Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else tired of hearing about the latest paleo frankenfoods? page 17

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Shop Now
    I don't think it has to be A or B. I think it is possible to both view food as fuel and respect/enjoy it for that fact.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    My site (should be) is in my signature. I should have it up this weekend, hopefully. Thinking about it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I couldn't agree more! It's kind of like saying sex is for reproduction. Although on occasion I will eat something just because I need to (like a can of sardines) I could never look at food as just a nutritional necessity. It would depress the hell out of me.

I don't try and come up with paleo foods to take the place of SAD ( I never ate that way any way), instead I get excited about focusing on all the amazing things one can do with paleo foods as they are. I really do not find it limiting. It could be because I've never been that into sweets.

For my husband it's not the case, he loves sweets, it's been hard for him to give them up. I could easily whip up yummy paleo treats for him but I am not going to as he is really trying to not eat anything sweet.

As for the word cheat I hate it and indulgence doesn't really work for me either. "Indulgence" sounds like something super good, which may apply to ice cream (depending on how good it is) but doesn't really work for rice. For now if we eat something like ice cream or rice we just call it non-paleo.
    I like the word "indulgence" because it is something planned and out in the open. "Cheating" implies something nasty and furtive.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Maybe because you can't fit a bottle of iodine in a multi.
    Hey, I *like* the Iodine thread... when Grizz isn't being an ass about YOU MUST TAKE THE REQUIRED SUPPLEMENT and THERE'S A SECRET SOCIETY IN MED SCHOOL THAT TELLS DOCTORS TO ACTIVELY RECOMMEND AGAINST IODINE!!!

While I think that the conspiracy theory is silly on the doctor level, I could see it being an issue high up in Big Pharma. Haven't we seen the same thing when Big Ag attacked William Davis for Wheat Belly? I don't want to discount it entirely.

My contribution to the thread is some n=1 trials on mole removal (yeah I know, TMI). It seems to be working, but in fits and starts. I don't think I'll ever go up to the megamilligram dosages, and I like the idea of kombu kelp more than tablets.

However, I am ALL in favor of experimenting with iodine to treat reproductive diseases like breast cancer or endometriosis or enlarged prostate, especially since there already are preliminary results. Look, if you have a serious disease anyway, why NOT try something new? Would you rather take a chance at curing a painful disease you already have, or avoid it because it might cause something later?

After all, isn't that what we're doing here right on MDA? Traditional medicine says we're all OD'ing on saturated fat. Sure, *we* think differently, but we're in a tiny minority. It only *seems* like there are a lot of us because we're all hanging out here all the time.

(and to be honest, I think you guys are secretly hoping, deep down, that the ball painting actually works).
    Last edited by oxide; 07-13-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    it's not that i don't deep down hope it works, it's just that i don't like the mental image of a man fondling and painting his balls
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Fun image: Maybe the lady volunteers?
    Funner image: Look up his age. It's in the thread somewhere.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Merry Death is offline Member
    So, eating an egg, some pumpkin with a little stevia, cinnamon and grassfed butter on it and a handful of coconut flakes separately is some how nutritionally superior than combining almost the exact same ingredients together and baking it because . . . . if it looks like bread, it loses its nutritional value?

If I shape my grassfed hamburger meat into a dogshit pile shape, that doesn't make it dogshit.

I find it difficult to care how people choose to prepare their primal-compliant ingredients. I get my superiority complex boost from other sources. (In my case, that's deadlifting obscene amounts of weights at the gym when all the other ladies are in zumba.)

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I was also wondering like the OP. I generally think things that are called what they're not are silly.

Vegetarian pepperoni - really?

Veggie, salmon, turkey, etc. burgers. I take burgers very seriously and they are beef (though I am guilty of calling ground bison formed into a patty a bison burger). All the rest are patties. I know because my mom made salmon patties every Friday night when I was growing up.

"tinis" - a martini is a gin drink. All others are merely drinks served in a traditional martini glass. If I put a condom on my head it doesn't make me a penis.

I don't miss the old foods (except bread on the burger) because the new foods/ancient foods are beautiful inside and out.

Disclaimer: I don't have any food allergies or immune system issues, so if I did want a nonprimal food, I'd probably just go ahead and eat it and get back to primal at my next meal.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    If I put a condom on my head it doesn't make me a penis.
    I agree. But the image is priceless. Ahaha...
    I don't have a sig here. Can I quote you, for my MDA sig?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Of course, Betorq!

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast