Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genetic modification of food page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Genetic modification of food

Primal Fuel
    The more I research, the more I'm wondering if it's not the foods that are bad for us, but the genetically modified versions of them? It's pretty messed up when you think about it - that we're eating foods that have effectively been created with lab work and chemicals.

Some examples of genetic modification:

The Wheat we eat is actually Dwarf wheat.

Corn, soya beans and sugar cane have been genetically modified by scientists so they are able to tolerate crop spray.

Scientists have genetically modified sweet corn, and potatoes so that they produce a poison which kills harmful insects (!!!!!!!)

Long-lasting, genetically modified tomatoes came on to the market in 1994 and were the first genetically modified food available to consumers. The genetically modified tomato produces less of the substance that causes tomatoes to rot, so remains firm and fresh for a long time. Strawberries, pineapples, sweet peppers and bananas have all been genetically modified by scientists to remain fresh for longer.

Mark has written a post on apples, and how they are sweeter now than they used to be.

What are your views?

Does anyone know of research that looks into the effects of GM food on humans?

I'm differenciating between Genetic Modification and selective breeding. Selective breeding is just making nature adapt to suit our needs. Genetic Modification is taking the gene from a fish that lives in very cold seas and inserting it into a strawberry, allowing the fruit to be frost-tolerant. (apparently this is true!!!!!!) And the stuff above (though maybe not the apples?)

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Hi YogaBare.

I'm very much against genetic modification, but maybe that's because I live in the UK where some ass decided it would be a great idea to feed cows with ground up sheep, resulting in BSE.

GM ingredients in food have to be labelled if over 0.9% in the European Union. There are NO GM crops grown in all 27 EU countries, GM crops are banned. There are some trials going on but they have been consistently sabotaged by activists. The activists are not alone, the overwhelming majority of consumers within the EU don't want GM food.

Because of the actions of companies like Monsanto, more than 77% of the world's soya is now GM. As a result, it is expensive to feed animals and poultry non GM feed.

In the EU, animal/poultry products from animals/poultry fed on GM feed do NOT have to be labelled. I checked this with DEFRA and this has been allowed by EU Regulation (not a law) since 2003. So people are consuming eggs, butter, milk, steak, offal etc not knowing that the animals and poultry which they came from were fed on GM feed, be it grain or manufactured pellets.

One UK supermarket, Waitrose, still insists that farmers rearing animals and poultry for ALL their ranges, don't feed GM.

ASDA and Morrisons allow GM feed in all ranges except organic. Lidl allows GM feed in all ranges except organic and Bally Manor. Sainsbury's allows GM feed in some ranges and list them on their corporate website. I didn't bother asking Tesco because they add sodium acetate, dried glucose syrup and 11% water to plain pork loin steaks which the other supermarkets don't allow. (All this research done by me personally).

In the EU, organic food has to be 95% organic and it cannot contain either GM ingredients or ingredients from animals/poultry fed on GM feed.

I have written to my MP and he has forwarded that on to the Minister for Food and Agriculture, Jim Paige, to ask why consumers in the UK are not being given more information on their food and I'm waiting for a reply.

I have become a Friend of the Soil Association, and am buying organic whenever I can.

I remember seeing cans of genetically modified tomato paste in Sainsbury's and it was really cheap. Virtually the entire stack sat there unbought. We don't see GM ingredients in our food because we don't want it and the product wouldn't get bought.

More and more people are developing allergies and serious food intolerances because of the industrialised Western diet. Virtually all supermarkets here now have Free From ranges ie free from dairy or eggs or gluten.

As for research, suggest you start by Googling (other search engines are available) 'GM toxins found in human blood'.

Well done for raising the subject !

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Most GMO are seeds. The problem is with all these GMO seeds over time it will overtime destroy or taint any real seeds or natrual growth across much of the earth.. somewhat replacing nature.
    Last edited by statikcat; 07-10-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Presumably that's why Bill Gates got involved with seed banks...

Artichoke - wow. Thanks for all the info!! I'm looking into this quite a lot right now. I'm also based in the UK - would you mind if I pmed you?

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I think it's very scary because we do not yet know what impact GM or hybridization does to humans. It's been over 30yrs since they started messing with wheat by hybridization and we're just now seeing the impacts with the increase of celiac and other gluten issues.

Sure thing YogaBare, no probs.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, this is all quite scary stuff. I have no real answers except when I plant my garden I do look for Heirloom variety seeds. I'm in America and it is not even required to label this stuff so consider yourselves lucky.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Eek. Jim henson, if you're reading - here's why wheat is bad!!!

http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/02/13/t...makes-you-fat/

Anyone know of this guy, Mark Hyman? His name rings a bell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast