Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: husband cured his fatigue by reducing meat...what?! page 2

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Excess histamine in animal flesh can contribute to fatigue and other symptoms such as post-nasal drip. Histamine accumulates after the animal is killed, as a byproduct of breakdown of protein by bacteria and yeast.

Anyone with leaky gut issues will absorb more histamine than normal so that can be an issue with consuming rotting flesh, along with various other factors.
    I have a question about this; wouldn't consuming histimine make a person feel more awake, since it promotes wakefulness and vigilance? Taking an anti-histimine triggers sleepiness in most people (except for my weirdo husband - it gives him insomnia, but he's extremely resistant to sedatives.)

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I have a question about this; wouldn't consuming histimine make a person feel more awake, since it promotes wakefulness and vigilance? Taking an anti-histimine triggers sleepiness in most people (except for my weirdo husband - it gives him insomnia, but he's extremely resistant to sedatives.)
    Good question. This does appear to vary enormously between individuals and circumstances.

If histamine makes you feel more awake then that indicates that it is able to function normally as a neurotransmitter and that your immune system is not overstimulated and that your body can clear away this neurotransmitter signal quickly by breaking down the histamine thus be more sensitive to it. However, if levels are very high then histamine, in performing its role in the immune system, will cause excessive increased permeability of blood vessels and low blood pressure, which induces drowsiness.

Histamine has various diverse biological roles in different types of tissue. There are several different types of histamine receptor which can be sensitized or desensitized by various cofactors. Each anti-histamine drug targets a different type of receptor. Hence it's a very complex subject which has not been the focus of much detailed study to date.

My weirdo response is similar to your husband's.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    I just heard on the real food summit that primitive people used to carry around a small sack of clay that they dipped food in to help absorb histamines from their bodies. I wonder if taking bentonite clay would help.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Now, that is interesting. But I wonder how bentonite clay would taste. Would primitive people have had such a sensitive palate as us? Yes and no in different, more functional regards I guess.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Now, that is interesting. But I wonder how bentonite clay would taste. Would primitive people have had such a sensitive palate as us? Yes and no in different, more functional regards I guess.
    It taste kinda bland... Like dirt. And kinda gritty.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Phresh is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    This just reminded me of how everyone gets super tired and sleepy after thanksgiving dinner - something about the tryptophan in turkey (though I don't think turkey has higher levels than any other meat).
    Maybe... but I believe that was proved a myth. It's all the damn carbs that come with the turkey dinner. +1 for primal!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Has he tried just eliminating pork? There is a weston a price thing that pork causes fatigue by causing inflammation and slight clumping of red blood cells. I no longer eat non-fermented pork based on their recommendations. I am feeling better, but have made a few other changes at the same time so I'll need to tease them apart at some point.

The other thing would be, as others have suggested, an amino acid imbalance caused by excess consumption of muscle meat in the absence of organ meats.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Has he tried just eliminating pork? There is a weston a price thing that pork causes fatigue by causing inflammation and slight clumping of red blood cells. I no longer eat non-fermented pork based on their recommendations. I am feeling better, but have made a few other changes at the same time so I'll need to tease them apart at some point.

The other thing would be, as others have suggested, an amino acid imbalance caused by excess consumption of muscle meat in the absence of organ meats.
    Oh man ...this would explain some things.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    The you have me. If I go without meat for a few days I get run down, lose my attention span, and a little wacky and useless. Up it to about a pound of red meat a day on average, and liver, eggs, duck, etc., and I'm feeling great.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Has he tried just eliminating pork? There is a weston a price thing that pork causes fatigue by causing inflammation and slight clumping of red blood cells. I no longer eat non-fermented pork based on their recommendations.
    Wow, I think you just blew my mind. How do you ferment pork???

(I bet it's something ridiculously simple like letting it soak in brine...)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast