Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheat page 11

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Indeed, no-one is talking about only eating grains every single day for every single meal- I eat plenty of fat - as well as protein - as well as carbs - grains with gluten aren't a staple, there are plenty of different whole carb sources one can choose from - but I believe I could manage fitting regular pasta every once in a while.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Ok....there was a presenter at the whole food deal that stated that something like 25-60% of people of European decent had gluten intolerance AND that the normal test used for gluten intolerance had 50% false negatives. Tests are only so specific and gluten as a trigger for autoimmune disorders has been discussed over and over. If you have ANY autoimmune diseases in your family I would recommend extreme caution regardless of your acute reaction or not to wheat.

For those that feel it MAY be ok.....here is an interesting idea on why. It is not that we have genetically adapted to it, but that some of us have adapted to harboring a particular microbe that can detox it for us. This is the likely mechanism for anyone you can point to and say "well they ate wheat their whole life and had no problem (that we know of....did they have arthritis?)" Here is that link Lucas Tafur: gluten

My take away from all of it is that there is currently no test worth taking to determine your tolerance, and we are just assuming too high of a risk by keeping it in the diet in its current form.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    @forgotmyusername
    I don't agree with a population thriving on low-fat

@Darz did you read the studies? if you think you are fine eating wheat then why ask the question in the first place?

@Neckhammer spot on.

I know it has been pointed out before but the body can take and adapt to toxins much better when you are younger. I know some people think that is a cop-out but it is not. When I think about some of the ways I ate when I was out when I was younger there was no way I could have done that when I was older (even prePrimal).
    Last edited by Dirlot; 07-13-2012 at 07:10 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Ok....there was a presenter at the whole food deal that stated that something like 25-60% of people of European decent had gluten intolerance AND that the normal test used for gluten intolerance had 50% false negatives.
    I'm sure that there are plenty of presenters at random vegetarian meetings that say that meat is poison. It doesn't make it true. Lets see some research that backs this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Fat is essential for life, so it is not just about calories.
    If you need the calories fats are much better than grains and much tastier.
    It is all about context. This is a HUGE generalization. At least say something like sweet potatoes is a better alternative to grains than fat. Fat is essential to life, but only a VERY VERY small amount of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Again, nuances. Of course protein and fat are essential. But ultimately populations of people can still thrive on diets low in fat, low in protein or low in carbohydrate.
    Fat is needed for life, but you could get all the fat you needed to survive if your diet was 100% grains and vegetables.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    I'm sure that there are plenty of presenters at random vegetarian meetings that say that meat is poison. It doesn't make it true. Lets see some research that backs this up.
    I'm not debating trolls....use your own google, my times too valuable to spell things out to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I'm not debating trolls....use your own google, my times too valuable to spell things out to you.
    So you don't have the study? Ok. Great.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    So you don't have the study? Ok. Great.
    Pot calling kettle black?!?!?

Still waiting for that study that shows eating grains is better than not eating them
    . And as much as you continue to post links to whole grains studies they do not answer the question asked.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 07-13-2012 at 09:28 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    It is all about context. This is a HUGE generalization. At least say something like sweet potatoes is a better alternative to grains than fat. Fat is essential to life, but only a VERY VERY small amount of it.
    You need very little fat to live yeah. You need very little carbs to live as well. What's optimal?
    Billie trips balls

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast