Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: who here bbqs ? smoker talk only page 2

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Todd--thanks for the UDS info! Looks like my kind of project!
    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I have used a big chief for years, mostly to smoke salmon and a bit of jerky. I had hopes of buildng a proper smoker this summer but won't get around to it in all likelihood. Maybe next year. Years back, I spent summers at a fish camp and put up lots of smoked and dried salmon. Them were the days....

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I'm a cheater. My husband put a firebox on the side of our gas grill. I pile charcoal in it, add a box full of chips, and usually smoke whatever for a couple hours, then finish in the oven.

I've considered buying a for really-reals smoker. I probably smoke ribs/tri-tip/brisket once a month or so. As crappy as California BBQ is, I don't see us stopping this anytime soon.

Gimp56 is offline Junior Member
    I use a Traeger smoker after years of using bullet smokers and would never want to be without one on my patio now. I definitely do my share of pork butts, ribs, brisket, chicken thighs as well as whole chickens, wild shot geese and pheasant, homemade venison sausage, wild game jerky, salmon, etc. however lately I have been experimenting with making my own bacon as well as smoking pork belly by itself. In my opinion, pork belly is one of the most underutilized cuts of the pig. I know we all use it for bacon but no one ever thinks of it on its own.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    We just have a big chief now. Have done pork roast, spare ribs, salmon, bacon, blutwurst, cheese...can't recall everything, but we get a lot of mileage out of that little metal box.
    Here's a blog post I did with fantasy smokers. Some cool links too - Smokin! « Seven Trees Farm
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Rachtal is offline Junior Member
    I have 3 Big Green eggs. I think they are the best grill and smoker ever. I use mine most everyday. Tomorrow I am going to smoke a tri-tip. Yeaterday I seared a skirt steak and made fijita's. I have make smoked turkey, brisket, pulled pork, ribs and most everything else that can be put on a smoker.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Fiancé and I reallllllly want a Big Green Egg. They're pricey here in Canada tho.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I've been looking at these

Smokenator 1000 - Introduction

and wondering if I got one, could I just use my Weber kettle and sell the WSM?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I have a Brinkmann electric... which I guess isn't a "real" smoker, but it works really well and I like it.

I've got a skin-on picnic roast on there right now. I'm going to take it off in about 8 hours, let it rest for a good 30 minutes, then blast it in a 500 degree oven as shown in this recipe:

Ultra-Crispy Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder | Serious Eats : Recipes

Smoked pork rinds anyone!?

Primal Husker is offline Member
    I got a Traeger and am going to fire it up tonight for the first time. Pretty excited for this event. Need to learn the best way to cook on this grill as I'm coming from a gas grill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast