Thread: Long Live Dietary Fat!!! page

Long Live Dietary Fat!!!

Primal Fuel
    Is this normal?

I have been logging my food intake recently, and I there seems to be a direct correlation between the amount of fat I eat and how I feel. The more fat I eat, the better I feel.

For example, over the past couple of days, I have felt fantastic after eating avacado, ribeye steak, Italian sausage and bacon (especially bacon!). However, I had some chicken breast for dinner one night, and although it had the skin on, it was still fairly lean. I didn't feel so great after eating this; got hungry within a couple of hours.

My one concern is weight gain. I have gained 5 pounds since starting to eat paleo/primal four weeks ago. I think that part of the problem might be that I was taking a weight loss supplement when I changed my diet. I didn't want to take the supplement anymore, so I have stopped it.

Any advice, feedback or input regarding dietary fats?

Thanks!
    Johanna

rhiarti is offline Member
    Yup, my energy levels and overall well being seem closely tied to fat intake too. For what it's worth, after diving in the coconut-oil-and-butter pool and doing backstroke for a few weeks, I found the initial "Must. Have. Fat!!!" situation calmed down. Just my poor malnourished body righting the balance, I guess!

In terms of weight gain, the far more important thing is how your body is feeling? Odds are all that lovely meat and good fats are finally giving it the nutrients it needs to build and maintain good muscle mass. If, on the other hand, you're feeling the waistband a little tighter, just have a look at your portion sizes and really make sure you're absolutely eating when hungry, not "because it's mealtime".

I've found there's a fair bit of tweaking needed in the first few weeks to figure out exactly what works for you. Mark's done some lovely articles lately on conducting your own experiments too, which are worth a search for!

Hope that helps? Big thing for me is viewing it as a long term process. I'll try something (one change at a time, or you won't know what's worked!) for a month, see how I look and feel by the end of it, then adjust accordingly.

Piskie is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhiarti View Post
    ....For what it's worth, after diving in the coconut-oil-and-butter pool and doing backstroke...
    LOL - love that

I'm only just venturing into the use of coconut oil (waiting on my order from Amazon), I have never used it - do you just use it as you would olive oil etc?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    LOL - love that

I'm only just venturing into the use of coconut oil (waiting on my order from Amazon), I have never used it - do you just use it as you would olive oil etc?
    It's solid at room temp, so no good as salad dressing, but great for frying up your eggs etc, and a spoonfull in your morning coffee if you dont mind the slick on top, tastes great to me.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I had a similar experience at first. Overdoing it on fat made me happy. After a few weeks, I didn't want it anymore. It was too much. Now, except for my steamed vegetables, I just use added fats for cooking like normal. I eat somewhat lean (don't go out of my way or anything) but once in a while I feel a need for fatty pork roast, ribeye or something, and then I'm okay to go back to leaner stuff again.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 215 x 3

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhiarti View Post
    after diving in the coconut-oil-and-butter pool and doing backstroke for a few weeks, I found the initial "Must. Have. Fat!!!" situation calmed down. Just my poor malnourished body righting the balance, I guess.
    Lovely way of putting this!

I did the same thing. I discovered the virtues of pastured butter vs margarine and couldn't stop snacking on it by the pat and chunk many times a day... now I don't need that anymore - the tastes have changed, and I am happy with it being in my food.

My mama always said that whatever you crave is a close indicator of what your body needs... so pay attention.

(Just for the record, sugar binges (for ex.) are an indicator of a problem as well, the solution is just not as obvious as Eat More Sugar)

rhiarti is offline Member
    Exactly as Omni says - great for cooking, but stick with olive oil etc for anything cold.

Nastiest coconut oil experience I ever had was carefully blending it into coffee I planned on drinking cold later. Cue a mouthful of little solidified lumps of coconut! Yup, didn't really think that one through properly...

Piskie is offline Junior Member
    eeewwww sounds awful rhiarti - and thanks for the warning!