Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ok to eat the same food daily, or lots of one food? page 3

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    In college, I had a professor teaching my 'Indians of North America' course who had studied Indians for decades, had lived with various groups for years...she told us this funny story about how the first time she was having a conversation with one group she had just joined, she kept referring to them as 'Native Americans' (wanting to be super respectful and politically correct) and after saying that term a few times, one of the leaders of the group looked at with a super confused look and said, 'What are Native Americans? You mean us, Indians?'

After that, she decided to go with 'Native American Indians' just to cover all bases.

I also hear my Polish grandmother, who speaks more Polish than English constantly refer to peeps from her home country as 'Polloks' (or however that's spelled).

And, several years ago, a colleague and I were talking, and she told me that she HATES it when people call her African-American, because she's from Jamaica, and she's no more African than anybody else (considering we all came from that area some time ago). She said she prefers to be called 'Black' because that's how she sees herself.

So, I think that being super uptight about the PC labeling stuff isn't always necessary, and it's pretty easy to tell when someone is using a term in a derogatory way, vs. innocently uses a term that might just be out of vogue.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marblelily View Post
    Although this is all true, I just want to point out that what the "Eskimo" people ate does not fully translate for modern times. The meat they ate was raw, and they ate all of the animal: liver, fat, intestines, everything. Meat is obviously important, but the reason these people lived healthy lives on a diet of only meat is because of how they ate it, and what animals they ate. Eating "meat", I think, is too general to say if these arctic groups are your example. Eating broiled chicken breasts and pork loins all day will not give you nearly the same nutrients as eating raw seal blubber and frozen whale liver, for example.

On another note, Eskimo is sort of an offensive term. Maybe stick to Inuit?
    Thanks for your input. I refered to them as Eskimo because Stanson does in the book. I will be sure to use Inuit now to be more respectful. And yes he does go into detail about them eating the whole animal. brains,eye, and all.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Back to the OP - remember that it is important to eat non-muscle meats - especially if you are limiting your diet to just a few things. So liver, bone marrow, and bone broth are important and will provide lots of nutrients you may miss otherwise. You may also want to consider the occasional brazil nut and some oysters for extra selenium and zinc.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Back to the OP - remember that it is important to eat non-muscle meats - especially if you are limiting your diet to just a few things. So liver, bone marrow, and bone broth are important and will provide lots of nutrients you may miss otherwise. You may also want to consider the occasional brazil nut and some oysters for extra selenium and zinc.
    I have been wanting to expand into the world of organ meats. How do you cook your liver, or do you eat it raw for full nutrients?

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marblelily View Post
    As someone who is of Inuit descent, I was just trying to be helpful and let people know in case they were unaware. I often find people are not trying to be offensive, but do not realize that there is a better term out there. Sorry to cause such a ruckus, I really didn't meant to ruffle feathers. And apparently I'm wrong anyway, so call us whatever you want.
    okay, YOU, I'll call an Inuit
    I suppose the TRULY correct thing to do is call people what they want to be called, huh?
    sorry if I ruffled any feathers with my response... I might have been up for 24 hours before I wrote it (which does not bode well for courtesy)

and back the OP's question... I think it's been essentially answered by various posts, but a variety of veggies (even if it's 2 or 3 staples) is better than broccoli every night for a complete nutritional profile. I like to do some prep on the weekend - cut/peel veggies so I can just grab 'n' run (to eat on their own, toss into omelets, etc.), I just roasted up a large batch of brussels sprouts (I like them cold or room temp for lunches, or tossed in the skillet at the end of my meat cooking to warm) - same could be done with lots of other veggies and it's pretty easy, not a lot of cooking skill needed.

I will say if you're making a BAS every day with several veggies in it, and then having broccoli for dinner every night, you're probably doing fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123