Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pregnant wife wants carbs! Help! page 4

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ajrosen View Post
    What are people's favorite oils for french fries? I have some home-rendered tallow, but my wife doesn't like coconut oil. What are other favorites?
    Coconut oil for sweet potatoes, olive oil for white potatoes. Or ghee with anything if you have the time to make it out of Kerrygold.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    white rice! i LOVE buttered white rice. you can make risotto from arborio white rice- a little protein, fat, and carbs; a nice buttery, cheesy flavor. i think she'll like it. also, Chebe carries a line of mixes to make various gluten free breads (foccacia, cinnamon rolls, buns, flat breads). these are technically primal, as the ingredient is tapioca and they are the closest thing to wheat bread i've tasted. avoid nasty oils, there is a positive correlation between trans fat consumption during pregnancy and LOW birth weight.

also, bear with me here. *I* have noticed that my sugar cravings stop when i eat 5 cups greens per day for a few days. greens are rich in vitamin k1, folate, beta carotene, and other good stuff. i don't know if she can stomach it right now, but it's worth a try for her later when she's not dealing with nausea to eat a bunch of greens every day (chard, kale) to see if that helps with cravings later on. but for now, anything that's remotely nutritious should be encouraged if she can keep it down.

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    I am 7 weeks pregnant & excited to see this post! I have been craving french fries & pizza too. And salt. And cherries.

I was craving dairy last week & was on a home-made icecream/frozen yogurt kick, but now dairy totally discusts me!

I find that eating every couple hours keeps the nausea to a minimum. When my stomach is empty I really don't feel well (this feels so strange after being primal for a while... no IF for me, at least right now). I am trying not to eat too many startchy carbs as I had blood sugar issues before going primal... (most of my carbs are from fruits & dairy & some rice & occasionaly rice flour pancakes). Probably under 150 g per day.

I am allergic to egg whites which pretty much means I cannot eat any coconut flour recipes (most of them contain LOTS of eggs due to the properties of the coco flour). That banana bread recipe sounds good though! I guess I will stick with the occasional rice flour recipe using bananas as the egg subsitute... works great for pancakes which are also super quick to make.

ajrosen is offline Junior Member
    Went to the grocery and got her a white-rice bread and a tapioca loaf since I didn't know which she would like better. Made her some grilled cheese tonight (I need to find a better cheese than american, but at least it was the deli-deluxe version) and she liked it (the rice loaf). Also have some rice-crust pizza and rice-noodle frozen mac & cheese.

I have been staying away from the breads since they are still higher on the carbs than I typically have in a sitting (aside from fruit), and they don't have a lot of the nutrients compared to green veggies and meats. Plus I've tried to avoid "substitutions" for a lot of things, but I think these are just the things my wife needs right now. Thanks for reminding me about them!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will be trying some of the others soon.

Adam

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    FYI, some of the tapioca breads are disgusting. i think the nasty brand is Kinnikinnick or Ener-G. Udi's are decent (but not all tapioca). there is a brand that makes frozen french baguette-style breads that you just pop in the oven. it's delicious, but i can't think of the brand right now.

MadelynMc is offline Senior Member
    Berlin Natural Bakery brand makes a delicious spelt sourdough. Only spelt, water, and salt. Let her indulge... with lots of butter of course. Maybe a grilled cheese with grassfed cheddar? And salami? Mmmm.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    What are people's favorite oils for french fries? I have some home-rendered tallow, but my wife doesn't like coconut oil. What are other favorites?
    I would try butter, unless smell is off-putting to her or light olive oil. I pan-fry my fries or broil them under broiler, btw. or you an try latkes.

For sweet potatoes, I LOVE broiling mine with sesame oil, ginger juice and soy sauce. Now, notice the ginger juice... you might get points for morning sickness awareness!

P.S: I kindda envy your wife, you are being so sweet!

And, if all else fails, honestly, a good French bread is a good French bread, wheat or no wheat.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-11-2012 at 06:18 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

oksanapf is offline Junior Member
    I am now 10 weeks pregnant and have pretty bad nausea, barely can eat anything. What works for me are: 3 eggs daily, 2 tbs of collagen in my shake, no problems with fruits, sweet potatoes, soups, just bought a juicer to get more nutrients (I am concerned that I probably have not been getting enough), and asked my husband to buy some gluten free pasta for tonight. I cannot stomach anything else, anything with coconut does not seem to do well with me now.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    FYI, some of the tapioca breads are disgusting. i think the nasty brand is Kinnikinnick or Ener-G. Udi's are decent (but not all tapioca). there is a brand that makes frozen french baguette-style breads that you just pop in the oven. it's delicious, but i can't think of the brand right now.
    Agreed.

Gluten-free breads are often fortified with disgusting gums, preservatives, lecithin and vegetable oils to attempt to achieve a bread-like consistency instead of just being a giant brick. My advice is to make your own. You can use a blend of white rice flour/tapioca starch/sweet white sorghum flour to achieve a wheat-like taste. Ferment it on your counter for a day with some baker's yeast, mix in some baking powder/baking soda and bake in a 9"x5" loaf pan. It won't be like typical bread, but it'll make decent toast and be a lot healthier.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234