Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spouse support page 3

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm still stuck on the part where the OP said he felt obligated to eat desert with his spouse?! What? Nobody is obligated to eat anything for any reason!! Ever!!!

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    It's not hard.. It's hard if you think it's hard. My husband eats 'normally' but eats everything that I cook. Therefore, he is eating Primal at every meal. The difference is that he eats cereal for breakfast and I do not. He is not terribly supportive but doesn't interfere. He eats bread at meals and I don't. It's no big deal if you don't make 'everything about you.'. Just cook Paleo, and add some bread/dessert for him. We don't snack so that's no big deal. My husband likes pie so I but it for him, but don't eat it myself. Don't make this complicated....there's room in the plan for everyone.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    It's not hard.. It's hard if you think it's hard. My husband eats 'normally' but eats everything that I cook. Therefore, he is eating Primal at every meal. The difference is that he eats cereal for breakfast and I do not. He is not terribly supportive but doesn't interfere. He eats bread at meals and I don't. It's no big deal if you don't make 'everything about you.'. Just cook Paleo, and add some bread/dessert for him. We don't snack so that's no big deal. My husband likes pie so I but it for him, but don't eat it myself. Don't make this complicated....there's room in the plan for everyone.
    That's pretty much how we do it. I work an early shift, so I make the vast majority of dinners while he does the vast majority (okay, all) of the cleaning. He eats whatever I make, but still sticks to a sandwich for lunch. He has recently started eating eggs for breakfast because he said he stays full longer than when he eats cereal. Baby steps, I guess.

But either way, it's not like we're eating weird food or anything, and the side dishes are usually things like rice, pasta and rolls that cook up really fast. You can even get a bag full of individual frozen bicuits and just cook up a couple at a time for them.

The more they see how simple this is (and effective), the more likely they'll be to jump on the bandwagon. If it looks like a pain in the ass, it's never going to happen.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

ceesquared is offline Junior Member
    I appreciate all the responses. I'm going to keep trying to find the right balance. Today was a good day. I just need to plan out the week a little better I think.

Freckleface is offline Junior Member
    My husband isn't supportive at all. He thinks it is very unhealthy. His breakfast consisted of 3 slices of toast, honey smacks cereal with extra sugar on top and 2 peppermint patties. It is quite maddening to watch. Especially since he had a heart attack last year at the age of 45.

Reese is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What everyone's saying about it being pretty simple if you're the one who's cooking is true.
    For when she was the fettucini alfredo (someone used that as an example), I don't really think it's fair to say that you're the one whose eating habits have changed and therefore you need to feel guilty about asking her to make something separate for you. Sometimes people just aren't in the mood for the same type of food for dinner. Generally, people compromise. If she wants pasta and homemade meatballs, ask her to forgo the breadcrumbs in the meatballs and make sure the sauce is ok. If she wants fettucini alfredo ask her to eat it for lunch.

I also don't think it's fair to assume she'll cook all your meals for you. I know it's a traditional thing to do and I don't mind cooking for my boyfriend, and he hasn't noticed/complained that dinner hasn't included breads (he only complains when I refuse to buy something at the grocery store because I'll want it and won't be able to eat it), but not only will it be easier for you, it'll also be nice to her if you volunteer to do some of the cooking - you can be sure it'll meet your standards and you won't have to bug her to constantly comply. As someone mentioned, crock pot dishes that you can freeze are easy and have the added benefit of covering more than one meal.

I have a kind-of-mean trick for grocery shopping and assuring your dinners will comply without so much nagging. I don't know if this works for everyone, but this is how I shop, so it would at least work on me: start in the meat section. Get your pricy meat. Then go to veggies. While picking out your veggies, explain you want to make a stew this week, or something else that will last several meals. Be excited about dinner being set for a few days. By this point you've spent a good chunk of what you intended to spend on groceries. If she likes drinks, go there next. That'll lower the budget more. Do the things that are least compliant with your diet last - she'll be doing the math in her head and decide that you've spent enough money and gotten enough food, and that alfredo sauce is delicious but it's also kinda unhealthy so she'll figure she'll just skip it. Maybe she'll get sandwich bread but she'll skip the par-baked dinner roles and starchy sides (I assume you've already picked up sweet potatoes... she'll probably figure that covers your requisite side-starch).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123