Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Inksplat) page 2

Inksplat is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by DashFire View Post
    I just discovered a sledgehammer in the garage, that I didn't even realize we had, and thought about giving shovelglove a go. Some other stuff I want to try first, so probably not a near term thing for me, but definitely curious to hear how this goes for you as you progress.
    The cool thing about shovelglove is that, if you follow the 14 minutes thing, is that you can really fit it in with anything. Did mine this morning, but still plan sprint later. It also works your forearms like whoa. Nothing in the PB Fitness routine even comes close.

What else were you planning tot try out?
    SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
    Primal Journal

Week 1 in Review

The Weekly Rundown

STARTING WEIGHT: 324.6
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 315

STARTING WAIST: 52
    CURRENT WAIST: 51.5

So, overall, this has been a pretty good week. It feels crazy that its only been 7 days--feels like I've been doing this for months, ha. Overall the cravings seemed to go away pretty quickly; I mean, walking down the chip aisle still makes me miss them, but it isn't the near tear-inducing state of craving that it was the first couple days. I really think the Fast5 IF is to thank for that.

I had read somewhere that, whereas the Atkins Induction period lasts 2 weeks, another doctor (I can't remember the name) added that you would see the same benefits after a 48-hour fast. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if a week-long IF produced the same effects as well.

Overall though, I'm looking forward to this next week.

The Workouts

I'm pretty happy with what I've achieved this week. Did something almost every day--the only time I slacked was when it came to walking, and that's a lot easier to remedy than if I was avoiding the bodyweight exercises or the sprinting, I feel.

The shovelgloving is definitely fun, and its definitely a workout, and I think it'll fit in really nicely with the PB Fitness routine. Not going to failure, but rather just going through a bunch of different movements a little bit shy of it. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Also really eager to feel the improvements from sprints. I hate going up the stairs at a decent clip, and as a result, feeling a little short of breath.

The Foods

When it comes to foods, however, this week has been kind of a disappointment. Either due to soggy hamburger, or my arch nemesis, chicken drumsticks. There were a few small victories though, so, hey, I'll just focus on those.

My big thing, at the moment, is how big of a pain in the ass the Fast5 IF routine is. Its not the not eating, that's the problem, but rather the eating. It absolutely sucks having a 5 hour window, because after eating the first meal, I generally don't want to go through the hassle of cooking again. Or eating again, really, since most of the time I have leftovers for my lunch anyway.

Its so weird, that once you kind of get free of that grip food has on you, you just want to get rid of it all together, ha.

At the moment, I'm heavily considering going to one meal a day, just to see how that goes. That'll give me no "Oh god, I have to finish cooking this meal by X o'clock!" which has been driving me crazy, which will leave me a bit more free to delve into some yummy side dishes.

My only big concern is eating enough if I go that route. But then again, the idea of a nice 1lb steak every night sounds pretty goddamn tempting. If I could just manage to finish it, ha.

We'll see though. Might give it a shot today or tomorrow just to see how it goes.
    Primal Journal

Day 8

The Rundown

So, today was the beginning of my little experiment. I didn't eat anything today until dinner, which was a fabulous 1lb Sirloin steak. Yuuummy. Anyone who doesn't salt their steaks for a couple hours before they cook them is really really missing out.

Anyway, the not eating thing wasn't really too bad. About 2-ish I started to feel a little twinge of hunger, but I just ignored it and I was fine. I haven't had a single sign of carb-flu today--no headaches or anything. I actually found I kind of enjoyed feeling hungry. When you're 330 pounds, you don't get that feeling very often. Usually its in your head, demanding you eat terrible things. It is rarely, if ever, a physical sensation in your stomach.

Only weird part was, around 5:30, when II was in the middle of cooking dinner, I got a little bit of acid reflux. Nothing major, just a little discomfort that I didn't expect. Maybe something caused by the anticipation of food?

Still though, I made some (meh) mashed cauliflower, and reheated some cream spinach, and fried up the nice 1lb sirloin steak. It came out perfectly, and sitting down to eat it, I was, at least at first, totally in heaven. That wondrous feeling faded a little about 3/4s of the way through that beast, but I was going to be damned if I didn't finish it. I forced myself to eat the spinach as well, but happily abandoned the mash after only a couple bites.

I was stuffed. Dear god, I was stuffed.

Its crazy reading some people's posts about how they eat two pounds of meat in a sitting. HOW!? haha. I guess I'll get used to it, but whoo, my stomach was definitely feeling a bit of shellshock. Its weird though, its not the same as when you stuff yourself on a bunch of crap food. Like, yes, my stomach feels a liiitle uncomfortable, and I wanted to relax.. but there wasn't any of the usual whole-body misery that can accompany an outing to Cheesecake Factory or something.

