Thread: Tim Noakes page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Tim Noakes

Primal Fuel
    I was in Cape Town recently and I had the pleasure to visit a really inspiring medical institution of sports science, where the focus is on healing illness through diet and nutrition. They also focus on preventative medicine. Total breath of fresh air! South Africa is actually quite advanced when it comes to knowledge about health (well, Cape Town is anyway). The institute was set up by a guy called Tim Noakes, who's a huge figurehead in sports and health in South AFrica, but I don't think people outside of there know him. I met him anyway... really nice guy.

He used to be a long distance runner and wrote a book called "Lore of Running", where he advocated carbo loading for athletes, then developed type II diabetes, changed hid diet and cured himself. Now he's done a complete 180 - Here's his theory on low carb diets: Tim Noakes on carbohydrates: Health24: Fitness

What I really liked about him was that he was able to say "hey, I was wrong!" with no shame or regret. He's really knowledgeable, but kept reiterating how little he knows. All wise words, cos' sometimes people get attached to a science and it doesn't give them room for them to outgrow their views. I'm reading his autoboigraphy "Challenging beliefs" at the moment.

Just wondering if any of you have heard of him / read his books?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I hadn't known of him until just recently when he popped up on Jimmy Moore's podcast.

I have to say I thought immediately what you did -- that it was refreshing to have someone tell the truth and not worry about protecting an existing investment in the current paradigm. So many people don't. (And this is so in all fields of life: compare the dogged refusal of Marxist and Freudian academics to succumb to evidence and reason, even as their theories were beginning to look distinctly shaky.)

However, what Tim said to Jimmy made sense to me -- that he didn't want to be remembered as the man who'd told everyone the wrong thing. I can see why he'd want to avoid that even at the cost of revising everything he'd thought and making the damaging admission that he'd been handing out bad advice. A sensible man, as well as a deeply admirable one.
    Last edited by Lewis; 07-11-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Yes I had watched a couple of YouTube interviews.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tim is THE MAN. I have used his techniques in my own training and coaching of others for several years now. The Lore of Running is THE reference for all things running. He has a very good book he just released on hydration that smacks in the face of the Gatorade science institute!