Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: How is everyone surviving so well on SAD and CW? page 8

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    Ok so if inositol is in nuts and seeds (which most of us eat already) then @jimhensen why should we eat grains?
    No answer, no surprise, another failed attempt by jim to try and discredit Primal eating.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Unfortunately to many it is a religion. And challenging primal is akin to telling a Christian Jesus never existed.
    I disagree. To many it is the answer to a whole host of painful problems that have plagued them to the point of attempting something this far out of the usual dietary box, for which answer they are understandably grateful and enthusiastic.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I dunno about you guys but I'm done feeding the troll.
    Put him on your ignore list....!
    Last edited by breadsauce; 07-10-2012 at 01:08 AM.

MrsC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    But I think there's a pretty big distinction to be made when comparing the recommended CW healthy diet to what is generally considered the SAD/western diet. A diet of grains, lean protein, dairy, fruits and vegetables is a hell of a lot different than croissants, pies, burgers, fries and sodas.

You can't put these 2 in the same category.
    Absolutely.

We eat grains in our household, primarily pasta once or twice a week. But I cook from scratch and we eat very little sugar. Our diet, in fact, very much resembles the way Europeans eat (and we used to live in Italy) - fresh seasonal foods, regular meals eaten three times a day, no snacking. My husband and I are both in our late forties, and we're not overweight, we have no health problems, and we take no meds.

There is absolutely no way you can compare our diet to that of some of my relatives, who make mashed potatoes from a box, eat fast food several times a week, and whose idea of vegetables generally doesn't go much past broccoli as a side dish or iceberg lettuce with Ranch dressing.

Additionally, just because we aren't "full-on Primal" because we haven't given up grains doesn't mean we're refusing to "face the truth" about them. We did give them up for a few months, didn't experience any noticeable health benefits, and decided life was just more enjoyable with pasta and good bread.

If Primal makes you happy and healthy, and enables you to lose/control you weight, then go for it! But deciding to eat wheat-based foods doesn't automatically translate into eating processed crap.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Clearly you people aren't eating enough liver.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Additionally, just because we aren't "full-on Primal" because we haven't given up grains doesn't mean we're refusing to "face the truth" about them.
    I just wish that when physicians see people struggling to lose weight- while eating like you do, that they'd recommend eliminating grains more often. I spent YEARS eating a very healthy diet, and working out very hard, yet stayed obese. I'd be shocked to look back and see more than a handful of days that I ate more than 2000 calories. I worked out 6 days a week- hard- hour of cardio or more. Most days I ate 1400-1600 calories and I was neither losing weight nor gaining muscle. I mean, the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again- yet all we hear from MD's is a condescending "try harder" on the whole grain, low fat system.

I'm not convinced grains are bad for everyone, but for people for whom they are bad, they are VERY BAD. Yet the people "in charge" of our health keep telling us to eat more of them.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Clearly you people aren't eating enough liver.
    Why does everybody have to remind me that I should actually eat liver? It's way too gross so I just try to ignore the truth that it's good for me

Hm, maybe I should add it to my smoothies or something.
    Billie trips balls

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Why does everybody have to remind me that I should actually eat liver? It's way too gross so I just try to ignore the truth that it's good for me

Hm, maybe I should add it to my smoothies or something.
    The smoothie bit is definitely worth a try.....Unless you are more picky than my 3yr old son (doubtful), I don't think you will even notice it in there. Just throw a few ounces in raw.....(freeze for 14days first to kill pathogens then thaw).

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Liver. **shudder**

I tried liverwurst. I really did. Twice. I am not a fan.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, all I know is that when you like liver, there is no point to eating grains or even arguing about them. I am working my way through an entire pig liver this week. It's going to take me four breakfasts. Liver is what makes a creature live and to eat liver is to eat life itself. Ah liver, how I love thee.

People survive so well on the SAD because they don't know how good liver or other real food makes you feel. They live in a dream state, a half-life, a hazy half-healthy half-awake state. They feel good because the are drugged on the exorphins in grains. They look okay because some people are lucky that way. As they get older they get more forgetful, more docile, more tired, more achy. Everybody is this way. Like frogs in boiling water they think it's normal. They sit around and joke about the brain fog and the aches and pains in their old age.

Sure, an occasional meal with grains in it isn't going to kill you, but to make grains a dietary staple, the base of your whole way of eating, is not going to give you optimal life.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast