Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems feeling satisfied after a meal (several) page 2

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have noticed that eating clean, primal foods like meat and veggies leaves me not feeling "stuffed" even if I eat lots of it. I may or may not feel still hungry, but I rarely feel grossed-out full. I have noticed that I feel hungrier since I lost 25lbs. I don't know if that is because I have less fat on my body and that's what does it, or if it's my fat wanting to come back that is screaming "feed me!" or if it's because I have more muscle than I used to and thus need to eat more because I'm burning more. Could be all of those things.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Kylex286 is offline Member
    Well, I could say yes and no to that. I'm a Male btw. Though the cravings thing is kind of interesting. I do tend to grave dark chocolate a lot. I did read the post today which is why I posted to get a little bit more advice. I don't really eat to much fat on my meet because, idk, it just taste weird as I'm chewing it. Whenever I get a smaller piece it is easier to eat, but bigger one's I tend to stay away from.
    Last edited by Kylex286; 07-09-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have noticed that eating clean, primal foods like meat and veggies leaves me not feeling "stuffed" even if I eat lots of it. I may or may not feel still hungry, but I rarely feel grossed-out full. I have noticed that I feel hungrier since I lost 25lbs. I don't know if that is because I have less fat on my body and that's what does it, or if it's my fat wanting to come back that is screaming "feed me!" or if it's because I have more muscle than I used to and thus need to eat more because I'm burning more. Could be all of those things.
    I've lost close between 50 and 60. Last lime I checked it was 50, and even then I was eating more than I did before starting. I still do now. I never feel hungry hungry, I can easily go 24-25 hours without feeling sluggish or foggy. I still have an incredible amount of energy, wake up and sleep regularly, and have been gaining muscle with little to no heavy lifting. I can nearly pull my friends 40lb bow. idk, I was just getting a little worried on whether or not I should be concerned.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    If your diet is mostly muscle meat and veggies you may want to consider adding in the "rest" of the animal and some seafood. Liver, bone broths, bone marrow are all filled with nutrients at a density and variety much greater than muscle meat. Starting a meal with a nice rich homemade chicken stock with butter, sweet potatoes, sea salt, and tarragon leaves me really satisfied.

You could also consider adding oysters, brazil nuts, kelp, etc for micronutrients you may be missing.

Finally, if you have been low carb for a long time, it may be helpful to add in some more primal carbs. Fruit, sweet potatoes, squash, etc may help you feel more satisfied with your meals.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    If your diet is mostly muscle meat and veggies you may want to consider adding in the "rest" of the animal and some seafood. Liver, bone broths, bone marrow are all filled with nutrients at a density and variety much greater than muscle meat. Starting a meal with a nice rich homemade chicken stock with butter, sweet potatoes, sea salt, and tarragon leaves me really satisfied.

You could also consider adding oysters, brazil nuts, kelp, etc for micronutrients you may be missing.

Finally, if you have been low carb for a long time, it may be helpful to add in some more primal carbs. Fruit, sweet potatoes, squash, etc may help you feel more satisfied with your meals.
    Well, I have been thinking of changing to more of a seafood way of eating, considering that I am going to be spending a year in Japan starting this fall I was thinking it would be a good Idea. but thanks for your input, I will look into inplementing some changes next time I go shopping.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    A touch of carbs puts the lid on the meal for me.

If you don't like animal fat chunks (and my kids don't), are you getting olive oil / coconut oil / butter / using animal fats for cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    A touch of carbs puts the lid on the meal for me.

If you don't like animal fat chunks (and my kids don't), are you getting olive oil / coconut oil / butter / using animal fats for cooking?
    I just started using grass fed butter about two or three weeks ago, before that I was using regular butter.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post

Jammies is right on all counts. I know people are not cats, but my cats eat a raw-meat diet, and the absolutely worst thing that you can do to a raw cat is give it overwhelmingly plain muscle meat. Cats absolutely NEED the skin and its fat layer, the organs, the bone, the connective tissue - all of it - for health. I think there are parallels for people, too. So, even if you weren't feeling hungry, this would still be my recommendation to all on the Primal - eat more of the animal. Hell, even try pork rinds. I used to be able to polish off a HUGE bag of potato chips, but I CANNOT do that with a bag of pork rinds - I tried more than once!

I would also play around with the source animals. Not just beef, pork, chicken - add venison, bison, duck, goose, anything in the sea that is not poisonous. If you have the money, you might introduce yourself to new seafoods by going to a good restaurant, just so the first impressions of these foods are positive.

Throw a few nuts on top of your salads and stuff if you can hack that. I am considering processing my nuts the Weston Price way (soak, drain, dry to bone dry on gentle heat, then eat) - I have nut haters in the house and I have read that I-don't-like-nuts folks do tend to like nuts after they have been processed the Nourishing Traditions way. Worth a shot.

Don't skimp on fats. Olive oil vinaigrette is a staple in this house on literally everything except my dark chocolate.

And try a bit of carb with dinner. If you aren't in love with peeling hard squashes yourself, there are the frozen cubes now. Really handy for tossing a couple in the homemade bone broth - yummly way to introduce those.

This family loves sea vegetables. Write me back if you need ideas on these.

Perhaps this is an incorrect impression, but I sense that your diet is kinda stuck in a recipe and ingredient rut. This should shake it up some!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Jammies is right on all counts. I know people are not cats, but my cats eat a raw-meat diet, and the absolutely worst thing that you can do to a raw cat is give it overwhelmingly plain muscle meat. Cats absolutely NEED the skin and its fat layer, the organs, the bone, the connective tissue - all of it - for health. I think there are parallels for people, too. So, even if you weren't feeling hungry, this would still be my recommendation to all on the Primal - eat more of the animal. Hell, even try pork rinds. I used to be able to polish off a HUGE bag of potato chips, but I CANNOT do that with a bag of pork rinds - I tried more than once!

I would also play around with the source animals. Not just beef, pork, chicken - add venison, bison, duck, goose, anything in the sea that is not poisonous. If you have the money, you might introduce yourself to new seafoods by going to a good restaurant, just so the first impressions of these foods are positive.

Throw a few nuts on top of your salads and stuff if you can hack that. I am considering processing my nuts the Weston Price way (soak, drain, dry to bone dry on gentle heat, then eat) - I have nut haters in the house and I have read that I-don't-like-nuts folks do tend to like nuts after they have been processed the Nourishing Traditions way. Worth a shot.

Don't skimp on fats. Olive oil vinaigrette is a staple in this house on literally everything except my dark chocolate.

And try a bit of carb with dinner. If you aren't in love with peeling hard squashes yourself, there are the frozen cubes now. Really handy for tossing a couple in the homemade bone broth - yummly way to introduce those.

This family loves sea vegetables. Write me back if you need ideas on these.

Perhaps this is an incorrect impression, but I sense that your diet is kinda stuck in a recipe and ingredient rut. This should shake it up some!
    Hmm, well these are all good ideas, and I did feel that I needed to change things up a bit. I'm a college student getting ready to study abroad for a year so spending incredible amounts of money on extraordinary food that will only feed me for a few days it not really something that sounds great for me. I eat the way i do because it's cheaper and helps me to only spend so much a week on food. I would like some better ideas to change things up a bit, but I don't want to be spending 100$ a week in foods and seasoning if I could only be spending 50. I do like to cook, and I am pretty good at it, so if you have any kind of recipes that create great tasting food and use simple ingredients I'd be happy to read about them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12