Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For the people that are ripped how did you get there?

Hybrid View

For the people that are ripped how did you get there?

My main goal is aesthetics. I have switched to eating Paleo/Primal for about two weeks now. I just want to learn from people that are really ripped/shredded how they got there and what their workout routine was. Also how long did it take you to get there. A year or two years?

I have access to a Gold's Gym by my house and a Crossfit Gym 10 minutes away. But sadly no funds for any gym. I do have a pull up/dip station station at home. So just looking into doing bodyweight exercises.

Hopefully this post can help other people as well.

The most ripped I ever got was 2 times in my life : when I was heavily into hatha yoga, rock climbing & mtn biking while in college. 2nd time was I was my mid 30s: I got very lean & ripped doing 90-120 min of Ashtanga yoga 6 days a week, 6am-ish start, fasting til late morning or noon, eating 2 meals a day with loads of eggs & seafood, veggies & little fruit, loads of water & green tea. Dinner before dark, no snacks most days, or if I was craving a snack, maybe a Thai coconut or maybe some nuts, 8-9 hrs of sleep. Walked, hiked & rode my bike a lot. basically a primal lifestyle. Now I do some modified yoga, planks, pushups, pullups, floor exercises, mini-trampolining & swimming, lift free weights 3x/wk. Plus I walk daily & bike on the weekends, also icing my belly til its red in the evenings, my belly is the only place I collect a bit of fat now that I'm in my 40s. Also taking cold showers since its so damn hot lately.

aesthetics are for bitches and women.

if you're a man, your concern should be strength, the aesthetics come with this.

but if you want that six pack and you want to prance around trying to hook up with other guys, then go for it, there is nothing wrong with this, i am just trying to give you a heads up.

i am ripped: under my fat there is a monster 6 pack, and i did this by squats and deadlifts, and the other big lifts, and you throw some pull-ups in there and you will get the underwear models.

i hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post

if you're a man, your concern should be strength, the aesthetics come with this.

but if you want that six pack and you want to prance around trying to hook up with other guys, then go for it, there is nothing wrong with this, i am just trying to give you a heads up.

i am ripped: under my fat there is a monster 6 pack, and i did this by squats and deadlifts, and the other big lifts, and you throw some pull-ups in there and you will get the underwear models.

i hope this helps.
    Well said!

Personally, still working on being satisfied with my "rip-ness". Big lifts and tweaking the diet.

i am ripped: under my fat there is a monster 6 pack
    Yep, same here!

'Ripped' means low body fat. Having visible abs is 90% to do with your diet, and only 10% to do with whatever exercise you enjoy doing regularly.

Also, aesthetics and strength are goals both genders can and should aim for.
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 07-09-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

wiltondeportes Guest

i hope this helps.
    Damn straight.

If you want to get 'ripped', just start getting into the habit of working out. Pushups, pullups, squats, and running is a good start. Then, just branch off into whatever avenue attracts you. You'll find good athletes in various areas of action....from hardcore bodyweight guys who just do the aforementioned type of workouts, to free weights, to Crossfit, to mountain bikers, to basketball players. The key is to do it frequently, and you will get into shape. Guarranteed.

Agreed.
    Aside from you and your wife/girlfriend, nobody really cares about what you look like anyway.
    Last edited by counterpuncher; 08-06-2012 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    Agreed.
    Aside from you and your wife/girlfriend, nobody really cares about what you look like anyway.
    Yeah good point. Okay what do you recommend I should do then with no regards to aesthetics and a strength emphasized program? For the equipment I currently own:

Pull up/dip station
    50 pound adjustable dumbbells

That's pretty much it. No funds for a gym. So I just want to workout from home.

Eat lots of meat and lift really heavy weights 3 times a week, give it 6 months and you will be completely ripped...if I'm wrong I'll apologise

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    Eat lots of meat and lift really heavy weights 3 times a week, give it 6 months and you will be completely ripped...if I'm wrong I'll apologise
    Sadly I don't have any weights at home. No room for it either. I do have a Gold's Gym by my house and a Crossfit Gym at home. Just been searching online for a good bodyweight only workout.