Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheat page

Darz is offline Senior Member

Wheat

Primal Fuel
    I have a question, I know wheat is vilified by folks and that it should be avoided by everyone, even to those who have no problem with it in the first place; but my question is - Are there any actual studies that show that wheat alone is bad to those who are healthy, lean, active, free of allergies/intolerances and with no family history on any illness (my case)? On a side note, I decided to go gluten free for 4 months, as a small experiment, and can't report on any changes (beneficial or detrimental) when wheat cessation occurred, at least that I could be aware of; but as a small experiment, my dinner today will include a serving of regular pasta to verify if any ill effects arise.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    The wheat we eat isn't the wheat your grandma ate:

http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/02/13/t...makes-you-fat/

Many people suspect the genetic modification of wheat is responsible for the increase in celiac's disease etc.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I would the modification and the fact that we are overloaded with it.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Good book.... Wheat Belly Blog | Lose the Wheat Lose the Weight

I linked to his blog though as you can get much info their before even purchasing the book.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    GM food has to be labelled in the EU and consumers have voted with their feet so you won't find it in food or grown in the EU. However, coeliac disease, gluten intolerances and so forth are still continuing to rise here.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    GM food has to be labelled in the EU and consumers have voted with their feet so you won't find it in food or grown in the EU. However, coeliac disease, gluten intolerances and so forth are still continuing to rise here.
    I'm not sure if the modern dwarf wheat developed through cytogenic hybridization in the 60s has to be labeled as GMO.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Cordain L. (1999). Cereal grains: humanity’s double edged sword. World Review of Nutrition and Dietetics, 84: 19-73.

----

Ho R, Cordain L. Biotin insufficiency and cardiovascular disease. Nutrition Research, 2000; 20:1201-12.

Abstract: Among the many contributors to the development of cardiovascular disease are inadequate levels of essential fatty acids. Although the prevalence of essential fatty acid deficiencies (EFAD) have rarely been regarded as problematic in developed nations, studies have shown that insufficient levels of essential fatty acids (EFA) can impact the etiology of cardiovascular disease. Numerous animal studies have shown that clinical symptoms resulting from biotin deficiency are similar to that of EFAD. Many of these studies have also shown low biotin bioavailability in cereal grains. Because the USDA Food Guide Pyramid encourages high carbohydrate intakes and lower consumptions of fat, oil, and protein, not only may EFA level be compromised, but adequate absorption of biotin could be overestimated as well. While static biotin measurements have lead many to believe that nutritional status is adequate, functional biotin status may be accommodated. Due to the coenzymatic activity of biotin in the holocarboxylase complexes, insufficient amounts of exogenous biotin could affect elongation and desaturation of EFA, contributing to endothelial cell dysfunction. The authors suggest that there may be a substantial link between cereal grain intakes and cardiovascular disease stemming from both biotin and EFA insufficiencies.

Download PDF
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm not asking this to be rude, but how old are you?

I happily ate wheat for 45 years without noticing any bad effects. That doesn't mean there weren't any bad effects, just that I didn't notice them because my diet was generally not optimal.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be ageist or anything, but I do think this stuff starts to catch up with you when you get older.

Having said that, you could be 65 and that would throw my post completely out the window.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I'm not asking this to be rude, but how old are you?

I happily ate wheat for 45 years without noticing any bad effects. That doesn't mean there weren't any bad effects, just that I didn't notice them because my diet was generally not optimal.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be ageist or anything, but I do think this stuff starts to catch up with you when you get older.

Having said that, you could be 65 and that would throw my post completely out the window.
    I'm 23, and I have to say, after having pasta for dinner - two hours later I started getting a bout of flatulence; now, is this because I might have some allergy or is it because I stopped eating gluten for several months - therefore lacking the enzymes to digest it (if that makes sense)?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast