Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant wife wants carbs! Help! page 3

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ajrosen View Post
    @ChocoTaco - I agree, carbs are ok from a good source, and I guess I should have reworded my original question to involve more "breads". I pretty much did that because 1) every now and then won't hurt her and b) given what was in the house at the time, it was either that or she probably wouldn't have eaten. I'm going to make her those brownies this week (she's not really into sweets right now, but at least when she wants it she'll have a good option ready for her on the table).
    I would recommend you make her coconut flour banana bread. Some of this would work.

Coconut Flour "Primal" Banana Bread Recipe

Coconut flour makes EXCELLENT banana bread and you'd never know it wasn't wheat. You can also sub canned pumpkin or shredded zucchini for the bananas with excellent results. If you sub in zucchini, add some applesauce to make up for the moisture lost from the bananas/pumpkin. STAY AWAY FROM BREADS MADE WITH ALMOND MEAL OR OTHER NUT MEALS. You're essentially baking varnish in your oven when you heat nuts at high temperatures for a long time. Coconut flour is safe and tastes excellent IMO.

Any more ideas on bread-style foods I can get her? Why is sourdough ok?

Thanks again!

Adam
    Sourdough isn't "alright." It's better than Wonderbread because it's fermented, but most sourdough is just made using baker's yeast. If you want to make a safer sourdough bread, you're going to have to make it yourself and you'll have to:

1.) Use sprouted wheat flour.
    2.) Add 1 tablespoon of buckwheat flour to the dough. Buckwheat is rich in phytase, so you'll have to add it if you want to eliminate the phytic acid content.
    3.) Ferment it for at least 72 hours in an AIRTIGHT container 70-80 degrees with whey added or some type of lactic acid starter (you may be able to just add in some Greek yogurt or kefir) along with the baker's yeast.

And even then it's not perfect. If you use a white rice flour/tapioca starch/potato starch blend with a little sorghum flour added, you can imitate a wheat bread "taste" but due to the lack of gluten you will not get the nice rise. You'd have to make baking powder/baking soda bread, and if you're going to do that the coconut flour banana bread is a better option IMO since it comes out exactly like wheat bread.

This looks good, too:

http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/in...n-banana-bread
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-09-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Jorjor is offline Member
    I say eat them but stick to sweet potatoes and fresh fruit.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    What about gluten free pasta? I found one made from non-GMO corn that tastes pretty close to regular pasta for my kiddos and DH.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    When I was pregnant, all I wanted was fried potatoes, and I know a lot of ladies that had the same experience. So, see if she would like some sweet or white potatoes fried in good oil at home?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    What about gluten free pasta? I found one made from non-GMO corn that tastes pretty close to regular pasta for my kiddos and DH.
    I find brown rice pasta much more closely mirrors wheat pasta. Corn pasta's kinda gross IMO. Once I picked up some flax pasta from Whole Foods. Eww, nasty. I'd rather eat brown rice than corn, too. IMO, ALL pasta is to be avoided. Except, of course, delicious delicious spaghetti squash.

If you're desperate, Trader Joe's sells organic brown rice pasta for $1.99/lb in several different varieties. I've made them for SAD friends as a compromise. The penne works very well as a "baked ziti" substitute and I can't tell the difference versus wheat pasta. Eating it alone the difference is subtle. I didn't care for the straight pasta. It was a bit gummy.

IMO, stay away because these things can sneak up on you and before you know it you're eating it every week.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    I'm not pregnant at all (I don't think so), & I crave that coconut banana bread all the time...

ajrosen is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    When I was pregnant, all I wanted was fried potatoes, and I know a lot of ladies that had the same experience. So, see if she would like some sweet or white potatoes fried in good oil at home?
    What are people's favorite oils for french fries? I have some home-rendered tallow, but my wife doesn't like coconut oil. What are other favorites?

What are people's favorite oils for french fries? I have some home-rendered tallow, but my wife doesn't like coconut oil. What are other favorites?
    For french fries, the healthy choices for oils are limited in my opinion.

In a hurry I accidentally grabbed/bought refined organic coconut oil , 365 brand @ Whole Foods the other day. When I unpacked & was shelving the groceries I realized I got the wrong bottle. I looked online & learned that it's nearly tasteless, has a high burn temp & has many but not all of the benefits of unrefined coco oil. So therefore it's a great compromise for people who want the medium chain fats but don't like the flavor of coconut in their eggs etc. I can see that, as I recall when I 1st made eggs in EVCO, it was a process to get used to the flavor, but I adjusted. Some people cannot or will not adjust to that strong coco flavor, they will never come to like coconut oil's flavor & refined coco is a compromise imo.

I kept the bottle & will use it for cooking certain foods that need something neutral tasting, like fries.

I wonder, has anyone experimented w/ mixing beef tallow w/ coconut oil? I mix butter & coco oil in my morning coffee & in my food often.

SAdams is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Whenever I make fries for my kids I use home rendered lard, works great and the kids LOVE them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast