Thread: Losing weight really fast. Is it too fast? page

DashFire is offline Senior Member

Question Losing weight really fast. Is it too fast?

Shop Now
    I started primal on June 1 at 340 lb and have lost 28.5 lb since. That's 0.75 per day, or 5.25 per week. More than twice the 2 lb/week recommended. Though it's really just been in the last week, after more than 20 lb, that I started noticing any physical changes. My face and stomach don't seem quite as round, though no one else has mentioned noticing.

If I was starting at a lower weight, not exercising or doing any kind of calorie restriction, then I'd definitely be worried. But I started with over 100lb to lose, have been very active the last month and eat whatever I want that's primal (see my journal). The last week has been off food-wise due to a hectic schedule (way too much fruit and probably not enough calories), but normally food intake is well-balanced and I'm well satiated. Thankfully things are back to normal starting today.

So I'm curious to get helpful feedback on if it seems like I'm losing way too fast, or if it's still early enough in my weight loss, that I should just let whatever happens happen. I'm inclined to not worry terribly unless this continues past the 50lb mark, when there is also the added concern regarding developing loose skin.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about it. The more weight you have to lose, the more quickly you'll drop weight (mainly water) in the beginning. As long as you feel good, have energy, and are getting enough sleep, you are probably eating enough. Enjoy the big losses while they're happening, it'll slow down eventually.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. The more weight you have to lose, the more quickly you'll drop weight (mainly water) in the beginning. As long as you feel good, have energy, and are getting enough sleep, you are probably eating enough. Enjoy the big losses while they're happening, it'll slow down eventually.
    What tradawg said. What you are going through is normal. And awesome! Skin does take a little longer than the rest of you to change size but it will catch up. Don't worry about that. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    You are doing so awesome! You should be very very proud of yourself!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    you're doing great! guys, especially, with lots to lose can drop weight pretty dramatically at first, once all the junk food is stopped.

if you feel good, just keep up the great work. the weight loss will eventually slow down too.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Good Job! I also started June 6 at 284lbs and have lost 25lbs since then. I'm not worried about losing to fast because I just feel so much better. I think our bodies want to be healthy and as soon as we remove the negative pressures from the wrong food they rebound quickly. As the posters above say, it will probably slow. But I'll enjoy it while it happens.

Tercio

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the feedback. that is what I was thinking.

Ironically, the last four days since posting this thread I haven't lost any weight. But, my activity has dropped off a bit and my eating has returned to normal, so I'm not too worried. Perhaps it's time to start looking at ratios.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DashFire View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. that is what I was thinking.

Ironically, the last four days since posting this thread I haven't lost any weight. But, my activity has dropped off a bit and my eating has returned to normal, so I'm not too worried. Perhaps it's time to start looking at ratios.
    Do yourself a huge favor and don't, not yet. Just keep eating healthy food to appetite and move around as much as feels good to you. Four days of no loss is NOT NOT NOT a stall. It's completely normal, and weight loss will probably resume shortly. Give it a couple of weeks at least before you go tinkering around too much. You will just add stress and difficulty right now if you start trying to rigidly control macronutrients. Personally I think the focus on macros is one of the biggest weaknesses if the PB--it makes people obsessive.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

NZpilot1 is offline Junior Member
    I have just started on this path myself, origanally I read the book Wheat Bally, by Dr Davis,I was seraching around and found this web site and liked what I was reading regarding the diet . Anyway I also have lost a lot of weight since I stopped eating Breads and Junk food. Since the 18th of May I have also lost a lot of weight very fast and worries me a little, starting at 218 LBS and current weight is 192 LBS. Lost 25LBS in just over 2 months. I also feel good so hopefully can continue down this healthy path.
    Last edited by NZpilot1; 07-22-2012 at 05:01 PM.

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    That's great! What are you doing? Do you do dairy, sprints etc?