Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheat page 2

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    I'm 23, and I have to say, after having pasta for dinner - two hours later I started getting a bout of flatulence; now, is this because I might have some allergy or is it because I stopped eating gluten for several months - therefore lacking the enzymes to digest it (if that makes sense)?
    The latter. You created a problem where there wasn't one in the first place. Stop eating meat for a few months and eat a steak...you will probably feel sick too. That doesn't mean that you have a problem digesting steak.

And to answer your question, there is absolutely no study that has shown that whole grains are bad for you.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Lets say in the short span of 10,000 years some of us have developed a fully adapted enzyme to digest the proteins in wheat.

First of all that is a very specific enzyme that had to develop to digest a tasteless, nutritionally low grain.

Second again assuming that some people are full adapted that would be to a much lower quantity of the wheat proteins found in wheat around the 1970s.

Third I find it hard to believe any one's enzymes could keep up with very high quantity of wheat protein found in wheat today, not to mention the even higher quantity you would get from the way it is added to almost everything - call it wheat protein overload.

Fourth there are no studies that show eating wheat and grains is better than not eating them

Fifth there are now studies coming out that show how detrimental grains are to health.

Either way I have no reason to believe I am celiac or wheat sensitive (OH is) but the extra energy and well being I got from eating only a little to completely cutting it is amazing. There is no way I will go back to a SAD diet.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 07-10-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    I'm 23, and I have to say, after having pasta for dinner - two hours later I started getting a bout of flatulence; now, is this because I might have some allergy or is it because I stopped eating gluten for several months - therefore lacking the enzymes to digest it (if that makes sense)?
    Smartest move you can make on this forum is to put jimhenson on ignore.

Anyway, you're used to having a certain crap level in your body and now that you don't, your body actually has the energy and tools to recognize it and fight it. For some people, it stays like that as long as they continue to avoid that particular toxin. Others find the reaction lessons as time goes on.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post

Anyway, you're used to having a certain crap level in your body and now that you don't, your body actually has the energy and tools to recognize it and fight it. For some people, it stays like that as long as they continue to avoid that particular toxin. Others find the reaction lessons as time goes on.
    +1
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post

But if you do that you will miss such gems as grains are delicious and my favourite I am not going to post any studies to prove grains are better than not eating grains but I am going to stomp my feet until you believe they are good for you.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Dirlot likes to ask for studies and I reply with hundreds and he says they are all flawed...

grains heart - Google Scholar

I am just going to quote from conclusions from different studies that I posted:

"It appears valid to make health claims (as now permitted by the US FDA) that whole grain cereal foods and oat meal or bran may reduce the risk of CHD."

"This study supports the reported beneficial association of whole-grain intake with CHD and suggests that the bran component of whole grains could be a key factor in this relation."

"A clear inverse association between whole-grain intake and risk of IHD death existed. A causal association is plausible because whole-grain foods contain many phytochemicals, including fiber and antioxidants, that may reduce chronic disease risk. Whole-grain intake should be studied further for its potential to prevent IHD and cancer."

"The intake of wholegrain foods clearly protects against heart disease and stroke but the exact mechanism is not clear. Fibre, magnesium, folate and vitamins B6 and vitamin E may be important."

"Thus, studies strongly suggest that the regular consumption of whole grains significantly reduces the risk of CHD "

"Nevertheless, the take-home message is that consumption of generous amounts of whole grains, cereal fiber, total fiber, fruit, or vegetables decreases the risk of CHD by ≥30%, irrespective of other lifestyle behaviors. These observations encourage us to recommend that ≥3 servings of whole grains be consumed daily."

Those are just from the abstracts of the first 7 studies from the link I posted. But obviously it is a conspiracy by big agra and every scientist is in big agra's pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Dirlot likes to ask for studies and I reply with hundreds and he says they are all flawed...

grains heart - Google Scholar
    I never once said your studies were flawed. I really wish you would stop stooping to lying about things.

I agree all your studies show that whole grains are better than refined grains. What I disagree with is that makes them good. Replacing a poison with a lessor poison does not make it healthy.

I in your grain thread there were plenty of post showing how bad grains were not big studies but they are there.

You still have not posted one study that shows that eating tasteless, nutritionally deficient grains is better than avoiding them.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I only have one person on this whole forum on ignore.

If you feel fine eating grains, go ahead and eat them. Perhaps the Primal Blueprint is better appreciated by people who are in their 40s or so and starting to feel the effects of eating the SAD all their lives. Perhaps it's better appreciated by people with PCOS or diabetes or obesity. Maybe it's wasted on people in their 20s. Maybe people in their 20s should just download the fitness book and do that and skip all the diet stuff.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

MadelynMc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    The latter. You created a problem where there wasn't one in the first place. Stop eating meat for a few months and eat a steak...you will probably feel sick too. That doesn't mean that you have a problem digesting steak.

And to answer your question, there is absolutely no study that has shown that whole grains are bad for you.
    Wow. I haven't been on this forum in months and imagine my surprise... the first thread I read at that! I can't believe you're still trolling around these parts. How very, very sad. Move on.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast