Thread: Unmentioned Primal Benefit: Less (Near-Zero) Tooth Decay page

goneprimal is offline Member

Primal Fuel

According to wikipedia,

"Tooth decay is an infectious disease, the key feature of which is an increase within dental plaque of bacteria such as Streptococcus mutans and Lactobacillus. These produce organic acids when carbohydrates, especially sugar, are eaten."

So low/no carb = low/no tooth decay. At least according to conventional wisdom.

Our western dental techniques have been honed over the last 150+ years, with dentists pulling teeth and capping them with the latest greatest compounds they have at their disposal. I, however, question an industry that is dependent on our ill-being, that is, the dental industry THRIVES on tooth decay.

"If brushing, flossing, massive fluoridation campaigns, and dental surgery were effective in preventing tooth decay, it would not get worse over time. It would stay the same, or get better. This is what I refer to as an unscientifically sound practice. If we are to examine the effects of our dental care as a society, the statistics clearly show it is a failure, as tooth decay becomes worse and worse over time." Source: http://www.naturalnews.com/022564.html

In addition, according to the same source, "We have tooth decay today because our food supply is so poor that many foods are lacking in the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K."

I would like to add that to absorb these fat soluble vitamins, we should probably eat some fat along with our veggies/lean meat vitamin sources.

I did a quick search on MDA and couldn't find this benefit addressed. I'm sure the readership would be enthused to hear about it, as well as some science based proofs. Weston A. Price was sure on the right track.

To re-mineralize our enamel, the minerals should be exposed to the teeth directly, as swallowing calcium does not actually help rebuild our teeth. However, a tooth's direct exposure to minerals, such as calcium or fluoride. allows the enamel to absorb them.

Primally, this is likely an evolutionary advantage to cavemen, whos teeth were sorely taxed by daily life, yet likely knawed on a lot of bones/marrow.

Ideas? I'm listening for your take, Mark, I'm neither scientist, nor dentist, nor nutrition expert by any means.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    The Inuit people basically ate a diet of meat (seal, bear, fish, whale, birds) devoid of carbs but still experienced tooth decay. Chewing leather to soften it wore the teeth down.

OnTheRun is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goneprimal View Post

To re-mineralize our enamel, the minerals should be exposed to the teeth directly, as swallowing calcium does not actually help rebuild our teeth. However, a tooth's direct exposure to minerals, such as calcium or fluoride. allows the enamel to absorb them.

Ideas? I'm listening for your take, Mark, I'm neither scientist, nor dentist, nor nutrition expert by any means.

I'd love to hear from Mark on this as well.

I have quite severe enamel erosion on my front teeth (oh what could the culprits have been? ) and have been looking for a way to remineralise them... but am coming up short on ideas. I don't drink milk (nor would I rinse with it lol).

Could do as Grok & gnaw on some bones, but that's not really my cup of tea.

shadowfoot is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acteon View Post
    The Inuit people basically ate a diet of meat (seal, bear, fish, whale, birds) devoid of carbs but still experienced tooth decay. Chewing leather to soften it wore the teeth down.
    When Weston A. Price observed the Inuit people, he found that many of their teeth were worn from chewing on leather had made. That is not the same thing as decay. He found that their enamal was perfectly normal and that they had almost no cavities. The fact that their teeth became smaller over time does not mean that they decayed.

Another example is the african tribes who sharpen their teeth to a point and have no decay.

Larrah is offline Junior Member
    Yes! My husband is a dentist, and he is pained anytime I give the kids sugar/carbs like crackers because he knows what they do to their teeth. He tries very hard to educate his patients that oral hygiene routines are not enough to prevent decay, but dietary habits must be modified as well. Additionally, many people are on medications that cause "dry mouth" which also leads to decay or medicines like the one my son is on to try to prevent asthma where the mouth must be rinsed immediately after the treatment. The last thing we do at night is to feed our kids a slice of apple right before brushing, because food gets missed in the brushing process (even when adults help kids brush), but the apple seems to knock the food loose. I don't know if you want to blame the dental industry; that's the organization funding the research and education on oral health, as well as taking care of people who can't or won't comply with tooth decay prevention rules. Dentists can also be the first line of defense in identifying oral cancers, which can be very disfiguring when they spread. On that note, the use of tabacco, alcohol, and even alcohol-based oral rinses are culprits in these diseases.

Just want to add that we are new to primal living, but hope the popularity of this way of life increases and therefore people's oral health increases, especially for children who obviously have to rely on their parents for their health circumstances. We'd love to just be in the business of putting your teeth back if when you knock them out having fun!
    Last edited by Larrah; 07-20-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: To add a paragraph

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goneprimal View Post
    There are many mda forum threads addressing dental health and primal.

The search features are just difficult.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order