Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I am considering going full-on Paleo page 3

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I still have butter and greek yoghurt but after quitting milk my post-nasal drip and acid reflux completely stopped within a few days!! I still have a bit of nasal stuffiness a few months into Primal but I think it is environmental allergies as I am strict most of the time.

Being stricter and consistently low-ish on the carbs has been a great kick-starter to weight loss for me, and apart from the occasional post-cheat bloated days which are a pain, I'm generally feeling a lot better - like I'm years younger!
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    What worried me about the milk was the description of the growth and other hormones and how they get into our bloodstream and are close enough to our own hormones that they both have a hormonal effect on us and also that they are just foreign enough that they can trigger auto-immune responses. I figure I live in a polluted enough world that I don't need any more endocrine disruptors if I can help it.
    You get absolutely nothing to lose by trying. I know you are worried about coffee, but just try it weaker and black, perhaps? It might be easier than you think to get used to black coffee. Also, have you ever tried coffee with lemon?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimallyJenna View Post
    I would definitely consider giving up dairy. I had chronic sinusitis all through high school until a friend randomly mentioned milk could be a cause. It's been 8 years now and any time I try to introduce something with milk I get a sinus flare-up.
    I had chronic sinusitis until I adopted a low histamine diet that virtually eliminated cow's dairy. I eat a load of goats' and sheeps' dairy now and can even tolerate the hard cheeses that are high in histamine, e.g. pecorino.

ETA: I had to tackle various other environmental factors though.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 07-09-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: ETA
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Has anyone here gotten stricter toward paleo and noticed any benefits?
    Well I kind of did it in reverse. I started out strict at first and did great. When I start to let things in like "safe" starches and "safe" dairy products, progress grinds to a halt and starts to backslide.

Don't get me wrong, I love dairy. When I found raw dairy I thought this was the perfect way to have clear sinuses and milk too but there is just too much lactose involved. I still use butter and ghee but I'm cutting out the cream and yogurt. I'm drinking cultured Coconut milk for the probiotics.

I feel a "back to basics" move coming on in my world too. Back to the things we know work. I'm reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek and finding it very informative. I really believe based on what I have read that there is a lot of mis-information and scare tactics out there saying that low carb is dangerous and "extreme".

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    What, no half gallon of OJ a day and some coca-colas to top it off Paleobird.
    The insanity level around here sometimes...

Chaco posted something about being against HFCS and Agave syrup in that thread.
    And I had to do a Wut???
    If fructose is so great... how could Agave be bad in the same breath?

Simple is good.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post

And I had to do a Wut???

Simple is good.
    Don't expect logic and you won't be disapointed.

I think we should have sodas and ice cream while soaking in our ice baths. Wouldn't that be fun? I really think we have found the next Jack Kruse in this Peat character. I wonder how long this one will take to run its course.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post

And I had to do a Wut???

Simple is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Don't expect logic and you won't be disapointed.

I think we should have sodas and ice cream while soaking in our ice baths. Wouldn't that be fun? I really think we have found the next Jack Kruse in this Peat character. I wonder how long this one will take to run its course.
    Cool, you guys found a new thread to waste everybody's time in.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Hmm lemon in coffee? No, I've never tried it. I could pack a little container of lemon zest for going out to coffee. I know it is nuts, but going out for coffee is a highlight for me, one of my favorite things. We go out on the weekends and sit on the patio in the sun reading the paper and watching all the people come and go. I look forward to getting a coffee every morning at work. Even though I make way better coffee at home. I really should quit all this.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Hmm lemon in coffee? No, I've never tried it. I could pack a little container of lemon zest for going out to coffee. I know it is nuts, but going out for coffee is a highlight for me, one of my favorite things. We go out on the weekends and sit on the patio in the sun reading the paper and watching all the people come and go. I look forward to getting a coffee every morning at work. Even though I make way better coffee at home. I really should quit all this.
    Is it the coffee or the caffeine? I love coffee, but I drink organic decaf that's roasted 20 minutes away fro my house. Caffeine, for me, results in insane bowel problems. Same with cow cheese. Goat cheese, no problems. Bell peppers, I love them, but they don't digest at all! My tummy if a freakin' prima donna piece of crap. The only time I feel decent is when I do a strict Whole 30, not a bit of sugar, alcohol, dairy, grains, legumes or beans. I don't overdo the fat either, as that makes me fatter and leads to more poo issues

Paleobird Guest
    Lemon peel is always served with espresso in Italy. It is a really good taste combo.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast