Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for the perfect sausage.. page 2

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    I was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations for the perfect sausage.
    One of our local butchers does gluten free Lincolnshire sausages. I wonder if they use any carby filler?

As an aside, wife and I went to the Dales for our 40th in May. I had fried egg, bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms & tomatoes for breakfast every morning. Yummy! And I lost weight.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    Harrogate 98% pork sausages made from pork, seasoning and sausage skins. They come in a plastic tray half-covered in a black cardboard sleeve with red writing (which specifically says gluten free). Tesco and ASDA do them for around 2.50 for six.

These are so good and taste so meaty that they utterly annihilate all other sausages. They're also superb cold in salads.

They are your answer.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

BigSwifty is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by codered5 View Post
    ....that's what she said.
    I thought no one would ever say it.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Guys, if yours looks like a sausage that's sad..

Thank you for the recommendations, I don't have a Marks & Spencer in my town but will be visiting one tomorrow. Not seen the Harrogate sausages in my local ASDA. There is a new one in the place I'm visiting tomorrow so I'll investigate there.

I live in a town so getting hold of stuff to make my own sausages is a bit difficult. I imagine they taste awesome though.

I presume that sausages came about because people wanted to use up all the animal bits they had left over as well as stale bread..

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Do you have any good local farm butchers?
    Mine will make me up anything I want (as long as I let them know in advance)
    current ones are Beef & Bacon sausage..No rusk etc added. nom nom!
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Guys, if yours looks like a sausage that's sad..
    Better than looking like hamburger, I suppose...

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I got your perfect sausage right here. It's in my refrigerator, a nice chorizo sausage from the Mexican meat market that goes great with eggs and soups.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I live in a town so getting hold of stuff to make my own sausages is a bit difficult. I imagine they taste awesome though.
    Hey, Artichoke.

I was just thinking about your quote above, and got to thinking that you might not know what we Americans mean by a certain form of sausage. So, I thought I would explain:

"bulk sausage" is sausage without any kind of casing. It looks like a mound of hamburger meat/ground beef. The color is always some variety of deep red-to-light pink, depending on whether you make it out of ground chicken, turkey, pork, beef, or other animal flesh; and whether you have added spices like paprika that color foods.

Sometimes the texture in bulk sausage is a bit more chunky and sometimes a bit more sand-grain-like, depending on who ground the muscle/fat mixture, but it is never paste-smooth.

All you really need is a way to grind the fat and the muscle - that can be a suction-cup hand grinder, a Kitchen-Aid mixer, a huge dedicated grinder (yours of somebody else's)...

We use this to hand-form patties or little logs and pan-fry, mix into meatloaf mix (which I do), chop at it a lot in the saute pan so it makes crumbles (pour some beaten egg over it and make a sausage fritatta), stuff it into veggies, drop the crumbles into soup... endless.

In any town, if you can source meat, you have got yourself homemade bulk sausage. Most of us over here are just used to buying it from the meat counter or refrigerated meat section of our local stores.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Crabbcakes wow thank you so much, that's really helpful. I saw a counter-mountable steel mincer in a charity shop I will have a look to see if it's still there !

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    One tip, though it might be different with different equipment, is that sausage here tends to be double-ground, v hamburger, which is ground once.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast