Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I am considering going full-on Paleo page 2

Primal Fuel
    Eliminating milk fixed my constant (and gross) post-nasal drip issues. I used to drink at least 2 glasses a day, in my pre-primal/paleo days. I still eat butter, heavy cream, and occasional kefir or yogurt, and feel great. Good luck!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I don't do beans. I would have a small amount if I were in a situation where it was impolite to refuse them, but I just can't see the point in eating something that is basically poison if not cooked properly.
    I eat rice occasionally, but don't make it a regular habit (it usually involves raw fish).

I didn't do dairy for about 10 years, but this past year tried raw from A2 cows and have zero issues with it. Evidently I'm one of those people who gets really sick from processed dairy instead of just the background symptoms. Husband was never outwardly bothered by processed dairy, but after the switch to raw he won't go back either. He says he really sees the difference, and he is not into "dietary" stuff at all.
    That said, we do not consume large amounts of dairy. We get raw unskimmed milk and sometimes cream, and I make raw yoghurt from it to consume... I cannot consume fermented vegetables due to the high salt content.

We also use very little additive salt in our home.
    This is one of the areas that peeves me a bit in Primal.
    There is a ton of scientific evidence that shows clearly that man did not evolve eating any appreciable quantity of additive salt, and yet people here say eat MORE salt all the time. All of the evidence I have read states that eating salt causes many of the problems that they are eating salt to 'fix'... and adding salt without adding potassium and other minerals gets things out of balance pretty quickly.
    I believe that "Paleo" supports this position.
    I specifically can't/shouldn't eat salt for a medical reason... but research has led me to believe that most people are really going over board.
    I think that everyone should back away from using it long enough for the taste buds to reset. Many things that I used to like are now so salty that they taste horrible... so salty that it actually burns the tongue. It's quite shocking to find out that the 'regular' amount of seasoning used is so overwhelming to the taste when you once thought it was normal. This is also true for my husband who has no medical reason to avoid salt.

As always people will tend to do what they 'like' IMO.
    Much like the current thread that promotes drinking cokes and adding white sugar to milk and eating gummies and whatever...
    I'm all for some fruit... but that is genuinely ridiculous.

GL.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-09-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I was never into salting my food or into salty snack food before I went primal. I actually had to start using salt in order to deal with dehydration and cramps. I have sort of fallen back into forgetting to use salt again. I'm not sure how much I agree with Cordain about the salt, though. After all, he recommends so much fish that wouldn't the access to the sea have guaranteed man of unlimited salt supplies? And then there is the consumption of blood for inland peoples. So I don't think we were without some kind of salt in our food. Anyway, it's not a huge issue for me either way.

I hardly consume much dairy at all, but I do consume a small amount every day. Giving that small amount up will be hard to do. Any suggestions for coffee when you aren't at home? Like something I could put in a pocket so I can go out for coffee and doctor it up nicely? I've been able to do black--I suppose I should force myself--but it just seems like such a hard thing to drink, black coffee with no substance to it. The only way I've been able to give my coffee substance is to add cocoa powder but then I need a blender.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Hi, I dropped dairy exactly by that reason (runny nose/sniffles) but after 40 days noticed absolutely no difference. After adding dairy back in it also caused no difference. But I don't drink milk, if that's makes any difference. Just fermented dairy.

Not eating any legumes had negative effect. Beans are really satiating for me. I guess I respond really well to lean proteins where my satiety is concerned.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-09-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Oh no, there is natural sodium in foods... and I think that a light sprinkle here and there isn't very harmful since our ancestors did consume more blood than we did, and more shell fish if they lived coastally.
    I just don't understand the posts I see about needing additive teaspoons... just not a natural thing to do.
    Minimal salt is definitely better.
    In a recent exercise at the gun range in these 100 degree temps my husband was one of about three people who didn't get sick... the other two are both on BP meds and don't eat much salt either.
    Less salt means less dehydration and better function.
    Husband came home laughing that it was the 3 old 'outa shape' guys who were fine... the young burger and wings eaters were falling out left and right and they had to make the test into a two day event.

I fully admit to being a coffee snob. I get fresh roasted premium espresso beans from a little company in Ybor City and only ever drink coffee at home, or in a place that has a proper espresso machine. And I don't mean Starbucks.
    I tried the coconut thing in coffee... and said NOOOOO!
    Since I do raw dairy I don't feel bad about it.
    In the winter when I'm doing hot coffee I do add cocoa powder... and yes, gotta have a blender.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    My experience is similar to Cori's. The dairy issue is very complex. I eat more diary now than I did before I went primal. My post-nasal drip is no more. I've had to make other changes too in order to cure my chronic rhinitis.

I just learnt to avoid the factors in dairy that were contributing to it, and also healed my gut and chronic inflammation. I can now enjoy forms of dairy once a week or so that used to be associated with major symptoms previously.

The major factors in dairy that I'm aware of are casein type, histamine, lactose, pasteurisation.

ETA: I eat about 800 calories a day from dairy.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 07-09-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: ETA
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

I hit a plateau and noticed that it occurred roughly around the time I started drinking milk again. I had gone from losing 2+ lbs/wk to up and down averaging out to nothing for about 10 days. I cut the dairy back out yesterday, and today I had dropped over 1lb. I've only being doing PB for about 5 wks so I'm still learning about my body, but that was the first time I'd plateaued for more than a couple of days at a time. Yes, I do weigh every day; while I'm making big changes in my diet it helps me keep track of what makes a difference and what doesn't. For example since I do weigh every day I found that popcorn does not affect my weight loss, but sugars and dairy seem to.

What is the big difference between Primal and paleo, anyway??
    ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
    Starting weight - 170 lbs
    9/4 body fat - 33%
    9/4 weight - 150 lbs

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Bear in mind that dairy promotes muscle gain and gains in bone density, which can explain a healthy slow-down or stall in weightloss.

So it's only a potential problem if it induces a sustained plateau with regard to fat loss specifically.

Blinking heck - I'm sure popcorn would make me bloat if I ate corn again.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

PrimallyJenna is offline Member
    I would definitely consider giving up dairy. I had chronic sinusitis all through high school until a friend randomly mentioned milk could be a cause. It's been 8 years now and any time I try to introduce something with milk I get a sinus flare-up.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think the big difference with primal and paleo is that paleo is ONLY meat, vegetables and fruit. No dairy, no beans/legumes, no grains not even rice and no white potatoes. Although in Cordain's latest book he does say in maybe one tiny sentence that tofu might be okay and in another that lentils are less offensive than other legumes, and in one more that rice is the least problematic of grains. But ideally, none, nada, zip. Paleo is also leaner than Primal and involves a lot more fish although Primal doesn't have any limits on fish itself.

What worried me about the milk was the description of the growth and other hormones and how they get into our bloodstream and are close enough to our own hormones that they both have a hormonal effect on us and also that they are just foreign enough that they can trigger auto-immune responses. I figure I live in a polluted enough world that I don't need any more endocrine disruptors if I can help it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast