Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: husband cured his fatigue by reducing meat...what?! page

BestBetter is offline Senior Member

husband cured his fatigue by reducing meat...what?!

Primal Fuel
    So, it's no secret that both me and my husband have autoimmune issues and fatigue. We've been experimenting with everything under the sun to improve fatigue with no luck. A few weeks ago, he decided to cut out meat for a week, out of desperation, and surprisingly his fatigue went away! He ate 3 eggs every day, yogurt, some cheese, and continued to keep everything else the same - plenty of fruit, rice, potatoes, some gluten-free pasta, some salads.

So far, he has been able to add back about 1/2 pound of meat every other day with no increase in fatigue.

It seems that his fatigue was helped by the overall reduction of meat, but it could be possible that it is due to a specific meat (ex: pork and beef are problematic but rabbit and goat are okay.)

Any research I found linked fatigue with the absence of meat, nothing mentioned fatigued being caused by meat. When I tried the no-meat experiment, my fatigue was unchanged.

Has anyone else noticed an improvement in fatiue with reduced meat consumption?

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    I have an intolerance to tuna, turkey, sardines, and deer meat, and midly to beef and pork (blood test to find out). If he's intolerant to the meats he was eating, then inflamation would have gone down, and then he wouldn't feel so tired. If I eat tuna, I can't even focus my eyes for very long. And I feel like a ball of sleeping pills. So, maybe it isn't just meat but specific meats. Take our pork and beef for a few months, then add them back. Sometimes that's all it takes.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Excess histamine in animal flesh can contribute to fatigue and other symptoms such as post-nasal drip. Histamine accumulates after the animal is killed, as a byproduct of breakdown of protein by bacteria and yeast.

Anyone with leaky gut issues will absorb more histamine than normal so that can be an issue with consuming rotting flesh, along with various other factors.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

bopfer is offline Member
    It could be the reduction of tryptophan and cysteine. Muscle meat is very high in them and they can suppress thyroid and lead to depression. Better to limit muscle meats to a few times a week, and get some broths soups and organ meats in there instead.

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bopfer View Post
    It could be the reduction of tryptophan and cysteine. Muscle meat is very high in them and they can suppress thyroid and lead to depression. Better to limit muscle meats to a few times a week, and get some broths soups and organ meats in there instead.

Does this derail the thread? Organ meat: I hear it is high in toxins, especially the liver. No?
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

bopfer is offline Member
    The liver is a detoxifier, but it doesn't store toxins. They are generally stored in fatty tissue.

Liver is a natural multivitamin.

Phresh is offline Member
    I ate 3 chicken breasts today and felt like a tired sack of shit after. Maybe it was cause it was a little bit on the expired side? Or... "normal" quality.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Liver is not a filter. It's a metabolizer. Toxins are stored in fat. Liver is very healthy and good for you. It's the thing that lives, the live - er. I'm eating my way through a whole pork liver right now. It's going to take me 4 breakfasts.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by bopfer View Post
    I think this is what he's going to keep doing...in fact, this week he's starting to feel a little fatigue resurfacing, so he's planning to reduce the meat again and see if he can make it go away again.

Funny thing is he's actually on the hyperthyroid end, runs very hot, is very lean, often has little appetite and no sweeth tooth whatsoever, plus eats a TON of salt - he actually will eat the salt plain from the container. So I think if anything, suppressing the thyroid a bit for him isn't an issue.

I've been trying to get him to eat liver for months, he just can't stand the taste. He also has a superhuman sense of smell and taste, so it's completely impossible to try to hide it in something else. However, he is willing to drink some of the bone broth I make, even though he hates the flavor.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Phresh View Post
    I ate 3 chicken breasts today and felt like a tired sack of shit after. Maybe it was cause it was a little bit on the expired side? Or... "normal" quality.
    This just reminded me of how everyone gets super tired and sleepy after thanksgiving dinner - something about the tryptophan in turkey (though I don't think turkey has higher levels than any other meat).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast