Thread: what is it about chili that always makes me overeat? page

innadoom is offline Member

what is it about chili that always makes me overeat?

Primal Fuel
    Ok so I've noticed every single time I make chili I'll overeat. Normally the foods that trigger this are anything starchy or sugary and chili isn't. Like tonight I made a pot using:

-1 lb 85% fat ground beef
    -1 med sized white onion
    -a few Tablespoons coconut oil
    -3 med/large tomatoes
    -2 jalapanos
    -salt/black pepper/chili powder/garlic powder/a few red pepper flakes/paprika/cayenne pepper

..and ate the whole pot.

If I'd made the foods separately for dinner I'd eat half the ground beef fried in some coconut oil, and a small salad w one tomato and some cucumber and maybe 1/4 of the onion if I was using it, be all good and would've saved the rest for tomorrow. (I eat more than 1x per day in case that sounds small)

I figure the pot had ~50 grams of carbs at the most, so what is it about chili? Any ideas? I'm not too worried because at least it's all good food instead of a huge carb and junk food binge that'll make me feel like crap, but I'm just curious about why chili always makes me want to overeat it.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Maybe an emotional/comfort food association?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    It looks like a perfect balance of sweet, salty, spicy, and meaty
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by innadoom View Post
    Ok so I've noticed every single time I make chili I'll overeat. Normally the foods that trigger this are anything starchy or sugary and chili isn't. Like tonight I made a pot using:

-1 lb 85% fat ground beef
    -1 med sized white onion
    -a few Tablespoons coconut oil
    -3 med/large tomatoes
    -2 jalapanos
    -salt/black pepper/chili powder/garlic powder/a few red pepper flakes/paprika/cayenne pepper

..and ate the whole pot.

If I'd made the foods separately for dinner I'd eat half the ground beef fried in some coconut oil, and a small salad w one tomato and some cucumber and maybe 1/4 of the onion if I was using it, be all good and would've saved the rest for tomorrow. (I eat more than 1x per day in case that sounds small)

I figure the pot had ~50 grams of carbs at the most, so what is it about chili? Any ideas? I'm not too worried because at least it's all good food instead of a huge carb and junk food binge that'll make me feel like crap, but I'm just curious about why chili always makes me want to overeat it.
    Coz it's fricking DELICIOUS!! And I think slurpable saucy foods activate our inner-caveman(woman). Do you lick your plate??

camel is offline Senior Member
    That's funny. I've noticed that I can eat a plate of meat and veggies and be satisfied. But if it's chopped up into a stir fry, I always go back for seconds or more. Weird.

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    nice recipe man. I think sweating carrot and celery would make it the perfect balance. As for chili, I haven't heard that before, maybe you keep shovelling to dampen the heat?

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Yep! Its awesome! That's why!

I make chili often. Its a great meal. I use grass fed ground beef and all organic veggies. I'll put it up against any chili too! Absolutely delicious!!

Oh and there are worse things you could binge on.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    chili is delicious and eating it makes you happy. plus, your recipe looks tasty. it's pretty close to mine, but missing a few ingredients (green peppers, cumin, oregano, and way more jalapeno). i'm not sure if there's anything in chili that would stimulate extra hunger, but it might be possible that it's not filling you up as well as a steak or something because it's more stew like, and you're not taking bites of more solid food. i suppose you could try eating slower, but that's hard when chili tastes like it does. you could also try making it with cubed meat or stew meat, so you're chewing more.

but, i don't think the amount that you're eating is all that much. if it's one of four or five meals, maybe that's a lot of calories. but, that sounds like about how much i'll eat in a meal on a really active or fasting day.

innadoom is offline Member
    Yeah, I'm thinkin maybe it's just an ultra-palatable food.

Primalrob, I usually add some sort of non-spicy pepper & a lot more jalapanos or other spicy peppers, but alas I didn't have anything but 2 dinky jalapanos! It still came out good though!

Betorq, no I don't lick the bowl (my face wouldn't fit) but I do scrape as much as possible w my spoon!