Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else tired of hearing about the latest paleo frankenfoods? page 18

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Dark chocolate? healthy. Coconut flakes? healthy. Coconut oil? healthy.

Making homemade Mounds bars that are healthy and everyone (including the non-primals) love? Totally awesome!

I think there is a very obvious line between re-making a food healthier (ie the Mounds bar example above) to combining a mess of items and then calling it an everyday item (like vegan jerky). One is obviously a frankenfood, one isn't.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    If I put a condom on my head it doesn't make me a penis.
    No, for that you also need attitude! But I agree with Betorq - priceless image!

Quote Originally Posted by Evelyn389 View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't see that many recipes on the Nutrition forum so I have no idea what your big issue is. One silly topic about it once in a while isn't a big deal. Just don't read the stuff that's not interesting to you.
    KettleBlack! Is that You?

Yeah, read the rest of the thread and catch up, dear . . .

*wanders off wondering why NOBODY ever seems to see the hypocrisy of complaining about something they read that they didn't like by telling that poster he shouldn't complain and not to read what he doesn't like.
    Last edited by brahnamin; 07-16-2012 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evelyn389 View Post
    Just don't read the stuff that's not interesting to you.
    ETA-Plainly it did interest me. I started a whole new thread about it.

/RANT

jesssa is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I wish I could just eat food to fuel my body. I have noticed that most people with that mentality have AMAZING bodies. But I dunno, I enjoy cooking. It's fun. I like when things taste good.

I don't think that Primal is about making food just "nourishment"- I think enjoyment of food is a pretty big cornerstone of the plan. I think any WOE that strips the pleasure from food won't work. Well, my dad had that- a feeding tube. It caused him great depression over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I couldn't agree more! It's kind of like saying sex is for reproduction. Although on occasion I will eat something just because I need to (like a can of sardines) I could never look at food as just a nutritional necessity. It would depress the hell out of me.

I don't try and come up with paleo foods to take the place of SAD ( I never ate that way any way), instead I get excited about focusing on all the amazing things one can do with paleo foods as they are. I really do not find it limiting. It could be because I've never been that into sweets.
    I'm not sure my true feeling was properly conveyed in my message; I think we should be able to enjoy food still! I love food! But it has to be enjoyed and used in new ways, not trying to recreate meals that we no longer can eat. I like cooking (and I used to enjoy baking) but I think that if you become too preoccupied with what you can and cannot eat and what you can do to make certain off-limits foods "acceptable", then you're losing sight of what it means to eat/live primally.
    it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Just to point out the obvious, Mark endorses coconut flour and a lot of the other ingredients used in your so-called "franken" recipes on here. Today's blog post is a perfect example. It's pretty absurd to complain about what primal is when the actual spokesperson himself uses substitutes in moderation.

The only thing you can do is interpret primal for yourself and your family. Frankly, I don't give 2 scoops of coconut flour if you think I'm not eating primal because I do make desserts for my kids or make german pancakes with coconut flour.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Making homemade Mounds bars that are healthy and everyone (including the non-primals) love? Totally awesome!
    mmmm, you can't post this and not post the recipe. That is unawesome.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    The problem I see is that there are marketers and manufacturers producing these foods so that people will convert to Paleo/Primal, but it's THEIR definition of Paleo/Primal, not Robb Wolf's, Loren Cordain's or Mark Sisson's definition (not that they're the owners of such titles, but they are kind of the leaders of the movement). When you entice uneducated people to Paleo and Primal by offering them such things as Paleobread or paleo bars, you're giving them a false sense of what Primal and Paleo really are, and technically they're still eating highly processed particles of whole real foods. Defeats the purpose.

This is likely NOT the problem when you bake paleotized or primalized baked goods in your home as you are still selecting quality food products and creating the food yourself, which is one of the goals of the Primal/Paleo lifestyles - especially if you make your own almond meal.

But then you still pose the problem of overconsumption of almonds...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    The problem I see is that there are marketers and manufacturers producing these foods so that people will convert to Paleo/Primal, but it's THEIR definition of Paleo/Primal, not Robb Wolf's, Loren Cordain's or Mark Sisson's definition (not that they're the owners of such titles, but they are kind of the leaders of the movement). When you entice uneducated people to Paleo and Primal by offering them such things as Paleobread or paleo bars, you're giving them a false sense of what Primal and Paleo really are, and technically they're still eating highly processed particles of whole real foods. Defeats the purpose.

This is likely NOT the problem when you bake paleotized or primalized baked goods in your home as you are still selecting quality food products and creating the food yourself, which is one of the goals of the Primal/Paleo lifestyles - especially if you make your own almond meal.

But then you still pose the problem of overconsumption of almonds...
    Some people can/will overconsume nuts & never have a problem with it. It's highly unlikely that if the vast majority of one's diet & lifestyle is clean & healthy & that person has an almond habit, that it'll kill them or even hurt them (much). OK, phytates are bad, too many are worse than bad. But phytates are not THAT bad, in and of themselves, if the majority of everything is good or great in your life. It's all relative. This whole demonization of certain ok foods is counterproductive, for SOME PEOPLE. There certainly are some who need to cool it with all those yummy but addictive almonds (been myself hehe, got it under control now)

There were times in my past, for years & years, I sprouted & ate tons of almonds, made almond milk & I felt fine & nothing untoward befell me.

When I 1st segued into my raw desserts phase then later to primal, I did make my own sprouted almonds & ground it into a wet meal for desserts & quiches, at times a lot. It was a big part of reinforcing my ease & pleasure in transitioning away from grain flours & it helped me. And I wasn't really a newbie, & it still was helpful. Many many people need to wean off or sometimes if they miss something (tasty & healthy quiche, for me, desserts not so much anymore), it's beneficial to make it healthier but still have it in your life or the life of your family. Primal is many things to many people, we all find our way.

I like what someone else here says (paraphrased) that "there are no cheat foods, just diversions, bumps in the road". The idea is primal progress as a lifestyle & an attitude, not perfection. Hence the 80/20 for those long term primalees (primates?, primalettes?) who reached their initial goals & are maintaining.

I've tried perfection with diet: it ain't much fun & therefore it's not sustainable for me. Plus, I like to experiment on myself, always have....
    Last edited by Betorq; 07-17-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    mmmm, you can't post this and not post the recipe. That is unawesome.
    Mounds Candy Bars Recipe | Homemade and Vegan | Elana's Pantry Wish granted! (I don't put in the agave nectar and they taste awesome to me)
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast