Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real Food Summit page 2

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well I think it depends on what you're trying to achieve with your food intake and I can't say that I have done any calculating about this. Right now I'm just concentrating on eating whole foods and taking off the poundage. It seems like just staying away from polyunsaturated fats, refined carbohydrates and sugar is a sensible option that improves a lot of systems and measures (like serum cholesterol).
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    I'm listening to Zoe Harcombes prsentation on obesity. She said meats are mostly unsaturated fat. And dairy is the only food source that is predominately saturated. So for those of us eho don't do dairy, are we not getiing saturated fats? What about tallow and animal fats and such?
    I guess it all depends on how one defines "mostly". If the definition is anything over 50%, then 50.00001% would qualify, but most of us would consider that to be a distinction without a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 24
    Nutrient data for 13001, Beef, carcass, separable lean and fat, choice, raw

Lipids Unit Value per 100.0g
    Fatty acids, total saturated g 9.750
    Fatty acids, total monounsaturated g 10.470
    Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated g 0.920
    So, it looks to me like approximately speaking, beef is about near as makes no difference 49% saturated fat, so Zoe is technically, albeit somewhat pedantically, correct in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 24
    Nutrient data for 10224, Pork, fresh, loin, top loin (roasts), boneless, separable lean and fat, raw

Fatty acids, total saturated g 1.598
    Fatty acids, total monounsaturated g 1.861
    Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated g 0.651
    So, pork is about 40% saturated fat.

Lamb, about 47% saturated.

Chicken, 31%.

For dairy, let's start off with half and half:

Nutrient data for 01049, Cream, fluid, half and half

Fatty acids, total saturated g 7.158
    Fatty acids, total monounsaturated g 3.321
    Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated g 0.427
    So, it looks like half and half skews to about 66% saturated fat. But notice that gram per gram, you get more saturated fat from beef than from half and half. Moreover, I regularly put away 500g of steak, and I have yet to down anywhere near 500g of half and half.

Cheddar:

Nutrient data for 01009, Cheese, cheddar

Fatty acids, total saturated g 21.092
    Fatty acids, total monounsaturated g 9.391
    Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated g 0.942
    So, in terms of saturated fat, 250g of cheddar is roughly equivalent to 500g of beef. Keep in mind, though, that if you are eating predominantly lean cuts of meat ( see my pork example, above ) your overall fat intake is getting clobbered relative to someone that eats cheeses on a regular basis. This might be something to think about.

All in all, though, if I were you, I would not worry about this.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Argh, I'm bummed. Missed out on Day 5 videos. Anybody see them? Any high points?
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    I guess it all depends on how one defines "mostly". If the definition is anything over 50%, then 50.00001% would qualify, but most of us would consider that to be a distinction without a difference.

So, it looks to me like approximately speaking, beef is about near as makes no difference 49% saturated fat, so Zoe is technically, albeit somewhat pedantically, correct in this case.

So, pork is about 40% saturated fat.

Lamb, about 47% saturated.

Chicken, 31%.

For dairy, let's start off with half and half:

So, it looks like half and half skews to about 66% saturated fat. But notice that gram per gram, you get more saturated fat from beef than from half and half. Moreover, I regularly put away 500g of steak, and I have yet to down anywhere near 500g of half and half.

Cheddar:

So, in terms of saturated fat, 250g of cheddar is roughly equivalent to 500g of beef. Keep in mind, though, that if you are eating predominantly lean cuts of meat ( see my pork example, above ) your overall fat intake is getting clobbered relative to someone that eats cheeses on a regular basis. This might be something to think about.

All in all, though, if I were you, I would not worry about this.

-PK

This is comforting. I eat a lot of meat but no dairy. And I usually don't eat lean cuts. I was so stressed today, and I made myself the most calming lunch: Cauliflower, carrots, ginger, garlic and bok choy in homemade bone broth topped with homemade tallow and a huge piece of salmon on top. I felt so much more relaxed when I got done! Yay fat!! I really feel better when my diet is dominated by meat. I come from a native american family... I'm far down the line though... And I read about how veggies and berries were garnishments to their meats. I wish tribal communities still existed so we could learn more traditional ways of living.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Just listened to Barry Groves: Gorillas and ruminants are on high-fat, no/low carb diets. (Made me feel warm all over.) Real Food Summit
    All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12