Thread: Exactly what do processed oils do to my body? page

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member

Exactly what do processed oils do to my body?

I've realised that for me its pretty hard to avoid processed oils. Although its obvious, they're everywhere. And lately it seems I don't have the luxury/time to cook at home for a week straight. In advance, I'm pretty sure there are 50+ posts explaining in detail the effects of processed oils in the body, but please bear with my laziness and post a few very honest, morbid and full-on biased descriptions of how would I be slowly killing myself if I keep eating food with it.

Thing is I don't have the palate to taste the rancid oils like some other people do so. Although I know I should avoid everything fried when we're out I know that even the stewed stuff must have a small amount of oil. Plus I started working and my father started doing the cooking, and ( dear God I'm sorry) but he just sucks. My brother is not primal at all, and he too just doesn't understand how someone can put so much oil into food. And its not even frying. I know I can cook my own meals, and sometimes I do, but you know sometimes I feel bad when he makes all these food for us that it's not even that heavy on grains and sugar (just the staple white rice) and we leave it out. So that leaves me with having to rinse chicken/steak/shrimp to eat some.

I guess I'm just asking for some inspiration? To keep my resolve and really limit that small, constant amounts that get into my body. And I know I decided what I eat or not, lol. I just want to know your thoughts lol.

Oh Plus, I really don't know it you can somehow reverse (?) the effects of the oils? Or are they completely permanent? I hope this made sense....

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Here's a good place to start:
    Polyunsaturated Fats: Are They Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Basically they get in everywhere and slowly do damage, they get into our cell membranes and affect proper function. Like everything the degree of damage done varies with individuals and as far as reversal goes, I've read that it can take 4 years for your body to remove them from all the nooks and crannies.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    In a nutshell, the two main concerns are that PUFA's (the polyunsaturated fats) are generally inflammatory, and also that they tend to oxidize relatively easily.

If you're asking why inflammation is bad, I don't have a good specific answer. All I can say is that inflammation is highly associated with almost every health problem people face, and that low markers of inflammation (usually CRP levels) associate highly with better health.

If you're asking why oxidized oils are bad, Omni's link in the post above kinda talks about that. Oxidized fatty acids have the properties of free radicals, which basically means they can damage other molecules in your body chemically.

Also, something worth knowing about fats is that they stay in your body for a long time because they literally become a part of you. Not as body fat (well, some), but as part of the membranes that line your cells. You're made up of 50-100 trillion cells, and every single one of them has a membrane made up of fatty acids. The fats you eat become a part of these structures, so eat the good stuff!

Oh lord... really? 4 years? Doesn't that seem kinda impossible to avoid them for 4 years??

I'll read the post and try my best to be really stern with any food I eat. Thank you very much. I kinda knew about clogged arteries and heart disease but I wanted to be scared off. lol Like to have somebody tell me: "This will kill you slooowwly" Or it may be that I'm frustrated that I feel that every meal that I've eaten the last couple of days has had some amount of bad oil.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Inflammation.. heart disease.. all that good stuff

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Yes. The effects of those processed oils linger longer so much more extensively than those of any other non-primal food.

Soooo ... they are one of the most important foods to eliminate IMO and limited experience of cutting out that crap.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enilegna/hearts View Post
    Oh lord... really? 4 years? Doesn't that seem kinda impossible to avoid them for 4 years??

I'll read the post and try my best to be really stern with any food I eat. Thank you very much. I kinda knew about clogged arteries and heart disease but I wanted to be scared off. lol Like to have somebody tell me: "This will kill you slooowwly" Or it may be that I'm frustrated that I feel that every meal that I've eaten the last couple of days has had some amount of bad oil.
    It's an equilibrium thing, if you cut your average PUFA intake in half, your body will gradually remove half of what is stored in cell structures over time and reach a new balance, if you cut them out entirely at home and just have the occassional intake in social circumstances, then you really don't need to worry too much.
    Excessive consumption of vegetable oils is just not something we could achieve by just eating the seeds or fruits they come from so our bodies were not well adapted to process those volumes, so the occassional minor intake won't do much harm, your body will cope fine.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    It's an equilibrium thing, if you cut your average PUFA intake in half, your body will gradually remove half of what is stored in cell structures over time and reach a new balance, if you cut them out entirely at home and just have the occassional intake in social circumstances, then you really don't need to worry too much.
    Excessive consumption of vegetable oils is just not something we could achieve by just eating the seeds or fruits they come from so our bodies were not well adapted to process those volumes, so the occassional minor intake won't do much harm, your body will cope fine.
    I didn't know that! Makes me feels much better. I have been eating out quite a lot these past several days, but not from fast foods and sit-down restaurants. When we don't have time or it's gotten too late to do some cooking we usually buy from the cafeterias at our local supermarkets. Mostly is rice, beans and some stewed or roasted meat, which I eat the meat at home and add lettuce or boiled root vegetables. So I guess the amount of oil they put into the food is not as much that it causes me pain, although I know it does have an effect on my body nonetheless.