Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in a paleo program geared towards young, social women? page 2

cavegirlsrock is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadnskinny View Post
    I was going to say, I'm sure there's at least half the population that would LOVE to get involved with a group of young, paleo women!

I think that's a great idea though, I wouldn't even restrict it to young women. That's one thing our post-Grok society has done better and worse: passing on what you know. You used to learn tips and tricks and life from the older women in the tribe along with the girls your age, but how many of us got to grow up learning the ropes from our grandmothers and their friends? And yet, we also have this gigantic world on the internet too. But it's not the same as a group of people!
    Thank you for your kind response! I completely agree that there has been a sort of "cut off" of knowledge for basic eating, cooking and nutrition. I see it, so I just wanted to see if I was the only one! I would love to be able to guide my friends for an easy transition to paleo, and, although there is a lot of great paleo information out there, I don't see anything specifically targeting this age group. Instead, they get "skinny b***h" and other ridiculous DIETS to try.

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Im a twenty something girly girl and successful paleo chick! I teach, go to the gym in my heels, change into my minimal shoes and bust out Pullups, Burpees, and pushups and run a couple miles. Then I'll go get a great mani, pedi. Oh no... Too many chemicals for some folks, not this OPI and devote Essie lover.

I LOVE the idea honestly. There used to be a cool blog I followed. It was a trendy woman, job, bf, and paleo. Although that describes more than just 20 something's.... She was witty and talked about dealing w social issues and eating out. Unsure why I can't find it right now though!

So yes. I'd be interested

TLoRu is offline Senior Member

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Spam. Selling something. Probably a retreat where us Paleo girls can all sleep in a cave, roast cockroaches under the stars and have pillow fights with animal furs.

Where can I buy tickets to this event?

Quote Originally Posted by KV8R View Post
    Where can I buy tickets to this event?
    It's funny, because I think that whole "cavewoman concept" scares a bunch of young women away. I think there is a misconception that you have to suddenly start enjoying camping, hiking, game meats, and offal if you are going to be successful with paleo.

Again, thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by TLoRu View Post
    I've seen this! She does seem pretty cool and I like her message of "modern paleo". The only other large site I've seen is "Paleo for Women" (that was just posted by Mark), but it has a more natural/earthy tone to it.

nimiety is offline Junior Member
    I love this idea.

I'm a good cook, and more knowledgeable about traditional preparation methods than almost everyone my age, but I still think there are specific challenges to being primal as a young, social person—moderating drinking (and preventing too much damage at bonding-y group drunk-food runs), making good choices at restaurants, planning and packing meals/snacks for long stretches out of the house, etc. Basically, these apply to anyone without a stable, home-based schedule, but I think younger, unmarried people are a higher proportion of that group. I also think that women (particularly young women?) are inclined to be vegetarians or eat red meat infrequently because we're sensitive to its image as "unfeminine," partially because we're likely to be diet-conscious in a CW sense. I'd definitely be up for talking about those challenges.
    Primal goals: metabolic health, vitality, strength, and maybe some weight loss wouldn't be amiss

My journal: eating-disordered fat woman takes up eating meat and lifting weights; hilarity ensues

Quote Originally Posted by nimiety View Post
    I love this idea.

I'm a good cook, and more knowledgeable about traditional preparation methods than almost everyone my age, but I still think there are specific challenges to being primal as a young, social person—moderating drinking (and preventing too much damage at bonding-y group drunk-food runs), making good choices at restaurants, planning and packing meals/snacks for long stretches out of the house, etc. Basically, these apply to anyone without a stable, home-based schedule, but I think younger, unmarried people are a higher proportion of that group. I also think that women (particularly young women?) are inclined to be vegetarians or eat red meat infrequently because we're sensitive to its image as "unfeminine," partially because we're likely to be diet-conscious in a CW sense. I'd definitely be up for talking about those challenges.
    Exactly! I see one major source of meat with this group: lean chicken breasts! Red meat is a rarity. And, yes, I think most have tried to go vegetarian at least once. Social balance needs to be addressed, and social perceptions of eating/what to eat/etc. for young women specifically IMO. It sounds crazy, but I think young women do (consciously/unconsciously) associate eating meat with being masculine. How do you break that perception? The easy answer is to show them how sexy you look after eating paleo - the problems I see are in getting this group to TRY it (regarding eating more meat, still being able to socialize and eat out, and actually cooking/planning for themselves). Any thoughts?

croí is offline Senior Member
    It's really more about wanting to learn how to cook. I'm a mid-20's female, and I grew up on frozen pizzas and hot dogs because our schedule with school and sports was so crazy. So fast food was convienant, and that's how most young people are growing up these days. They don't have sit down dinners at the dinner table with the family. They grab a $0.99 burger on their way to practice or take their frozen dinners in front of the tv.
    When I moved out, the only thing I really knew how to cook was spaghetti and meat sauce. Primal eating made me learn alot about cooking, and preparation - and also made me want to carve time out of my busy schedule to enjoy eating. Before it was just getting enough in to keep me going for the next few hours, or mindless snacking. Now, I know this food is to fuel me for a while, and while I'm completely satisfied, I can enjoy more social events without thinking about a quick snack on the way.

Just my opinion.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I can cook meat like a boss. If any ladies would like tutorials I will be happy to host classes at my house
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast