Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All hail the humble sausage page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Lamb, mint and onions makes a good sausage.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Boudin - sausage or balls - Primal and more Primal

So, I've been living in this odd place called New Orleans for about a year and a half. Part sophisticated city, part land that time forgot. And one of the yummy things here is called Boudin. Also sometimes spelled Boudain. I first had boudin balls at an "Irish" bar on Magazine St. that serves a fantastic, perfect maritini in a crappy trendy glass with no stem.

I found a recipe and now know why it's so delish: pork and liver. Omg, no wonder it's addictive.

Here's the recipe I found and I'll follow it with the changes I made and some observations.

Source: Boudin recipe, pork and rice Cajun sausage | Homesick Texan

Boudin

Ingredients:
    2 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 stalk of celery, diced
    1 medium yellow onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, chopped
    1/2 pound chicken livers
    2 cups cooked rice
    2 jalapeņos, seeds and stems removed, chopped
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon paprika
    2 green onions, chopped (green part only)
    1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
    Salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste

Method:
    Place the pork shoulder, celery, onion, garlic and bell pepper into a large pot. Cover with 2 inches of water, bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour. After an hour, add the chicken liver to the pot and continue to cook for 45 more minutes or until the pork is tender.

Strain the meat and vegetables, reserving the liquid. Finely dice the meat and vegetables with a knife, in a food processor or in a meat grinder set for a coarse grind. Once diced, place meat and vegetables in a bowl.

Add to the bowl the cooked rice, jalapeņos, thyme, oregano, paprika, green onions and parsley. Stir in 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and combine until the filling is moist and slightly sticky. If it appears too dry, add more of the reserved liquid. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt, pepper and cayenne.

To make boudin sausage, stuff into casing (see below for instructions) and then poach in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Alternatively, you can either serve the filling as a dressing, or you can roll it into walnut-sized balls, dip into finely crushed crackers and fry in 350 degree oil for 2 minutes or until brown to make boudin balls.

Yield: about 12 sausages or 5 cups of filling

Note: If you have any concerns about cooking the chicken livers in the pork pot, by all means you can cook the livers separately, and then mix them with the cooked pork and other pot vegetables when you dice them or run them through the food processor.
    Since I don't have a sausage stuffer, I made boudin balls. I made one batch with a lot less rice than in the recipe, and one batch with no rice. I wish I could report back that no rice came out as good, but alas, I had to make them patties to hold up. Maybe adding egg would help, but the recipe as is needs some rice.

Other changes I made were: I don't like celery, so I substituted bok choy. I also am not a fan of dried oregano, so I subbed dried basil.

Anyway, either with white rice or without, they are Primal. Without rice, they are super Primal and delicious. But I guess without rice, they should be made into sausage so they hold up.

I hope you enjoy. Pork + chicken liver is a taste sensation that is awesome. Emeril and some other recipes use pork liver, but since I know I like chicken liver, I started here.

Forgot to add.... I did not roll the boudin balls in bread crumbs.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    these look yummy! i can never find pork liver in the shops so chicken liver is much easier to get for us anyways. a sausage stuffer is just a funnel with something to push the sausage meat out in a tube. the trick is getting the tube of meat so slide evenly into the casings. could you make these like dolmas or wrap them in something like cabbage leaves instead to hold their shape?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    these look yummy! i can never find pork liver in the shops so chicken liver is much easier to get for us anyways. a sausage stuffer is just a funnel with something to push the sausage meat out in a tube. the trick is getting the tube of meat so slide evenly into the casings. could you make these like dolmas or wrap them in something like cabbage leaves instead to hold their shape?
    Cabbage leaves are a really good idea here. Mild enough to not overpower the original flavor. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12