Still, started to feel better about 2-hours later, and now, an hour after that, I feel mostly recovered. I can only assume I'll just get used to it, and my stomach will become a bit more elastic. Because I know I've definitely polished off more than a pound of food pretty easily before. I think the IFing probably put me at a little disadvantage--my stomach just didn't know what was coming.

Experiment isn't over til tomorrow though. The steak was only about 950 calories, and the spinach probably only a 150-200ish more. Will just have to see how I sleep tonight and how I feel tomorrow. Either way, I think I'm going to transition into just eating when I'm hungry, and not so much worrying about the IF window, as I'm pretty sure I'll manage it naturally. If I get hungry earlier in the day, I'll eat something small, and then, at dinner, depending on how much I ate during the day, i'll choose my dinner from there.

Aaaand wow, that was a long bit on one topic! lol.

Only other thing to really comment on is the shovelgloving it. After only a 10-minute session this morning, man, my sides felt it way more than doing the side planks as part of the PB Fitness routine.

The Workout

Shovelglove: 10 minutes
    Tabata Sprint (Stationary Bike): 1 Round
    2-Leg Chair-Assisted Pull ups: (5, 1 Reverse), (5, 1 Reverse)

The Food

Meal
    1lb Sirloin Steak, Cream Spinach, & Mashed Cauliflower
    Vitamin/Double FishOil.

Primal Journal

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey Inksplat!

Mmmmm mmmm mmmm that steak looks good! And creamed spinach is one of my faves!

I just poked my head in here to tell you that I put up that salmon pancake recipe. Thanks for stopping by my place! It is nice to meet you!

I don't have any doctor's qualifications on fasting, but I am a veteran of two 10-day lemonade fasts - you know, the Master Cleanse. And yes, after a couple of days, the food craving thing definitely did diminish for me, too.

Keep us informed - I'll be peeking in again!

The Rundown

So, today was interesting. Didn't really get physically hungry like I had yesterday, but had a minor headache for a good chunk of it. Weird to have the carb-flu symptoms show up like that. Usually they'd show up after I'd eaten, not before. But, wasn't too bad, and made it to my second steak.

Definitely wasn't as stuffed this time, but it still wasn't the most pleasurable experience towards the very end.

On the brighter of the day, I got my Shovelglove up to the full 14 minutes. So yay for that.

On the weird side, apparently my right bicep is bigger than my left. I had never noticed this before. What makes it extra strange is that I'm left-handed, so you'd think it'd be opposite.

And then, randomly, my wife says my eyes look different (in a good way). I had heard of people claiming their eyes changed colors, but I hadn't really expected anything. Not sure if I believe it, as I don't stare at my own eyes that often, but who am I to argue? :P

Also, I managed to go for a walk tonight after it cooled down outside a bit. Walked for a good thirty minutes. Got to say though, I didn't feel too amazing when I got home. My neck is a bit achey all of a sudden, and my carb-flu-like headache has returned.

But I shall endure. It can only get better.

The Workout

Shovelglove: 14 minutes
    2-Leg Chair-Assisted Pull ups: (5, 1 Reverse)
    Walk: 30 minutes, 1.66 miles.

The Food

Meal
    1lb Chuck Steak with bleu cheese, Cream Spinach
    Double Vitamin, Double FishOil, Coconut Oil.

Primal Journal

Day 10 (from the fuuUuuuUuture!)

The Rundown

So, I didn't post yesterday, because yesterday kind of sucked towards the end. It started off fine, as I noticed a shirt fitting a bit better, and I went the day without a headache or hunger. So, everything seemed to be going fine.

Then I got to my workout. At first, it was great. I can already feel the gains I'm making, which I honestly wasn't expecting. With a 3-second rest every 25 wall pushups, I hit 90 on my first set, and 50 on the second. Probably could have pushed it a bit higher on the second set, but decided not to. I think I'll definitely be upping myself to the next tier on that one.

Unfortunately, after that, things started to fall apart. I tried to shift to the 1-leg Assisted Pull Ups, only to find that the stool I was using doesn't really clip the laminate floor where I need to do them. So.. the stool decided it wanted to slip. Then, I just switched back to the 2-leg, but found my knee starting to hurt a little towards the end. I moved on to the squats, only to have both my knees start to hurt, at which point, after my planks and second round of push ups, I decided to call the workout early.

I figure it was a mixture of the walk I took, plus the shovelglove, in which I've been going a bit lower, and it does involve a bit of twisting at the knees. I just didn't want to push it.

But even that wasn't too bad, as it wasn't like I just decided not to do the workout. Dinner, however, was the real mess.

Multi-vitamins used to have the effect of making me a bit nauseous. These new ones I've been trying, haven't. They're split so you take 3 a day. Well, night before last, I had taken one near the beginning of my steak, and a second after it. And I was fine. Last night, however, I took both at the same time, a few bites in, and within about 2 more bites, I was feeling sick to my stomach.

So, no steak for me!

Ended up, about 4 hours later, downing a vanilla whey protein powder + water mixture, because it was a workout day and I didn't really want to go through the night nearly fasted. Wasn't tasty, and had some stuff in it I would have rather avoided, but, you do what you need to.

Today has started out better, and hopefully that keeps up.

The Workout

Shovelglove: 14 minutes

Wall Push Ups: 90/50
    2-Leg Chair-Assisted Pull ups: 30
    Pole-Assisted Squats: 20
    Forearm/Knee Plank: 45sec
    Forearm/Knee Side Plank: (Left) 45sec (Right) 45sec

The Food

Meal
    A few bites of sirloin with bleu cheese, vanilla whey protein shake.
    Double Vitamin, Double FishOil, Coconut Oil.

Primal Journal

Day 11

The Rundown

So, today was a bit better than yesterday. The highlight definitely was dinner, which I made the Primal Texas Chili. The chili from the Primal Blueprint Cookbook was a major disappointment, but this was just absolutely delicious. Will definitely be making it a regular in the rotation. Not bad for about $20 worth of ingredients. (well, $20 since I currently can't afford grass fed steak).

Unfortunately, my knees were still a little tender when I tried to do one of my daily pull ups, so I decided not to do anything today, to give them whatever time they needed to recover from whatever caused the pain. Definitely can't afford my knees to get jacked up for any long period, because nearly all of my exercises hit my knees.

One of the worst parts of being a fat guy.

But, if I'm only out of commission for a day or two, its not that big of a deal. Maybe a small hit to my weight loss this week, but since this is for the long haul, what does a few extra days matter?

Speaking of weight loss, due to my whacked out eating yesterday, I decided to weigh myself. Apparently I was suddenly at 309.8 or something. Crazi-ness. If that wasn't just some oddity of the extended fast, and that number holds (might weigh myself tomorrow just to see :P), then I might be on track to lose 30 pounds this month. Which would be craziness.

Still, if that doesn't happen, I'm not going to beat myself up or anything. Would be awesome, but I'm not going to blow my knees out or starve myself to make it happen.

Today definitely didn't fit into IF or anything like that. Had lunch around 12, and ate dinner around 8. Might shift back into 19/5 tomorrow, but we'll see when I'm hungry. Definitely didn't eat a "huge" dinner, so will just have to wait and see. I might monitor my weight for a couple days to see how the eating whenever compares to the IFing. Either way, I can't see myself eating more than two meals a day.

Other than that, just had a bit of a neck/head ache today. Think it was from how I watched The Dark Knight with my wife this afternoon. But, on the bright side, The Dark Knight Rises tomorrow! Woot.

The Workout

Nuthin.

The Food

Lunch
    Double Baconator from Wendy's, without the ketchup/mayo/bun.
    Vitamin/Fish Oil/Coconut Oil

Dinner
    Primal Texas Chili
    Vitamin/Fish Oil/Coconut Oil

Primal Journal

Week 2 in Review

So, this past week was really weird. At one point, the scale said I was down to 309. Then it was up to 311. Then 312. Then 313. Then 314. Then 312. Then 314.

I know that it isn't actual weight gain, but it was really frustrating. In the end, last night, at my SIL's birthday party, I just said screw it, because despite a 24-hour fast, my weight went up two pounds during the day. I ended up having two burgers and a slice of cake, because hell, at 315, it was pretty much like last week didn't exist anyway, right?

Was stupid, I know. Luckily I didn't feel sick or anything, and worst thing about this morning is just some gas.

Weigh-in this morning was 312.4. So, in total I'm down 12 pounds in two weeks. That should be great. But I've never lost so little on the second week, and the yo-yoing was just obnoxious, and its not like I lost any inches in my waist either.

All I can think is that the one meal a day thing seriously doesn't work for me. Guess I'll go back to my 5-hour eating window, since that at least seemed to produce some sort of results.
    Primal Journal

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member
    Hey Inksplat,

Just read through your journal. Keep up the good work! I had a hard time losing when I started playing around with different fasts. It drove me crazy! Right now I am back to the basic eating clean principle. Look forward to following your progress.

PS I'm In MD as well : )

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there - bodies are complicated, and progress is almost never perfectly linear.

If you wanna come on over to my place tonight, I'll chat with you until you feel better.

I did something weak last night, too - instead of my go-to dark chocolate, I ate an entire small Toblerone bar, of the milk chocolate kind. Was really nibbly, even though we had a really beefy dinner and all. Humph. Must've been sunspots - Fourth's speech therapist was complaining that all her kids last week were wiggy, and she blames it on solar flares...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast