Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: because of my cat ! - artys primal journal page 7

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artyscat View Post
    (SNIP)

The Olympic torch has arrived in London we are all bracing ourselves for transport chaos next week, but there's quite a bit of excitement too, a colleague won a ticket to the 2nd last day of Olympics on mayors lottery and thinks he may see usain bolt
    Which is amazing...less amazing is the surface to air missiles round the neighbourhoods....really surreal to see ....

(SNIP)
    I'm just catching up with MDA...

I've been following this on the news. Must be surreal, indeed, looking up and seeing them!

How is the general feeling over there? Are you confident it's all under control and you're all just excited about the games? Or is there an undercurrent of tension or apprehension?
    Last edited by KerryK; 07-21-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Grammar... *sigh*

artyscat is offline Senior Member
    Hi idioteque

So agree stupid vets ! All our cats now eat wet food only and they are happy and v healthy......our vet sells sacks of that "science plan" dry food for pets which hilariously is meant to be healthy.....what can I say feline diabetes is on the increase and so are fat puddys ...shame!

Anyhow nice to hear from someone else with similar story ....glad your cat has done so well too

So the Olympics .....well I think we feel pretty well on the case generally the site is really amazing and it's in a part of London that's been so in need of regeneration. Of course the blooming media is always trying to stir the pot in terms of what could go wrong but frankly I think most people feel secure about what's been put together, there was a rather stupid cock-up with security staff but since the staff shortfall has been replaced with the army we probably could not do better as the troops will do an excellent job..quite a few are just back from Afghanistan so I guess security is high on their agenda....of course we would all rather that we didn't have to have this level of security including surface to air missile and battle ship moored on the Thames but that's reality now.....

As to the aforementioned missiles they appeared sort of out of the blue, we did hear rumours that they would be putting them in some neighbourhoods but until they actually appeared I think we thought it was going to be more like sabre rattling but nope there they are behind their temporary fence with all their mobile communication stuff and attendant personnel....while the rest of us walk the dog, play football, or have a picnic ...so its is v v surreal at least they,re not on the roof of your home which is where they are in parts of the east end !!

We sailed down the river with other boats yesterday to check out the battleship at Greenwich too...had a lovely sail with light airs and boats decorated with bunting ...I think we made quite a picture so we are even getting some recreational value out of these unusual visitors !!

Otherwise we are all thrilled that at last it seems our wet weather is moving away with the jet stream at last arranging itself where it should be at this time of year so hopefully there will even be some good weather for the games....We have had such terrible rain and gloom for weeks and weeks that any bit of sunshine is welcomed with open arms and of course exposing of our terrible pale and pasty limbs....of course I am just referring to self, My legs alone could guide aircraft in fog , so pale they are...today is going to be 73deg so I'm off to find my shorts and get to doing some gardening !!

Just entered my exercise on fitness pal ..gardening 3 hrs...834 cals according to the site, can that be true ?? Seems like a heck of a lot to me just putting in a few plants and pruning/thinning some overgrown jasmine n elder ....prune a climbing rose and general tidy up am quite giddy with idea i still have 1770 cals or something to "spend"....it's really got to be nonsense I don't think I worked hard at all....feedback most welcome but it must be based on digging or something ...thoughts ?

Yesterdays food

B bratwurst poached egg
    L veg soup with goat cheddar
    S roast pork shoulder with apple sauce cabbage carrots roast sweet potato choco mug cake strawbs creme fraiche 3gls red wine

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Hi artsycat,

I'm no expert for sure but given that just sitting on a couch for three hours would likely burn 250 calories, (based on a basal metabolic rate of 2000 cals per day), that leaves 584 burned during your activity, which works out to about 195 extra calories burned per hour. Looking at it this way it seems more likely.

Maybe I need to get out into the garden! :-)

Hi Dcarr10760 !

Wow ! Thanks so much for answering ...that does make much more sense I think and it does look like gardening may be better for me than I realise , which is great !..maybe that's why Mark Sissions recommends moving around slowly....anyhow thanks again !

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I'm not surprised that gardening burns a lot of calories, and Dcarr is spot on. I have always gotten annoyed at the advice of 'experts' who discount regular activities such as housework, gardening, cleaning the garage, etc. If exercise isn't done in a gym in a prescribed manner it is worthless, apparently. Funny how the human race survived for millennia without 24 Hour Fitness centers.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    You are welcome!

I once sat down with FitDay (like fitness pal, I think) and entered in all of my data. They said that with light to moderate activity, I should be eating 3500 calories a day. Since I was eating only 2000, I should have a deficit of 1500 cals. per day or 10500 per week, for a weight loss of 3 pounds a week, all nice and tidy. But it didnt work out at all, so I dropped down to 1500 cal. and still not much scale movement. This is part of the frustration I had with conventional diets.

Now that I am on PB (after a month with Paleo) I have started to see movement again. It was sort of the missing piece for me.

primal me is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just browsed through this thread and I have to jump in. I was just petting my 16 year old tortie this morning and marvelling at how thin she is compared to this same time last year and a brainstorm occurred! When she was diagnosed diabetic 2 years ago I immediately set out to find the lowest GI food I could and switched her from a reasonably low food made locally to an even lower food with no grains made by the same company. Of course it cost more but she was our first baby I guess her body took it's time to heal cause this winter we almost killed her with her insulin. Her pancreas had started producing insulin on it's own! I was amazed and glad that we figured out what was happening before we did kill her! After she was weaned off the insulin shots she started to lose weight and at first I was worried, sudden weight loss is a sign of diabetes but she had no other symptoms. This morning it occurred to me that when I switched her to a "primal" food her body first healed itself then shed the excess weight.

So now my cat is an inspiration to me, I have been primal for over a month now and have lost 16 lbs so far. When the scale doesn't move I must be in a healing stage. I will notice my clothes get bigger before I notice the scale drop. I am encouraged to not micromanage as my body is doing what comes naturally and lately it has had a lot of healing to do as I have damaged my back over the years and the most recent injury has left my right leg numb for almost 3 weeks. Feeling is starting to return but we still don't know what happened. I woke up one morning with excruciating pain radiating from my right hip all the way down my leg. I headed into the chiropractor for an adjustment and I've been seeing him frequently since then. About two days after that the leg went numb ( a relief from pain to be sure but a worrisome development all the same). I'm still walking as much as I can and we've continued with our regular routines, but my weight loss is 100% diet and not exercise related.

I'm glad to see so many cat lovers, we do seem to migrate to each other. Our home is blessed to have 1 barn cat 16 yo, 1 walk in long haired blue cat approx 13 yo, 1 store bought yorkie-pooh about 5 yo and 1 rescued shepherd-collie cross about 3 1/2 years old. I should maybe mention the three sons, 15, 14, and 11 who also dwell here but some days I pretend they aren't mine

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast