Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: because of my cat ! - artys primal journal page 4

artyscat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    ok otherwise scotch eggs

I actually got this recipe from somewhere on this site (which is an amazing source of every kind of info, really I love it !)

but probably adapted it

I bought some pork mince from Tesco and not the lean one either ...

I added to it ground cumin & nutmeg, pinch of cayenne, fresh parsley and sage finely chopped, salt pepper one egg and mushed it all together.

boiled eggs did not time but until I thought they were hard more than 5 mins I think and left to cool in cold water

peel eggs when cold - take some of the pork mixture and mould it round the eggs, then fry in pan until nicely browned all over (I used some of that hemp oil that I just found ) drain on some kitchen paper

devour when appropriate ....

plus I had lots of pork mix left over so I used that to make us some 'sausages' for breakfast today ..v good they were too

other than that DH and I have hangovers this morning which is truly horrible , I think that alcohol seems to have a worse effect on me since I stopped the carb thing - it was a Thai meal for our friends birthday so I skipped the rice, noodles etc but did have some banana fritter and ice-cream but not a huge amount as we were sharing between 7 of us, obviously there was also a lot of whine ...anyhow whatever my head was pounding this morning and I felt disgusting ....yuuuuk ..DH had horrible tinnitus - so let that be a lesson ...watch out for the rose whine !

yesterdays food

B 1 peach , handful strawberries, 2 small almond pancakes, heaped dsp greek yoghurt
    L grilled chicken and large salad, celery, red pepper, red onion, lettuce, broccoli, camembert, tomato, cucumber, with mayo ( I was really hungry but actually did not enjoy this meal for some reason..)
    D thai restaurant - chicken sate, fish, green curry, salad, banana fritter ice cream - too much whine
    Last edited by artyscat; 07-14-2012 at 03:25 AM.

tachikomoo is offline Member
    I LOVE orange kitties!! dunno what it is about them, they always seem so silly and playful, yours is gorgeous I'll defo try the scotch eggs recipe, and yes I'm nursing a wine hangover too, but just a little one thankfully!

thanks Tachi - I do love oringe kats two ! ...we did have another one as well who got diabetes, he was elderly though and we lost him earlier this year due to another health problem he developed , sadly that was just after he went into remission from diabetes but happy memories nonetheless, I think they have lots of ..........purrsonality !! (aaargh !)

we have another tabby but he also has an oringe tum - maybe will post a pic of him if I can find a good one but he has always been v healthy and loves hunting (mice not birds thankfully) so he has had no health issues and didn't care about cat bics or treats ......

Reese is offline Junior Member
    I wanted to chime in on the cat nutrition! Trying to feed my cat also got me thinking about what I was feeding myself and opened me up to trying this.
    My cat was a stray and he lovessss eating bugs. He also likes dry food. He'll lick the gravy off wet but won't eat it. But he likes raw meat. I was giving him raw chicken for quite a while in an effort to reduce his hairballs and post-meal puking, but now I buy him this thing called 'radcat' which is raw turkey (all the parts he'd eat in nature) and eggs and such and he loves it. He begs for the stuff. He throws up probably 1/4 of the time he used to, even compared to when he was just on a grain free dry food.

My cat's an orange tabby =) People think his coloring is strange, I'm not sure why - seems regular orangey to me. He's a 'classic' pattern - has big round bubble-like stripes on his thighs.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Orange kitties are really special...one of my best cat friends ever, long gone to the great hunting grounds, was a big orange classic tabby, with the distinctive bullseye pattern and more personality than any cat has a right to. What a special cat she was! But your before and after pics are really inspiring me to stick with this project and get them onto better food. Tubby cat is too young to be heavy and face health issues like diabetes. I will keep trying!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

entwyf is offline Senior Member
    I have started journaling on Mark's Daily Apple and was directed here by Siobhan. Great to discover other cat people. I have three cats and have been racking my braiin as to a fairly simple, inexpensive way to give them much more in the way of protein and much less in the way of carbs. My cats will eat almost anything if I introduce it slowly.

I have been trying my best to tread the Primal path for about a year and a half now, but I've been much more concerned with the sleep aspect than anything else. I have sleep apnea and have used a CPAP for five years with only marginal improvement in my sleep. This week I made a commitment to get super-serious about eating right; if significant weight loss can help me get rid of my CPAP--so that I can do like my cats and lie on the floor and sleep--then I will be very happy.

Anyway, this is a lively journal. I loved the videos. At the end of a long work week, it was great to laugh!

Edith

well its just so great to see more cat people emerging - wow ! and everyone wondering about food too , which I guess is not a surprise since we are interested in that issue but nonetheless I am soo pleased that there are questions

- it really was a bummer when we discovered the damage that cat food was doing to our old and much loved mog so I would be happy if I can spread the word even a little - in some places like scandinavian countries pet food manufacturers are not allowed to add carb based fillers to pet food - so its not like this info is unknown its just that cat bics and cat food with rice, soya , wheat etc are whats available mostly in the EU and probably US....its possible to get low carb cat food which is not very expensive and if you consider the costs on treating a pet with diabetes its actually pretty good value

here in the UK we get our catfood online and buy a brand called Bozita - the range in tins is the lowest in carbs (they have tetra packs too but they are not so low in carbs )

also check out this website - Home | Diabetic Cat Help its a US based site and in the forum under talking TR they have lists of food that are low carb and not too pricey ( I think ?)

I have posted this info below also fyi - we also buy chicken and beef liver for our cats both of which are very cheep ( ) and the cats do love them - I just give them to them raw , chopped up a bit but a good old chew is good for 'em ! there is also a link to a carb calculator for cat food which is v useful

this is a very looong post but hope its helpful

Fancy Feast Classic Pate All grain and gluten free, no veggies, fruits
    Chicken Feast (wine label color)...........6.81%
    Tender Beef & Liver (magenta)............9.09%
    Tender Liver & Chicken (orange)...........6.81%
    Chopped Grill (kelly green).................5.45%
    Tender Beef & Chicken (red)................5.45%
    Tender Beef (brown).........................9.09%
    Turkey & Giblets (olive green)..............6.81%
    Seafood Feast (teal)..........................9.09%
    Salmon & Shrimp Feast (blue green)........9.09%
    Savory Salmon Feast (orange)...............9.09%

Fancy Feast Chunky Both listed flavors have wheat gluten, but both are under 10% carbs
    Chunky Turkey Feast (Blue label)............9.09%
    Chunky Chicken Feast (green label).........9.09%

Fancy Feast Appetizers
    The only FF Appetizer close to the 10% or below carb requirement for TR is the Steamed Tilapia in broth, which calculates to 10.0% carbs based on dry matter. All other varieties calculated to between 13.3% and 14.6% carbs based on dry matter.

These products not "balanced" as they contain no vitamins, taurine or other required amino acids; nor do they have a proper calcium to phosphorus ratio (1:.2:1, they can be 1:33) and should be used for supplemental feeding only. This product may be fed as treats along with a complete and balanced cat food diet.

Instinctive Choice Only one flavor made, buy online or at specialty pet boutiques. Carbs .0%

Evo 95% These foods are grain free. Buy at any Specialty Pet store or online. Carbs are calculated with the both the Nutritional Analysis and the Guaranteed Analysis from the Evo website. The NA numbers are the more correct numbers. Some of the numbers for GA total more than 100%, which skews the carb content.
    95% Beef .............................6.43% (NA) 7.14% (GA)
    95% Chicken & Turkey...............3.73% (NA) 0.41% (GA)
    95% Duck..............................6.97% (NA) 5.46% (GA)
    95% Venison...........................8.18% (NA) 0.00% (GA)
    Kitten Turkey and Chicken..........6.25% (NA) 0.00% (GA)

By Nature Organics 95% Foods Grain Free. Buy online or at specialty pet boutiques
    95% Beef.................................6.81%
    95% Chicken & Chicken Liver.........6.81%
    95% Turkey & Turkey Liver............6.81%
    95% Salmon, Mackerel & Sardines.....6.81%By Nature 95%

Wellness Core Canned Ground potatoes are the only real objectionable ingredient, but don't seem to affect the carb content. Some cats do seem to have digestive problems with many of the Wellness foods.
    Chicken, Turkey & Chicken Liver......1.82%
    Salmon, Whitefish & Herring............6.14%

Purina Pro Plan
    Adult Chicken & Liver....................4.54%
    Adult Ocean Whitefish & Salmon........6.81%
    Adult Chicken..............................9.1%
    Kitten Chicken & Liver...................0.0%
    Kitten Salmon & Ocean Fish..............0.0%

Purina One SmartBlend Classic Pate
    Beef............6.8%
    Turkey.........6.8%
    Chicken........6.8%

Purina Veterinarian
    DM.....5% (2.9 ash added)
    UR.....9.5% (2.9 ash added)
    NF.....8.45%

Friskies All flavors contain rice and are over 10% dry matter carbs needed for TR - three flavors with lowest carbs listed below
    Chicken Tuna Dinner......11.36 %
    Supreme Supper...........11.36%
    Poultry Platter.............11.36%

Friskies Special Diet for Urinary Health, Classic Pate
    Beef and Chicken.......7.7%
    Beef and Liver..........7.7%
    Ocean Whitefish.......10%
    Turkey and Giblets.....10%

9 Lives All flavors are over 15% dry matter carbs so are not appropriate when practicing TR.

Sheba - Pate Only Available at PetSmart
    Beef.................. 11.36400%
    Salmon................ 3.63600%
    Chicken............... 6.81800%
    Turkey................. 6.81800%
    Chicken & Liver...... 6.81800%

EverPet (Dollar General Brand)
    Turkey and Giblets.....4.5%
    Chicken Dinner.........6.8%

Best Feline Friend (BFF)
    Tuna and Salmon in aspic....... 4.7%
    Tuna and Chicken Chuckles..... 4.7%
    Tuna and Tilapia Twosome...... 4.7%

Tiki Cat - meat flavors
    Koolina Luau.........5%
    Puka Puka Luau......5%

Tiki Cat - fish and chicken flavors
    Hookina Luau........ 5%
    Napili Luau........... 5%

Tiki Cat - fish flavors
    Hawaiian Grill....... 5%
    Lanai Luau........... 3%
    Manana Luau........ 10%
    Bora Bora Luau..... 1.6%
    Hanelei Luau........ 5%

Ziwi Peak
    Natural New Zealand Venison............. 4.2%
    Natural New Zealand Lamb................ 0%
    Natural New Zealand Venison & Fish..... 0%

Authority (contains brewer’s rice)
    Kitten Pate Chicken & Liver.......... 7.5%
    Kitten Pate Chicken & Lamb.......... 7.5%
    Adult Turkey & Giblets............... 10.4%

Triumph (contains rice flour)
    Turkey Formula for Kittens.......4.5%
    Adult Beef..........................9% (3% ash added to calculation)
    Adult Chicken & Liver............9% (3% ash added to calculation)
    Turkey..............................9% (3% ash added to calculation)

Hi Tor
    Neo diet- Feline kidney diet......5% (3% ash added to calculation)
    Felo diet- Urinary tract diet......4.5% (3% ash added to calculation)

anyhow back to what I am eating !

yesterday

B 2 eggs scrambeled, 2 primal sausages
    L home made veg soup with a dsp grated goat cheddar
    D primal moussaka - green salad - G&B 80% choc - 5 squares
    Snacks : olives, almonds, camembert cheese, peach

was very hungry yesterday due to the excesses of the previous evening I suspect ...felt pretty queasy all day too which was not good as nothing seemed to settle my tum ...bleuuuugh ..did have carb cravings too but found that eating a piece of fruit did help but I do think that the truth is I miss bread - does that feeling go away - I hope so ...

great that the rocket and poached egg thing is working for other people too

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast