Thread: Help needed during fasting page

sammiejay is offline Junior Member

Thumbs down Help needed during fasting

Shop Now
    Okay, this is my first post on the sight so bare with me....

I have been following primal now for around 4-5 weeks so am fairly new at it. I have been following it throughout monday - saturday and allowing sunday for my 'cheat' day. Usually then on a monday i will fast for around 20 hours up until 6pm (ish) and then only eat protein...

However this weekend has not been the best for me. I was away and i had my cheat day as normal on sunday and planned on being good yesterday however that did not go to plan.. I completely binged again and now I'm feeling to put it lightly 'crap'.

I want to fast all of today and most of tomorrow however i know i am going to struggle to get past 20 hours.. Does anyone have any tips on getting past that time?? I know if i manage it i will feel soo much better and not beat myself up about having a slip up

Help would be much appreciated

Sammie xx

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I would recommend just eating Primal food and not fasting. And cutting out the cheat day. It sounds like you're setting yourself up for somewhat disordered eating where you are "bad" and "punish" yourself (by fasting) based on how bad you were.

I know there are some members here who have a weekly cheat, but to me that's setting yourself up for failure. If you never break your ties with unhealthy foods, you will always crave them. I'm not saying you can never have bread/whatever ever again, but planned once a week is not the best way. Try going one month with absolutely no "cheating" and see if you don't feel better.

sammiejay is offline Junior Member
    Yeah i see where your coming from, I am normally pretty good with my will power and leave any forbidden foods to a sunday and i'm back into it first thing the next day, it has been suggested that maybe instead of having a cheat 'day' i have just 1 meal where i eat non primal/paleo so maybe i should try that to start off with so i dont feel like i'm on a 'diet' as such. I also train every morning 6days a week so i guess i shouldn't beat myself up over it too much.

thanks for the advice

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I don't think fasting is a good idea for you if it causes you to binge. Keep sunday as your cheat day (don't go overboard though) and just eat like normal on monday.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Honestly, I would recommend just eating Primal food and not fasting. And cutting out the cheat day. It sounds like you're setting yourself up for somewhat disordered eating where you are "bad" and "punish" yourself (by fasting) based on how bad you were.

I know there are some members here who have a weekly cheat, but to me that's setting yourself up for failure. If you never break your ties with unhealthy foods, you will always crave them. I'm not saying you can never have bread/whatever ever again, but planned once a week is not the best way. Try going one month with absolutely no "cheating" and see if you don't feel better.
    This is absolutely spot on. Eat real food when you're hungry. Forget 80/20 and cheat days for now. You're way over your 20 percent without even realizing it during the 6 days you think you're adhering. Fasting comes later. When you've "fixed your metabolism," to oversimplify the matter. If you need something sweet, eat fruit and don't feel guilty about it. If you need something starchy, have a sweet potato or banana or something and don't feel guilty or try to "undo" it.