Thread: Beets me! page

vb66 is offline Senior Member

Beets me!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a lovely bunch of golden beets from a friend. The problem is, I don't like beets. I've only had the red ones, but I can't imagine the golden ones are a huge difference. I would love to hear if anyone has any good recipes using beets. I was going to try roasting them.

Cheers!

Primal Pamme is offline Member
    Actually, they do taste differently than red beets. They are much more mild. Red beets used to be one of the few foods I hated. We grew yellow beets one year and I loved them. Now I can eat red beets when DH cooks them, but they are not something I would chose to cook. However, the other day I ran across a recipe for red beats with a horseradish sauce (we had to Primalize the sauce) which was incredible. That dish we will have again (will post the recipe later).

Easiest way to have beets is to steam them. If we have baby beets, we just wash them and throw the whole thing, greens and all in the steamer, but if they are older, we chop off the greens and the tops and bottoms of the beets. If they are really big, they may need to be peeled and chopped before steaming. The beets go on the bottom and the greens on top. DH sometimes sprinkles vinegar on them, but I like them with just salt and pepper. If your beets are freshly slaughtered, then this is all you need.

HealthyGirl is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Pamme View Post
    Actually, they do taste differently than red beets. They are much more mild. Red beets used to be one of the few foods I hated. We grew yellow beets one year and I loved them. Now I can eat red beets when DH cooks them, but they are not something I would chose to cook. However, the other day I ran across a recipe for red beats with a horseradish sauce (we had to Primalize the sauce) which was incredible. That dish we will have again (will post the recipe later).

Easiest way to have beets is to steam them. If we have baby beets, we just wash them and throw the whole thing, greens and all in the steamer, but if they are older, we chop off the greens and the tops and bottoms of the beets. If they are really big, they may need to be peeled and chopped before steaming. The beets go on the bottom and the greens on top. DH sometimes sprinkles vinegar on them, but I like them with just salt and pepper. If your beets are freshly slaughtered, then this is all you need.
    OH YUM! That sounds good...I will anxiously await the recipe

Primal Pamme is offline Member
    The horseradish sauce was so easy. Put it all together, stir until it thickens then add the cooked beets and cook until the sauce colors. I peeled and diced the beets before steaming them, because they were very big.

3/4 cup water
    1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 cup honey
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    2 tablespoons grated horseradish
    1 tablespoon butter

DH came up with another way of using beets this morning. He grated a beet and mixed it with a grated carrot and a bit of grated zucchini. Then he added a beaten egg and salt and pepper. He dropped spoon fulls onto a heated frying pan lubricated with a bit of ghee. He said they were better than hash browns, which we love and miss.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    You were right Pamme, the yellow beets were milder in flavour than red ones. I ended up peeling and cutting them into bite sized pieces, and then roasting them with some rosemary, salt, and pepper. They were just ok. I think I'm just not a fan of beets in general. This is much to the dismay of my Ukrainian grandmother who makes borscht every holiday! Thank you for the suggestions