Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheat page 7

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    IF this were true, which it is not, the people that ate the least amount of grains, whether refined or whole, would be healthiest. Right? But the people that eat the most whole grains are always the healthiest. Why aren't these studies showing that people that eat the least amount of grains are healthiest?????? Please just answer that.
    That would depend on what else is being eaten by the people who don't eat grains. And by the way, the thread is about wheat specifically, not all grains.

Personally, I don't care whether people eat wheat or not. I don't because it gives me problems, but the rest of my family does. I ate it for years, but started to run into problems (joint inflammation, especially in the shoulders) with it a few years ago. Those last few years I had started emphasizing whole wheat and ate very little refined wheat. That could mean that WGA is what gives me a problem rather than gluten, and that I'd be fine with white flour. I'm not going to bother finding out though, as I'm perfectly happy not eating wheat. I have a much easier time keeping my weight down now, as replacing wheat products with other things like more fruits, vegetables and starchy tubers seems to work much better for me in terms of satiety.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    lol, yes, because everyone at 45 is really doing horribly eating grains.
    Ah yes, the arrogance of youth. I remember it well! Jim, life has a way of teaching you it's lessons, whether you want to learn them or not. Make it easy on yourself, pay attention. Because I can promise you this~ you can't BS your way around the truth.

FWIW, 45 is just about when my body stopped waiting for me to 'get it' and slapped back. And from personal observation with people in my age group, 45 is just about when they started developing things like IBS, fibromyalgia, RA, GERD, skin rashes, shingles, arthritis, type II diabetes, obesity (when they had always been slim) and a whole list of other autoimmune issues.

It's your body, your choice. But what if the rest of us are right?

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    While I agree that our cumulative intake of wheat, corn, sugar, and industrial oils is excessive, does that mean we should reduce all but one of them and think that we are eating the optimal diet? One could remove grains but continue to eat sugar and still fall below the SAD intake of carbohydrate, not suffer obesity or serum glucose regulation issues... but is that the best way to eat?

Eating what occasionally for people who do not suffer any gastric issues may not be a big deal. But the point is that there are plenty of more nutritious options at every meal. I may not sweat having a pizza on Friday night, but the rest of the week I can find more healthful foods. Isn't that the point?
    I agree, I just think the "blame it all on Wheat" train is running a bit too fast these days. "Wheat Belly" is a good example, if you read that book you'd think that what is the cause of everything bad in the world.

The reality is that I think most people could live long, healthy lives with wheat in their diet, probably lot's of it. The problem with the SAD isn't wheat, it's almost everything. The meat is is garbage, the veggies are garbage, the oil is garbage. Add that together and you get a garbage diet.

Once again, I eschew wheat for better alternatives. For my carbs, I have potatoes, sweet potates, and white rice. However, if someone wants to have some bread and they don't have any side effects and they are healthy, then I don't see any problem with it.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Ah yes, the arrogance of youth. I remember it well! Jim, life has a way of teaching you it's lessons, whether you want to learn them or not. Make it easy on yourself, pay attention. Because I can promise you this~ you can't BS your way around the truth.

FWIW, 45 is just about when my body stopped waiting for me to 'get it' and slapped back. And from personal observation with people in my age group, 45 is just about when they started developing things like IBS, fibromyalgia, RA, GERD, skin rashes, shingles, arthritis, type II diabetes, obesity (when they had always been slim) and a whole list of other autoimmune issues.

And please link me to a study that links any of those things to grains in non celiac people.

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    The bias is already built into the study. A lot of people that don't eat grains do so because of problems they have with grains. It also depends what they are substituting the grains for in their diet. If they are eating grains instead of vegetables they would probably be worse off. If you eliminate one thing from your diet, you have to replace it with something else. So there are so many variables in a study like this.
    It would have to be specifically with people who don't have celiac or gluten sensitivity or anything. It wouldn't be that hard to find people like that (as I'm one of them). In any study like this you'd need to replace something with whole grains so that variable exists for both whole grains vs refined grains, and whole grains vs no grains. Either way it's probably flawed but it would be interesting to see something like whole wheat vs white rice or potatoes.

I don't think "what if the rest of us are right?" is a valid question, because the question "what if we are all wrong" is just as easy to ask and an equally valid question.

Plenty of populations live happily and healthily with wheat as a regular part of their diet. The fact is the SAD is not a wheat based diet, it is a crap based diet. I have extreme doubts that our societies issues are due to wheat, considering that we do almost everything wrong when it comes to lifestyle. Low activity levels, low vitamin D, lots of pollutants, lots of toxins, GM fruits and veggies and grains, industrial oils, low nutrient fruits and veggies due to poor farming practices, high prescription drug intake...and the list goes on. Our problem is a lifestyle problem, not a wheat problem. (For MOST people, people will specific allergies being an exception. But many are allergic to shellfish, that doesn't mean I'm going to stop eating shellfish.)

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    I don't think "what if the rest of us are right?" is a valid question, because the question "what if we are all wrong" is just as easy to ask and an equally valid question.

Plenty of populations live happily and healthily with wheat as a regular part of their diet. The fact is the SAD is not a wheat based diet, it is a crap based diet. I have extreme doubts that our societies issues are due to wheat, considering that we do almost everything wrong when it comes to lifestyle. Low activity levels, low vitamin D, lots of pollutants, lots of toxins, GM fruits and veggies and grains, industrial oils, low nutrient fruits and veggies due to poor farming practices, high prescription drug intake...and the list goes on. Our problem is a lifestyle problem, not a wheat problem. (For MOST people, people will specific allergies being an exception. But many are allergic to shellfish, that doesn't mean I'm going to stop eating shellfish.)
    I agree that wheat obviously isn't the only problem with the SAD and some people can eat wheat their whole life and stay healthy. But wheat is also kinda pointless since it's low in nutrients, high in calories, and can cause problems for people that they might not even be aware of until they get older. The only time I can think of that wheat might be useful is for people who are starving and have no other food. It might taste good in some circumstances but from a health perspective it doesn't really have anything going for it.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    And please link me to a study that links any of those things to grains in non celiac people.
    No. Your google works. And I am not trying to change your mind anyway. Life will do that. Just wait.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    No. Your google works. And I am not trying to change your mind anyway. Life will do that. Just wait.
    Not to mention a tonne of studies were posted in his last thread showing the harmful effects.

Funny we are still yet to see his study that show wheat/grains are good for you though.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    I agree that wheat obviously isn't the only problem with the SAD and some people can eat wheat their whole life and stay healthy. But wheat is also kinda pointless since it's low in nutrients, high in calories, and can cause problems for people that they might not even be aware of until they get older. The only time I can think of that wheat might be useful is for people who are starving and have no other food. It might taste good in some circumstances but from a health perspective it doesn't really have anything going for it.
    Agreed, the only reason I see to eat wheat in normal life is simply because you enjoy it greatly. If that's the only reason someone gives me, I can't really argue with it, since life is meant to be enjoyed.

For me, I never eat wheat during normal life. However, I do eat some wheat on vacation or at special occasions. My rule is simple: Will this meal be a life long memory? If the answer is yes, then I eat it. So, if I'm eating at the French Laundry, I'm going to eat whatever they serve me and be happy knowing it added substance and joy to my life, whether it included wheat or sugar. However, if I'm driving past a Dunkin Donuts, that is NOT going to add any substance to my life and only a fleeting minute of joy followed by regret. So it makes no sense to stop and get a donut.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast