Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Real Food Summit page

  1. #1
    pdjesson's Avatar
    pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Burton, Staffs., UK
    Posts
    130

    Real Food Summit

    Shop Now
    I've not seen this posted, elsewhere. So, here it is; the Underground Wellness 'The Real Food Summit.' Free access to content fir the duration of the summit.
    All the best!

    PDJ

    The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

    Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

  2. #2
    pdjesson's Avatar
    pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Burton, Staffs., UK
    Posts
    130
    Perhaps, this can be made into a 'sticky' for the duration of the Summit or keep the thread current. The Summit has reached day 3 and had been both interesting and beneficial. The each day's presentations are posted at 00:00 Pacific, and are available free for 24 hours thereafter and the removed to make way for the next content. Due to a technical glitch the first 3 days content is still available. For how long? I don't know, but I would hazard to guess, no more than a few hours.
    All the best!

    PDJ

    The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

    Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

  3. #3
    Metric's Avatar
    Metric is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    813
    Link isn't working for me. Is this the same thing? Real Food Summit
    Starting Weight: 208 lbs
    Current Weight: 166.8 lbs

  4. #4
    pdjesson's Avatar
    pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Burton, Staffs., UK
    Posts
    130
    Yes, Metric, thanks; that's the one. It seems that 'embedding' the links in the text causes the links to get 'lost.'

    I checked the main UG site and the previous content will stay up 'til noon, Pacific time. Also, each day on the UG blogtalk radio show Sean interviews previous speakers. Tonight he's got Chris Kresser importance of (fish and seafood), Jeffrey Smith (GMOs) and Sarah Pope (bone broth). Link to tonight's radio show, on the right of > Underground Wellness - Holistic Health and Nutrition Information - Protandim Review
    All the best!

    PDJ

    The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

    Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

  5. #5
    GeorgiaPeach's Avatar
    GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    275
    I've been enjoying it as well! I'm glad it's broken up over several days. Otherwise, I might not have seen the light of day for a bit from listening to them all at once.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

  6. #6
    June68's Avatar
    June68 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    509
    I've been recording them (losing the slide show part) for listening as podcasts. Some are better than others, but the variety seems good.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)


    PB Journal

  7. #7
    pdjesson's Avatar
    pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Burton, Staffs., UK
    Posts
    130
    Today's summit presenters are; Dr. Cate Shanahan - Medical Doctor and Author of Deep Nutrition (Healthy or Hype? 5 Simple Tests,) John Wood - Farmer/US Wellness Meats (When animals eat right, you can, too,) Gray Graham - Author, Pottinger's Prophecy (Pottinger's Prophecy: the Powerful Impact of Food on Epigenetics.) And tonight's guest on the UG Wellness radio phone-in Q&A are Mark McAfee (Raw Milk) and Yuri Elkaim (Superfoods.)
    All the best!

    PDJ

    The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

    Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

  8. #8
    GeorgiaPeach's Avatar
    GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    275
    I'm listening to Zoe Harcombes prsentation on obesity. She said meats are mostly unsaturated fat. And dairy is the only food source that is predominately saturated. So for those of us eho don't do dairy, are we not getiing saturated fats? What about tallow and animal fats and such?
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

  9. #9
    June68's Avatar
    June68 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    509
    Good Calories/Bad Calories (Taubes) p. 168-9 (FWIW)

    "Consider a porterhouse steak with a quarter-inch layer of fat. After broiling, this steak will reduce to almost equal parts fat and protein*. Fifty-one percent of the fat is monounsaturated, of which 90 percent is oleic acid. Saturated fat constitutes 45 percent of the total fat, but a third of that is stearic acid, which will increase HDL cholesterol while having no effect on LDL. (Stearic acid is metabolized in the body to oleic acid, according to Grundy's research.) The remaining 4 percent of the fat is polyunaturated, which lowers LDL cholesterol but has no meaningful effect on HDL. In sum, perhaps as much as 70 percent of the fat content of a porterhouse steak will improve the relative levels of LDL and HDL cholesterol, compared with what they would be if carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, or pasta were consumed. The remaining 30 percent will raise LDL cholesterol, but will also raise HDL cholesterol and will have an insignificant effect, if any, on the ratio of total cholesterol to HDL. All of this suggests that eating a porterhouse steak in lieu of bread or potatoes would actually reduce heart-disease risk, although virtually no nutritional authority will say so publicly. The same is true for lard and bacon.


    * The nutritional constituents of such a piece of relatively fatty meat can be found in the Nutrient Database for Standard Reference at the USDA website, along with those of thousands of other foods."

    What I get from that is that you're getting plenty of sat fat in beef tallow, pork lard etc. And I have yet to watch Zoe's presentation, but I wonder how much she got from reading the same book.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)


    PB Journal

  10. #10
    GeorgiaPeach's Avatar
    GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    Good Calories/Bad Calories (Taubes) p. 168-9 (FWIW)

    "Consider a porterhouse steak with a quarter-inch layer of fat. After broiling, this steak will reduce to almost equal parts fat and protein*. Fifty-one percent of the fat is monounsaturated, of which 90 percent is oleic acid. Saturated fat constitutes 45 percent of the total fat, but a third of that is stearic acid, which will increase HDL cholesterol while having no effect on LDL. (Stearic acid is metabolized in the body to oleic acid, according to Grundy's research.) The remaining 4 percent of the fat is polyunaturated, which lowers LDL cholesterol but has no meaningful effect on HDL. In sum, perhaps as much as 70 percent of the fat content of a porterhouse steak will improve the relative levels of LDL and HDL cholesterol, compared with what they would be if carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, or pasta were consumed. The remaining 30 percent will raise LDL cholesterol, but will also raise HDL cholesterol and will have an insignificant effect, if any, on the ratio of total cholesterol to HDL. All of this suggests that eating a porterhouse steak in lieu of bread or potatoes would actually reduce heart-disease risk, although virtually no nutritional authority will say so publicly. The same is true for lard and bacon.


    * The nutritional constituents of such a piece of relatively fatty meat can be found in the Nutrient Database for Standard Reference at the USDA website, along with those of thousands of other foods."

    What I get from that is that you're getting plenty of sat fat in beef tallow, pork lard etc. And I have yet to watch Zoe's presentation, but I wonder how much she got from reading the same book.

    So it sounds like whole foods have the right balances of all the fats, and not one single fat has to dominate our diets nor do we have to calculate it?
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •