Thread: Is it good to be sore the next day, or not? page

camel is offline Senior Member

Is it good to be sore the next day, or not?

Primal Fuel
    So after a weight workout, is it a good sign that my muscles are sore the next day, and even the day after that? Or is it a sign of working too hard?
    Do I have to wait until the soreness is gone to workout again?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    that soreness is called DOMS, or delayed onset muscle soreness, and it's a good thing. when you work out, you stress the muscles to the point of tearing just a little bit. that soreness is them healing and getting stronger...which means you had a good workout.
    you can keep working out if your muscles are mildly sore, but if they are tender to the touch you are better off going with some active recovery, like a good walk, swim, etc. Eventually, as your muscles get stronger and adapt, that soreness will go away.
    keep up the good work.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Short answer - yes! Lactic acid activates the release of growth hormone that helps muscle growth. My "sadist" trainer says that you have to change the routine often enough to never really be free of DOMS. A bit too extreme for me

otzi Guest
    Some of you may remember seeing me brag about doing hundreds of pullups a day...well, thing is, I could do that and not be sore the next day. A few weeks ago, I started a super-slow pullup routine inspired by Body by Science. Now, just doing 15 or 20 pullups in 2-3 sets leaves me so sore there is no way I could do them the next couple days.

Gets me to thinking, exercising just to the point where you are not sore is probably good for conditioning and maintaining what you have, but the growth and real benefits come when you exercise those muscles to the point they need some recovery time.

I'm only exercising each group once a week, want to see how that works out after a while.

Heth is offline Member
    I was wondering this too. I did a couple of hours of garden work on the weekend, with lots of heavy lifting and LOTS of squatting and I'm still a bit sore, but it felt like a good sore...a rewarding sore like after a good massage!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post

Gets me to thinking, exercising just to the point where you are not sore is probably good for conditioning and maintaining what you have, but the growth and real benefits come when you exercise those muscles to the point they need some recovery time.
    that's dead on. even after you've stopped experiencing DOMS, good strength work still keeps those muscles you worked beat to hell. i saw big improvements when i switched from three strength days a week to two. that extra recovery time really helps. i switched to metcon workouts last week, and i was sore, but it was nothing compared to strength training.

LockeGilber is offline Junior Member
    I did a couple of hours of garden work on the weekend

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    This will seem a bit weird...but I LOVE that soreness the day after a good workout. I was disappointed when it didn't return after my second kettlebell workout.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I had mad DOMS until I started taking potassium and magnesium. Now I can work out every day and not notice.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    If the soreness seems more than usual make sure you are eating enough and also that you are taking in enough protein for recovery