Thread: Wheat page 4

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Would that be 50 shades of grey?

Seriosuly, FMLUN great comment.
    Life. Be in it.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    There's context and 'shades of grey'. Not all foods can be lumped into a "poison" or "essential superfood" category. Wheat, seafood, eggs, nuts, milk etc all have their benefits yet can also be potentially problematic for a small percentage. Are all these foods necessary? No. Can their nutrients be obtained elsewhere? Sure. Can you find evidence of their health benefits? yes. Are they're health benefits overrated by some? Can you find evidence they can be problematic for some? yes.
    Can you find healthy populations that thrive consuming a lot of these foods? Sure. Some of the most healthy and disease free cultures weston price studied consumed large amounts of foods people put into the "poison" category. So I think the only way you can know what works for YOU is through experimentation. If you eliminated every food that Macdougall, cordain, Campbell, davis, CW etc told you was bad you wouldn't have any food options left at all.
    Yeah I agree on that.

I just don't understand one thing, if the body can adjust itself with remarkable capability in a short period of time for some things, why can't it adjust to things like gluten after thousands of years? Some populations live on grains and live to tell the tale; if one has a serious problem with it then I concur that it should be avoided but if there isn't a problem in the first place why shun it?

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    if one has a serious problem with it then I concur that it should be avoided but if there isn't a problem in the first place why shun it?
    Because it cures every auto immune disease, makes your immune system impenetrable to any and all disease, cures arthritis, acne, sinus problems, any skin problem, heals your metabolism that is already definitely broken from eating too much wheat in the first place, and it doesn't taste good.*

*Science doesn't support any of this nonsense.

To be honest there is no reason at all to stop eating grains. Just look at the studies I posted or do some searches for yourself on google scholar and tell me what you find.

The reason you had a problem with grains was because your body down regulated the enzymes involved in eating them while you abstained. As I said, tell someone who hasn't eaten meat for a few months to eat a nice steak and I guarantee they have a similar reaction. Do you think that any time you ate pasta before you had the same reaction, you were just "used to it." I read that on here a lot and that is possibly the stupidest thing I hear on these forums (and that is saying a LOT).

Just look at the data. Don't go to blogs or anything. Just go to google scholar, do so independent research, do it objectively, and I guarantee that you will not come up with the conclusion that grains are bad and you should give them up. At least any rational person wouldn't.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Don't go to blogs or anything..
    Don't listen to people's experience also, toss all the success stories out of the window and absolutely ignore every opinion that doesn't settle with yours.

People lie when they say they ditched grains and their health got better
    It's all part of a big, big conspiracy.
    By the way, if you ditch grains for 30 days, your body will turn itself off and you'll be in a coma.
    Because the rational thing to do is NEVER experience ANYTHING.

Hey Jim what about that help you were going to get?
    Could we get a picture of you and some blood test result?
    Just wondering.
    Last edited by Gilleh; 07-11-2012 at 06:00 AM.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea what folks who don't buy into the Primal way are even doing here but everyone is entitled to there opinion. I think short term adaptations are just minor manipulations of the genes we are stuck with (epigenetics) and happen quickly whereas real adaptation (meaningful mutations) take selection pressure and much more time.

I believe from all I've read that while people may have starved less there was a general reduction in health when society became grain based but I would agree with Robb Wolf when he says give it a full 30 days and see how you look feel and perform. If grain really doesn't seem to bother you then go ahead and eat it (more meat for me). I don't push my thinking on anyone and I have no problem with people doing their own thing. (I would be no better than the vegans if I did) After all someone has to win the Darwin Award.

I do say this however... Many people are too sensitive to carbs to eat much grain as I am. If someone has no serious weight problem and/or carb addiction then perhaps some can eat grain but for me it's just like the cows... Eat grain and get fat! So whether or not I can "stomach" it is immaterial.
    Last edited by jfrendek; 07-11-2012 at 06:22 AM.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    Don't listen to people's experience also, toss all the success stories out of the window and absolutely ignore every opinion that doesn't settle with yours.

People lie when they say they ditched grains and their health got better
    It's all part of a big, big conspiracy.
    I believe in their success and that they do feel better without grains but, again, everyone is different, they did have a problem with grains - I stopped eating gluten not because I had a problem with it but because I followed what people, who live a paleo/primal lifestyle, said. Further experimentation is required I believe and if one day I do get benefits from not eating it then I'll be sure the grain/gluten was the culprit.
    Last edited by Darz; 07-11-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    if there isn't a problem in the first place why shun it?
    Do you know there isn't a problem for you?

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Just look at the data. Don't go to blogs or anything. Just go to google scholar, do so independent research, do it objectively, and I guarantee that you will not come up with the conclusion that grains are bad and you should give them up. At least any rational person wouldn't.
    Just listen to Jim, he's the only rational person here by his own reckoning.

Darz
    Do you know what Gluten is?
    Do you know why grains contain Gluten?
    Have you used the search function on both the forum and MDA to see what was previously written on gluten & wheat?
    How much research and reading have you done yourself on this topic elswhere?
    Did you start this thread so someone could spoon feed you? If so Jims got a big bowl of grain products for you to gorge on.
    Did you know that 29% of normal individuals has Gliadin antibodies present in stool?
    Why do you think 29% of normal individuals would have these antibodies present in their stool?
    Did you know the rate of coeliac disease is increasing at a greater rate than can not be explained by better diagnostics?
    Did you know that a lot of autoimmune disease patients present with gliadin antibodies but are not coeliac technically?
    Search for "Gluten & autoimmune disease" and follow the trails and see what you find.
    Did you look at the GI & GL ratings for processed grain products?
    Do you understand how these affect your body?
    Have you looked at insulin & leptin resistance relationships to high starch and sugar intakes?

Go answer those questions to your own satisfaction and the other 50 that will come to you while researching then come to your own conclusions on the health benefits of continuing to eat wheat.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I think based on the personal experience of many here with gluten, with over 10% of the population known to be sensitive to gluten, the havoc it reeks on people with celiac disease and IBS plus the many studies that are now coming out that show how bad wheat and other grains can be I see no reason to eat it.

As Omni says go to the data and you will see how bad they are. Wheat is a nightmare which is why they started pushing the whole grain mantra. The studies will show whole grains are better than grains but any thinking person would realize that does not make them good for you. Also if you read between the lines many of the benefits they tout for whole grains can easily be filled with vegetables and other real food.

Ask yourself why is there no study showing that adding grains is beneficial?

Grains are convenient but they are tasteless, nutritionally void and there is no study to show adding them to your diet has any benefit at all. Seems to me it makes much more sense to avoid them.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 07-11-2012 at 06:42 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Did you know the rate of coeliac disease is increasing at a greater rate than can not be explained by better diagnostics?
    Not only that, but you can only get a celiac diagnosis after the villi in the small intestine is pretty much gone. That's like saying you only have lung cancer if they've actually removed a lung.

Yeah, you can do an antibody test, but there are a ton of false negatives because they don't test for all of them.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    I know I'm getting old, and short term memory and all, but didn't we just do this?
    like yesterday...groan...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast