Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Pork Masters! page

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Calling All Pork Masters!

Shop Now
    Okay, give me sausage, bacon, ham, a nice shoulder roast and I'm all there all day.

But I couldn't make a pork loin come out worth eating in a month of sundays. Believe me, I tried plenty back when I was into *lean meats* (instead of real food) and invariably failed. Miserably.

Fast forward to my current existence where I would never dream of purchasing plain old pork loin on a dare and I find myself stuck back in my old nightmare. Awhile back my mother lost power at her house while she was away at a conference out of state and I went and emptied her freezer and saved what I could at my house.

When she came back she didn't want to mess with any of it so I ended up inheriting two beef tenderloin, several whole chickens worth of fowl parts, three bags of shrimp, and here in back I discover I also inherited a pork loin. Looks like 3.5 to 5.0 lbs.

This is tomorrow's dinner.
    I'd kill or die for a recipe that will turn this beast into something succulent and juicy instead of dry and grainy.

Other foods I have on hand - Whole fresh ripe pineapple, bag of yellow onions, bag of medium sized carrots, ghee (currently out of coconut oil and can't get any til Friday), Butter, baby red and orange sweet peppers, 2 big green bell peppers. I also have iceberg lettuce, fresh made salsa, and a couple big cukes.

Spices/herbs - salt, pepper, lemonpepper, garlic, dry onion, cilantro, basil, sage, oregano, curry (I hate curry - thought I had grabbed cumin), thyme, dried mushrooms (variety), red flake peppers, cayenne, lemon juice, chili sauce, small amount of jar salsa

Miscellaneous - canned peas, canned green beans, canned clam sauce, canned chicken broth, and milk

Anyone got a rockin recipe that fits within the available ingredients they'd care to share?

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Cut the pork loin into cubes for kebabs. Cut up the peppers, onions, and pineapple into slices/cubes for kebabs. Marinate in ghee + lemon juice + whatever spices are your favorite... I think I'd add the garlic and chili sauce.

Stick all the marinated stuff onto kebab skewers. Cook on the BBQ grill. Remember that you don't have to cook pork to death--if it's still a tiny bit pink in the middle, it's cooked enough and still juicy.

Wow. Never in a million years would have thought of kebabs. That might be a bloodywell perfect solution. Thanks.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I can't beat the kebab idea, but I can tell you I don't generally cook pork loin as a chunk of meat. I usually end up cutting it into medallions and cooking them in butter, either as is or flattened depending on my mood. By butter, I mean butter with onion, garlic, salt, pepper etc. aim for slightly undercooked and let it rest to come up to temperature, that way it will hopefully not be dry.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineC View Post
    I can't beat the kebab idea, but I can tell you I don't generally cook pork loin as a chunk of meat. I usually end up cutting it into medallions and cooking them in butter, either as is or flattened depending on my mood. By butter, I mean butter with onion, garlic, salt, pepper etc. aim for slightly undercooked and let it rest to come up to temperature, that way it will hopefully not be dry.
    Yeah, I always try to do it as a roast. That's probably my problem.

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest adding the pineapple juice from butchering the pineapple to the marinade. I'd personally do butter, pineapple juice, salt, and lemon pepper. Add orange juice too if you have any, and honey/brown sugar if you don't mind the sugar. And don't be afraid to go a little heavy-handed on the pepper. It really adds a zing.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Brine the beast 24-36hrs and grill to 145deg, center should be slightly pink. Will be succulent and sweet with a hint of saltiness.
    Most loins are dry because of over cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    I would suggest adding the pineapple juice from butchering the pineapple to the marinade. I'd personally do butter, pineapple juice, salt, and lemon pepper. Add orange juice too if you have any, and honey/brown sugar if you don't mind the sugar. And don't be afraid to go a little heavy-handed on the pepper. It really adds a zing.
    First, gotta say, love the phrase *butchering the pineapple* . . . and with you on the pepper. If it was a fattier cut of pork it would be getting a garlic and black pepper rub followed by a carolina sauce of cider vinegar and a basket of red pepper flakes towards the end of cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    Brine the beast 24-36hrs and grill to 145deg, center should be slightly pink. Will be succulent and sweet with a hint of saltiness.
    Most loins are dry because of over cooking
    Don't have that long to marinade this go round, but sounds like it would be worth a try. Anything with a bit of saltiness and my wife is an automatic fan.

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    First, gotta say, love the phrase *butchering the pineapple* . . . and with you on the pepper. If it was a fattier cut of pork it would be getting a garlic and black pepper rub followed by a carolina sauce of cider vinegar and a basket of red pepper flakes towards the end of cooking.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about vinegar somehow. I would add some white/apple cider vinegar as well. More zing, more tenderness, more awesome.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast