Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else tired of hearing about the latest paleo frankenfoods? page 8

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Yeah, I guess, but I'd hate to see people being discouraged from sharing their ideas.

I'd hate to see people stop sharing that creativity just because some people just don't care or value it. It certainly is easy to enjoy the PB as a simple diet. But some people enjoy messing around in the kitchen and if making paleo bread is their thing, so be it.
    People can make their own decisions. No one should have to silence themselves for fear of offense. It's up to the rest of us to be big kids and deal with it on our own (when encountering an potentially offensive idea). It's not the OP's fault if people have a rough time adjusting to a PB lifestyle (hell, I did). Again, the OP did not say people should not bake things with primaleo ingredients, he just doesn't do it himself and thinks it's silly. You seem to be taking it personally.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I guess I just don't see the need to randomly voice that. It's like saying "I don't wear vibrams- they look goofy"? Why do people even care? Yeah, If I post, why can't I lose weight -" I eat coconut pancakes, then have almond muffins and a sandwich with paleo bread" - of course, then say something.

I do take it a little personally because I enjoy cooking and making up new creative things. No one likes to be told what they enjoy doing is silly, pointless or damaging to something they care about.

And I hate smugness.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bioletti View Post
    +1. IMHO, The age-old art of satire has been turned into a crime due to political correctness. As the OP stated, it's only about curiosity and amusement or stating the obvious and looking for deeper understanding from all the replies.

I always wonder how long Mark Twain and Oscar Wilde, if they were alive today, would last on many forums on the internet before a moderator kicked them out or put them on probation? I'm positive though that Winston Churchill's life span would be less than a half hour.
    The problem isn't that satire is being turned into a crime, it's that it's not satire. It's more on the level of shit flinging monkeys. Twain and Wilde wouldn't last on the average forum, not because they'd be kicked out but because they'd be disgusted at the level of discourse.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I think the point is that there is now a market for said Paleo-frankenfoods. I saw an ad on Facebook yesterday for Paleobread - an actual loaf of bread called Paleobread. For me, not touching it. For someone else? Sure go for it. Whatever floats your boat.

But, then again, I'm also one of those 100%ers as I'm fond of the whole30 and how it makes me feel and tend to also push 100% on people who are having trouble (IRL, not here).

I do think it's ridiculous that someone makes a comment or asks an opinion and it gets turned into an angry mob against the original poster. We're supposed to be a supportive community. This wouldn't hold up in a "real tribe"... those negative, mean spirited people would likely be left behind when the tribe migrated north for the summer...

Just like our moms used to tell us... if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    I guess I just don't see the need to randomly voice that. It's like saying "I don't wear vibrams- they look goofy"?
    Speaking as the OP in this particular instance. I don't consider this post random so much as *stand alone* - because instead of jumping in and derailing the paleobread thread with my question where I most certainly would have discouraged some people who might need something like that as a transitional product to fully get into paleo, I came over to the Odds & Ends board and asked my question in a neutral setting where no one was already automatically invested in that topic.

I almost regret using the paleobaking and cauliflower thing as a segue into the frankenbread product because that ended up being what half the posters latched onto.

For the record I do not care what other people eat. No reason I would. Doesn't affect my way of eating or weightloss or anything of the kind. I also specifically stated in my opening post that I am kind of an all or nothing sort and that that was one of the reasons things like this get under my skin (first post, first sentence, fourth paragraph). And I built the post around my own issues, not around the issues of people who eat differently than me. I was put off by the whole paleobread thing and put that out there to see how other people felt. For the most part no one had an opinion about paleobread itself. But apparently I wasn't alone in having issues with the trend in general.

And I'll state flat out, I was not out of place to make this post. I was not out of place keeping this content *out* of the paleobread post on the other board. If nothing else. Open Forum. I've been a member for over three years and a contributing member at that. I won't say I've never been a douchebag round these parts but I'm no class of troll either. And for this board in particular, this thread was hardly out of place.

I do take it a little personally because I enjoy cooking and making up new creative things. No one likes to be told what they enjoy doing is silly, pointless or damaging to something they care about.
    *shrUg*

I can't help you with that. For most people it's simply too much energy to care about the random opinions of strangers. Hell there are hordes of people (some of whom I actually care about) who swear I'm eating myself to an artery clogging cholesterol choked doom with a hefty side of obstructed bowels because I surely don't consume enough whole wheat to fiber everything through my colon.

But I don't have time to care about all that.

I care about what works.

Not what people *say* paleo should be, but what I've tried and seen actually work for me. I actually eat tons of fruit since discovering that it interferes with neither my fasting blood sugars nor my weight loss. I don't think white potatoes are the devil's turds, and I even have a scoop of chocolate ice cream about once a month (the good stuff) just because I want to, and I don't mind putting a family social situation ahead of my diet from time to time. So long as it is a choice rather than done out of habit it works for me. Other than that I eat lots of dripping critter flesh and a boatload of my favorite veggies.

I do what works for me and keep it as simple as possible because that also works for me. And despite what you think of this post I mostly do live and let live when it comes to what other people eat (unless they're telling me directly what *I* should be eating) because what *they* eat really doesn't matter. I don't jump into their recipe threads and get in their faces. If I feel the urge to discuss - like I did today - I generally end up here, either starting a thread or fitting into an applicable discussion already in progress.

In any case, sometimes a kvetch is just a kvetch.

I didn't come in here with the intent of f*cking with anybody.

And for the record. Vibrams rock. They do look goofy, but they rock and I wear mine daily - even to work (a rare blessing that I greatly appreciate).
    Last edited by brahnamin; 07-10-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: grammar correction - no content change

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    This wouldn't hold up in a "real tribe"... those negative, mean spirited people would likely be left behind when the tribe migrated north for the summer...
    +1
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    I love my goofy Vibrams. (Okay, Adipures. My feet are too wide for Vibrams! Legitimate bitching!!! I hate my wide feet!!!)

I am stunned that "Paleobread" exists for realz.

I responded earlier in this thread because as it picked up steam, it seemed to turn into paleo baking = FAIL ALL THE TIME. By that point, if I had noted the satire at the start, I had forgotten it. Maybe I need satirical posts to be in flashing neon or something...

(But I ain't touchin' liver. Just ain't.)

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    I responded earlier in this thread because as it picked up steam, it seemed to turn into paleo baking = FAIL ALL THE TIME. By that point, if I had noted the satire at the start, I had forgotten it. Maybe I need satirical posts to be in flashing neon or something...
    Dunno that I can lay claim to any actual intentional satire, but my gripe today was supposed to be about the paleobread. The rest was just thrown in to frame what I was talking about (certainly not to pass paleojudgement). But yeah, that's what everybody started running with.

Well, yeah. It's understandable that you might resist something that smacks so much of cannibalism. (That is you in your avatar, right? The angry liver with the big pointy teeth?)

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I like liver when I'm in the mood for it. A good pate or braunschweiger is lovely, but it's definitely a mood thing. I love sweet breads and have eaten assorted chicken guts (when I was a kid and my mother fried chicken she's fry up the guts too and we'd fight over them. The heart was the prize.) and would like to other offal. I just saw today that the farmer I've been buying meat from sells goat fries. Hmm, maybe.

calochortus is offline Junior Member
    I think you all just don't have kids. Kids need a LOT more carbs than us old farts and they love muffins and cookies and things like that. If I'm going to make my kids have 'weird' lunches when their friends all have Lunchables AND a candy bar then they can certainly have a honey-sweetened almond flour bar with coconut and chocolate. And I'll have one as a treat sometimes too.

Lighten up. It's not about getting an A+ on the Paleo Test.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast