Thread: Expired Calcium page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Expired Calcium

Primal Fuel
    I have a bottle of calcium citrate that expired in July, last year. This may seem like a no-brainer, but would the calcium still be ok to take?

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Calcium, being a mineral, should be fine a year after its official expiration date. (From what I've read elsewhere, tablet-form supplements tend to hold up better than capsule-form supplements, although I can't recall if that was with respect to *potency* or only the supplement integrity (e.g. the capsules might dissolve or otherwise lose integrity over time)). But whether your calcium is in tablet or capsule form, I'm confident that it would still be fine to use at this point.

Expired Supplements: When to Toss and What is Safe

"A general, rule-of-thumb is that most expired supplements, vitamins, and minerals are safe, unless the nutrient is a sensitive one or in liquid form. Examples of sensitive nutrients are

•Vitamin E
    •Oils, and
    •Fats stored in pills, capsules or bottles.

"Some may lose potency over time, but most multi-vitamins will last years after the expiration date. Minerals will almost last forever if stored properly. But fats and liquid supplements are different because they can be oxidized and affected by light."

"The relatively few studies that have been done on the topic of drug shelf life conclude that there is little scientific evidence that expired drugs are toxic. And, depending on the medication, some remained effective anywhere from 1.5 years to 25 years past the discard date.

"One of the largest studies was conducted by the US military in 1985 because every two to three years they had to destroy and replace over $1 billion worth of unused drugs. They conducted a test that included more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter. The results showed that about 90% of them were safe and effective as far as 15 years past their original expiration date. According to one former FDA expiration-date compliance chief, the most notable exceptions are drugs such as

•insulin,
    •nitroglycerin, and
    •some liquid antibiotics

...these should not be taken past their expiration dates."

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthseekerKate View Post
    Calcium, being a mineral, should be fine a year after its official expiration date. (From what I've read elsewhere, tablet-form supplements tend to hold up better than capsule-form supplements, although I can't recall if that was with respect to *potency* or only the supplement integrity (e.g. the capsules might dissolve or otherwise lose integrity over time)). But whether your calcium is in tablet or capsule form, I'm confident that it would still be fine to use at this point.

Expired Supplements: When to Toss and What is Safe

"A general, rule-of-thumb is that most expired supplements, vitamins, and minerals are safe, unless the nutrient is a sensitive one or in liquid form. Examples of sensitive nutrients are

•Vitamin E
    •Oils, and
    •Fats stored in pills, capsules or bottles.

"Some may lose potency over time, but most multi-vitamins will last years after the expiration date. Minerals will almost last forever if stored properly. But fats and liquid supplements are different because they can be oxidized and affected by light."

"The relatively few studies that have been done on the topic of drug shelf life conclude that there is little scientific evidence that expired drugs are toxic. And, depending on the medication, some remained effective anywhere from 1.5 years to 25 years past the discard date.

"One of the largest studies was conducted by the US military in 1985 because every two to three years they had to destroy and replace over $1 billion worth of unused drugs. They conducted a test that included more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter. The results showed that about 90% of them were safe and effective as far as 15 years past their original expiration date. According to one former FDA expiration-date compliance chief, the most notable exceptions are drugs such as

•insulin,
    •nitroglycerin, and
    •some liquid antibiotics

...these should not be taken past their expiration dates."
    Thank you so much for the time and trouble you went to to give me such a complete answer. I feel confident that I can use the tablets up. I had just bought a replacement bottle of the same size and it was about $15. I felt at the price it was worth asking.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    no problem! Glad to help!