Thread: Cholesterol Test - Non Fasted? page

Fossman is offline Member

Cholesterol Test - Non Fasted?

Primal Fuel
    So I went to get my blood work done and my doctor said I have high cholesterol not surpised there. However my question is how bad can it mess up a cholesterol test if you havent fasted before hand? my test was done at about 3 in the afternoon and I had a breakfast of 6 eggs and 6 pieces of bacon at about 6:30am and had a couple cups of coffee throughout the day with a little cream. My doctor said it shouldnt cause any issues with the test but that it might come out a little high. Now that the test did come out high I am wondering how much not being fasted could screw the results up?

Thanks

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I don't know by how much, but if you want to know, then just schedule a fasted test! Did they tell you the actual number or just say it's high? Because really, it may not be that high and it may not be "dangerous".
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

They said

total: 306
    LDL: 185
    HDL:77
    Trigs:219

Which is really why I am wondering if taking the test non fast could mess up the results and to what extent

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Unfasted jacks it up. To what extent depends on a lot of factors. Your doctor probably was hoping it would come back near normal (unfasted isn't going to lower it).....so it would be a nonissue.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Also, if you are following a Primal way of eating, how long have you been doing so? Your numbers can often be quite high when you're new to this way of eating, but within a few months, your cholesterol should be lower.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I was introduced to primal last november but I didnt really get into it and commit to this way of eating until about 4 months ago.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Took 3 months for my cholesterol to improve.

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    The cream probably increased those triglycerides seeing as dietary fat is essentially triglycerides. Think of triglycerides and blood glucose being similar. Carbs spike glucose, fat spikes triglycerides. I don't know how much effect it would have, but 219 is enormous considering you've been primal for 4 months.

Isn't it standard practice for a doctor to tell their patient to fast (10-12 hours) beforehand

peril is offline Senior Member
    Not fasting mucks up the trigs reading but has little effect on the other readings. Problem is that HDL and trigs are the two most important starts in a lipid panel
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

PrimalCon New York
    I was surprised by the Triglycerides being so high. It is standard practice but I went in not planning to have my cholesterol tested and then while I was there he said it would save me an appointment to do it that day and asked when I had last ate. I think I am just going to have them redo the test because I would like to have some sort of base for later on.