Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for the perfect sausage.. page

Artichoke is offline Senior Member

Looking for the perfect sausage..

Primal Fuel
    I was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations for the perfect sausage.

Is there a perfect proportion of meat to filler ? Is beef better than pork and what about lamb or turkey ?

The sausages I used to eat were Hoad's Korkers from Kent and really tasty but they have too much carby filler in for my stomach now I've also tried Duchy Originals organic pork sausages from Waitrose.. 84% pork but again my stomach growled like a lion while tackling them and left me feeling slightly queasy. Doesn't matter whether they are grilled or fried in EV olive oil, lard, ghee, butter, dripping, duck fat or goose fat.

I lurve eggs, bacon, sausages and mushrooms for breakfast. It's what Brits do best according to Napoleon.

For me, giving up sausages would be like giving up barbecuing to an American or Aussie. So I need some pointers here please.

Thank you.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    It's what Brits do best according to Napoleon.
    The man was right about that one. Over-medium eggs with a custordy yolk -- perfect every time in the UK. Nobody in the States can do it. And the little toast racks are adorable. Of course, toast is, well, toast.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Depends on what you are reacting to? You can get gluten free sausages that use potato flour, I think Black Farmer (I'm sure I've got them from Co-op before) do them here. Other than that you could make your own, you need something to hold the fat in otherwise they get dry, I've found that blended up mushroom and onion works, mixed with minced pork, and maybe a bit of lard if it's lean mince. I've never put them in skins, just rolled them up and stuck 'em under the grill. Cheese and leek works well too, but you need lots more cheese and leek than you'd think. Don't ask for a recipe, I'm a bung it and see cook
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

spinney is offline Junior Member
    I get mine from M&S. 93% pork, gluten free and the only starch is pea starch, I made my scotch eggs with them. They are about 1 carb each if you are interested. And 2 pks of 8 for 4.00 which is a bargain. I find they taste more 'sausage-y' than the Black Farmer but not sure about how organic they are. M&S do make an out door reared sausage which are 97% meat, not tried these yet.
    Hope that helps
    Last edited by spinney; 07-09-2012 at 03:10 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever considered making your own? My friends and I made the most amazing pork breakfast sausages - it wasn't that hard and wow were they fantastic! And 100% primal
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    At my local farmer's market there's a vendor that has the most wonderful sugar-free basil beef sausage or also sugar-free chorizo. Sometimes they don't even bother to wrap it up in the skin thing and instead just sell 1 lb packages of the ground sasauge meat. Freakin' delicious.

Edit: Should mention that the mixes for those two sausages are simply beef (basil beef) or pork (chorizo) and spices! No weat, no glutten, no corn, or any other filler!
    Last edited by Drumroll; 07-09-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I also buy sausage by the pound, loose, from a local store over here. I once asked them for the ingredients since my kiddos have food issues, and it was all pork and simple spice blend. I am sure that you could make your own. My Kitchen Aid mixer has a meat grinder attachment, so if you have one of these, you are almost there.

I was going to nominate my Oma's Kartoffelwurst, but unfortunately that is such a local specialty, it isn't available more than 6 kilometers outside her village... in Germany. Which, by the way, has some seriously good sausage.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Well, being American, the whole idea of non animal fillers in sausage always strikes me as an oddity (though I suppose since euro sausage existed before ameri sausage ours are the oddity). My buddy makes venison sausage out of meat and offal scraps and about an equal proportion of fat - some with intestine casing (the deer's when he can manage it or he buys lamb) or no casing at all and then whatever herbs he needs depending on the type of flavoring he is going for.

Probably my favorite sausages, however are plain pork sage sausage that Clyde makes down at Pink House Pigs - a local farm in Spotyslyvania, VA.

Honestly, there is no inherent need to add sugar or flour to sausage (unless you're trying to recreate a specific type of sausage that calls for them).

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    I was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations for the perfect sausage.
    ....that's what she said.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    We made some tasty blood sausage with beef blood, pork meat & fat, onions and not much else - Laws are like sausages…. Seven Trees Farm

We'll be making kielbasa and liver/offal wurst next.

Make your own! Science and food, what's not to like...
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast