Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Heavy" Stomach? page

TheUnrulyHound is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

OK, I started the primal way of eating three days ago. Meat and veggies are mostly what I am eating, no grains whatsoever (Went cold turkey and I am PROUD of it!!!)

The last two days after every meal my stomach feels heavy, like I swallowed a big rock... has anyone else experienced this? tonight it is worse.

just for example I ate tonight-1.5 fillets of tilapia, a salad with iceburg lettuce a couple of tablespoons of shredded cheese, a few pecans crumbled and balsamic vinegar. We also had a mix of boiled carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. (still firm textured but not crunchy, in other words I didn't boil them to mush) then had a few sections of orange. The food was seasoned with lemon pepper (salt free)

any ideas? it lasts a few hours and seems to get better if I drink a cup of water but soon returns afterwards. I have never had this problem/feeling before... and it is definitely my stomach and not intestinal tract. none of the foods I am eating and having trouble with are new to me.

Thanks for any insight

Holly and the Greyhounds-Cabby, Bully, Nelson, Stepper, Streamer and Fiona
    Adopt a greyhound! www.GALTx.com An ancient (Primal?) Breed

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

to me it sounds like a lot of food volume-wise, which would make my stomach feel heavy too...

and it also seems lacking in fats. did your fish have any fat on it? I mean did you cook it in oil or top it in butter or anything?

no EVOO on your salad with that balsamic? Why not?

No butter on your veggies? Why not? Boiled veggies are kind of sad by themselves...

You NEED fat... and fat will help fill you up too, so you won't have to eat as much VOLUME of food and your stomach won't be all bloaty and heavy.

Try more fat, less quantity of stuff. (will work out to similar calories if you're worried about that)

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

I had someone else tell me she thought it needed more fat too... that is the BIG thing I am having a hard time with.... it has been beaten into my brain for so looooong!!!!

the tilapia was baked with oil under it... no other fat was added. as far as the oil to the salad, I need to get a recipe from this site that would be good with some herbs and stuff added to the oil and vinegar... not too keen on the oily texture of oiled lettuce....

as for volume, this morning I had two scrambled eggs with a small amt of steak leftover from the night before, I added a few tablespoons of salsa and used three butter lettuce leaves to make a kindof "burrito" with.... that doesn't seem like too much does it? two eggs maybe a 1/5 cup of steak and a few tablespoons of salsa? this meal left me feeling the same way

I am so new to this please forgive if my questions are dumb.......

no, none of it sounds like too much food overall... but the balance seems "off" to me.

But you definitely need to get over your hesitance with fat... it will make everything so much better.

And if you don't like the texture of regular EVOO + vinegar, maybe try making a dressing that's an emulsion, like whisking together EVOO + vinegar + a bit of dijon mustard + herbs... it will be creamier and not the same texture, but will still have the fat in it.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

That little dressing sounds good I will have to experiment with some things like that.

The fat thing is hard to get over but I have a feeling it will be fun once it doesn't feel so evil....

it IS fun... and healthy. Just think - all those vitamins locked away in your veggies? You can't USE them unless you eat fat with them. Did you know that? So you're basically throwing away a lot of nutrition when you eat plain boiled veggies...

Fat is delicious for a reason. We're programmed to like it and crave it because we need it biologically.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

Eat more fat :P And welcome!!!

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

For a dressing, if you like a creamier dressing (like I do) try EVOO, vinegar, and a bit of yogurt (plain full fat Greek yogurt is best). You can add some herbs/spices/mustard or whatever to it, but the oil/vinegar/yogurt dressing makes a creamier dressing if you don't like the "just-oil" type.

Also, lately I have been using other things for "dressing" in place of traditional dressing. Guacamole is a great one. I make it as such:

Avacado

Cavender's Seasoning

bit of Lime juice

bit of Dijon mustard (I just decided to add it, gives it a kick)

I will also add a bit of sour cream. This is similar to a "Mexican salad" (in a Mexican restaurant often a salad will be guacamole, sour cream, lettuce & tomato).

I actually did this at Moe's the other day. I was on the other side of town and needed to grab lunch. I got chicken + pork, basic salad with fixings, bit of cheese, and "dressing" (salsa, guacamole, bit of sour cream).

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Beauty is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to add that some people have trouble digesting their foods when they've combined multiple protein sources as well as protein plus fruit. This would apply to the dinner you had more than to your breakfast. Keep it simple in the beginning, and then experiment. Everyone starts from a different state of health, so it really does require a lot of experimentation in the beginning.

Eating more fat will give you the calories you need plus enable you to reduce the bulk of your foods. It most importantly will keep you feeling satiated! Also, it tasted so good! Bacon fat is my favorite!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

/threadjack

Fury22: My favorite dressing of all time is to take whatever juices are leftover after cooking my meat, deglaze the pan with broth, and and salsa to the pan. Cook until most of the liquid has boiled off and whisk in bacon fat or coconut oil if the meat was lean and pour the whole warm mess over your salad.

"No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast