't just flop down for a refreshing nap these days. I have to make sure my Darth Vader rig is clean, that my CPAP machine has water in the humidifier. Naps are not a pleasure any more and not that useful.

I have a sleep mask which has been very helpful. I am looking into light-blocking curtains. It also is easier to sleep when it is not so hot out.

I am also looking into ergonomic pillows. I have been sleeping on the floor for quite a few months now, and it's been good for most of my body, but my head and neck are still trying to find repose.

I am also in the process of stripping my bedroom of all but the most essential elements so that consciously and subconsciously I know it is for sleeping only.

Who knew sleep could be as complicated as eating Korean hot pot? (Try figuring out how to eat a whole giant shrimp plus all the other stuff--so worth it but a bit tricky.)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    They did have an advantage in sleeping, not having electric lights. Now I wouldn't give up electricity for anything, but it is NOT an aid to sleep. It is hard when one has to follow a schedule imposed by civilization, but it can be done. For myself, an ultra dark room is key - no little green or red lights from clocks or other electric devices. In my new home I use a mask because it can be very bright here. Can you sleep when you come home from work? I read a post here, someone sleeps for about 90 minutes after coming home from work, then is up until 2 AM, sleeps til 6 AM. So he has a 4-hour sleep period and a 90-minute sleep period every 24 hours. Lots of ways to play with this.

Working out the sleep problems is so complicated. I've come a long way but still it's a learning process. Good on you for sawing the tree!

End of a long, long, long week. Long, long, long. New interim director seems like a good egg. I am hopeful her presence might mark the arrival of a miracle or two in the near future. The sudden departure last week of the old director says somebody is taking seriously the idea that where I work should, mmm, work right. For now, however, everyone is still on overload.

It's been ten days since I hunkered down and started some serious eating. A moderate amount of meat, a moderate amount of eggs, a tiny bit of milk, a moderate amount of cheese, lots of non-starchy veggies, lots of fat, and a tiny bit of fruit. No bread, no donuts, no candy, no coffee, no diet soda.

I started weighing 233 if memory serves. I now weigh 234. However, I have noticed that my fat thighs are almost not touching.

Heh?

This probably goes in either the who cares or TMI category, but a few years ago during the summer, I had to walk a fair distance in stinking hot weather, and by the time I got home, the insides of my legs were raw from chafing together. Sound eeewww? It was horrible, wretched.

This is not where I am now. Thigh-wise, I am in a much better situation.

I still look distinctly fat. My posture is still distinctly bad. I still look like crap. Thanks to work, I've aged ten years in the past two. I'm still tired all the time, and yet I had enough energy a couple of days ago to saw and trim and haul to another location the pieces of a maple tree that fell over in a windstorm.

One thing that has driven me a little nuts is having an almost constant craving for fat. I'm not jonesing for cream cheese the way I was at the start of this week, but whatever I have in mind for a meal or snack, I also want butter, mayo, hamburger grease, schmaltz, lard, bacon fat . . . My ideal proportions would be one part food to two parts fat, but I haven't achieved that.

For supper tonight, I sauteed onion and green peppers and scrambled them up with five eggs and sprinkled them with red pepper flakes and garlic powder. Then I dolloped on mayo. Then I put on butter. I feel full now, and the idea of fat is a little gaggy, but it's still center stage in my mind.

Well, I am really tired. It's onlly eight-ish, but I think I'll brush my teeth and go to bed with my sleep mask. Thank you, Lord, that Friday finally came . . .

Edith
    Last edited by entwyf; 07-20-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Saturday's brain

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow. Saturday has been interesting so far. Normally, after a long work week, Saturday is the day I wander around in a semi-vegetative state, trying to find energy to clean dishes and vacuum and generally do something about the mess I created during the week (because I was too tired to do anything after work). It's normally the day I debate and debate about whether I really need to go grocery shopping because I'd rather just lie down, sit, or otherwise not move.

This morning I woke at three-thirty a.m. I've been up since then. It's now almost eleven a.m. I've worked on rearranging a bedroom, moving two litterboxes from a more to a less exposed area, putting a border around a baby afghan I'm making for friends, shopped for cat litter, curtains, and batteries. I'm tired, but I'm dressed and mentally alert. I'll probably go take a nap in an hour or so and do another round of shopping after that.

I'm thinking it has something to do with my supper last night: five eggs scrambled with veggies and loaded with mayo and butter.

Good fat and good protein are good for the brain, right? A lot of times over the past two years, my brain has been battered into insensibility by work at the same time it's been malnourished. But now, it seems the brain is on the move.

It would be nice to write a Primal journal about how I've gone Primal and all of a sudden I weigh fifteen pounds less, have shiny hair and flawless skin, am looking into buying a whole new wardrobe two sizes smaller, and have learned how to balance a Volkswagen on my nose.

But the fact that I am sitting here, typing, relatively alert, and not in tears after another stressful week at work . . . wow. Some of that has to do with changes in circumstances at work, but some of it definitely has to do with internal changes as well.

Right now, a functioning brain is bigger for me than almost anything else.

Edith

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast