Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: because of my cat ! - artys primal journal page 2

artyscat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Everyone (who is everyone, anyway?) says they need the kibble for their teeth, which actually makes no sense to me - it is just shatters and doesn't do any teeth cleaning. Seems to me that knawing on meat would clean their teeth nicely. And not feeding them corn would help also. Corn is horrible for teeth. Okay, now you've got me thinking....
    Hi Siobhan ! yes the cats only have wet food now - and its either tinned or I just buy livers at the supermarket but they still need lots of other nutrients so I cannot just feed them raw meat even though they do love it

- and too right about those kibbles ..they actually cause the cats to get more tartar on their teeth and a feline dental is tres tres expensive - I have the bills to prove it - yikes !

and also that stuff really does give them feline diabetes (FD) and makes them overweight (too many carbs , cats cannot digest carbs at all, even worse than us 'umans !) ..I was just so fed up when I discovered that plus FD is getting seriously common because of all this dried food thats being pushed..its often coated in really tasty cat num num junk that manufacturers discovered that cats cannot resist ...cheeky lot they are

b almond pancakes, strawberries, 1 tbsp maple syrup - I was really hungry probably shouldnt have had the maple syrup - seems I have more of a sugar thing than I realise perhaps
    L salad of lettuce, celery, carrot, apple, red onion, chicken 1 tbsp homemade mayo, water , cup of tea with milk
    d lamb steak, broccoli, carrots
    snacks walnuts, almonds, camembert cheese
    Last edited by artyscat; 07-12-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I adore Simon's Cat - brilliant stuff. I watch these vids when I need cheering up.

This is probably inappropriate for me to say, but I think you need more fat in your diet. Instead of sugary stuff, put fat on your food. Okay, I will shut up now. (But I'm a big believer in fat.)

Tomorrow I will have rocket, tomato, and an egg for breakfast. (We call it arugula on this side of the Pond, but I like rocket better.)
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

with a trickle of olive oil ...really yum ! have a go ...

well Henri is a new intro for me and made me laugh too ! thanks for the tip on fat will give that a go I have been finding myself feeling really hungry mid afternoon so maybe thats why - any suggestions as to what to eat - I have been have some cheese , ( (think I may not have logged these snacks ) but put in yesterdays so let me know what you think its useful to get other ideas/opinions -thanks !

ok so far and so good - I have been getting pretty ravenous though mid afternoon I notice which is a bit of a bore and I keep looking at the cracker tin ...eeek ! but haven't fallen and anyhow think I won't as I am definitely feeling trimmer round the middle so thats encouraging me to continue ..

but still had lots of other temptation to go off-primal today - DH and I planned to sail his little boat down-river so he could compete in a regatta at the weekend which meant an early 5.30am start but it was a beautiful morning - clear blue skies which we really haven't seen here for weeks and weeks...

we were both dealt a crushing blow however when the engine failed early on in our little cruse, as the river is busy and has lots of traffic - some of which is seriously large - it just didn't make sense to continue as its not safe to depend only upon the wind ...we were both gutted as it was such a glorious day and we had bounced out of the door full of excitement ...poor DH was so down so we went for a country pub lunch and I managed to resist the temptation of both delicious bitter and various off-primal offerings like fish and chips...he fell for ham eggs and chips with a pint of best bitter, he felt sooo bloated but said he got over his disappointment a bit !

so far today I ate

B omlette, coffee

L prawn cocktail , scotch egg and salad

Snacks goat cheddar, celery , almond pancake with creme fraiche and fresh strawberries again starving at 4pm...

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried coconut oil? It contains MCTs - a type of fat that behaves sort of like a carb in the body except that it doesn't provoke an insulin response - it is easily burned for energy. It looks like you are there already, but for me breakfast has to be very high fat/high protein with as few carbs as possible or I will be hungry all day. I have a greater tolerance for carbs later on, i.e. I'm not ravenous an hour after eating a few. You can put coconut cream in your coffee, cook your eggs in coconut oil. Be sure to test it out carefully in case it doesn't agree with you. I work the night shift and often get very cold in the middle of the night - some coconut oil warms me up but doesn't make me hungry.

Sorry about the mishap with the sailing - I live in a sailing/boating community here, I feel your pain. I don't have a boat myself, but I am surrounded by them, literally and figuratively.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Annakay is offline Junior Member
    My cat has always eaten kibble. She will not eat meat, ever heard of a cat who does not like meat? If I offer her wet food she will lick the gravy and leave the meat. She loves a bit of white fish, turns her nose up at oily fish. I think it would be very difficult to get her on to a primal diet.

thanks Siobhan - I have been reading about coconut oil and did try to track some down but all I found so far is hemp oil which I got since I read its full of goodie omega's think I will go hunting coconut !

yes was a real bummer about our sail ....weeps into tea ! we seem to have the worst luck with crusing DH is a fanatical racer and I am a fair weather sailor (almost impossible in the UK :roll eyes: ) last time we tried to take off I did my knee in so was too disabled to jump round a little very tippy boat ....

o well - we make our own fun ! and cats were pleased we were home so they could hassle us for food

o yes annakay - I have one cat who was totally dedicated to her biscuits and did that very thing licked the gravy off other food , used to drive me mad as I had to throw out so many left overs ....and I really worried when I switched them all to low carb wet food ...but as eating high carb could have given my diabetic cat a serous health problem (going hypo) I really had to go for it

anyhow it seemed like the thing was that with high grade food she was ok, I did try a few tricks like buying pure meat freeze-dried cat treats and crushing them over food as she just loved those even more than biscuits - and she really does love raw liver so now she is generally fine and actually her appetite is better I think...plus she has lost soooo much weight ..just like I really want and need too ...hence the inspiration for going primal ..

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast