Page 91 of 116 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 91

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    It's hard to say, my Eldest, who was a tall, skinny little boy is now 6'3" and 240lbs. Middlest, was also slender, but more muscled than Eldest is now 6'2" and about the same weight and is built like a Kodiak bear. SWMBO has brothers that were all tall but slighter of build and she is convinced that Boy will take after them. He has my broad shoulders and big hands so I think he'll be built more like me.

But he is way more athletic than I ever was. In that way he's more like SWMBO's family. It's fun to think about, but there are no clear answers yet.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm voting for him taking after you. (Not that I get a vote.) His athletic prowess may be partly due to circumstance and opportunity, not to take away from him at all. For instance, most of my nieces and nephews are good athletes and none of my sisters or brothers or I were. But we never had the chance to play any type of organized sport and develop any ability we might have had. I also remember my sisters being pretty darn good at climbing trees and wrestling and running until they 'grew out of it' as we were expected to do back in those days. Well, I'm just rambling here. It is fun to watch them grow up! I remember the moment each time I saw that my sisters's children were wearing the face that would take them into adulthood - a strange sobering feeling, but happy also. Except for one, they all look very, very different than they did as children.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I'm thinking that too. I was always good enough at sports, I just wasn't very interested in them and had little opportunity to practice. Once I developed a interest in an activity, I quickly became good at it, tennis, hacky-sack, rock-climbing and various others.

SWMBO and her family are quite good at sports involving running, that seems to have been passed to Boy. They are also intensely competitive and he has that too. I am not very competitive, at least not as far as sports go.

Of course, I became fat at an early age, which impeded my enjoyment of most sports.

Boy shows no sign of gaining weight and he would rather run than most any other thing, part of what he likes so much about football is that it is like a big game of tag, which he loves. When they start introducing the rules and all of the interruptions, he might not be so fond of it.

He likes soccer too, but he isn't a very aggressive player, preferring to run outside of the pack and relay balls to other players rather than dive into the fray to steal the ball or to retain possession as he moves downfield.

Tonight is my workout, and the shoulder is feeling pretty good!
    Body Fat 30.5

I had a great workout yesterday! It was fun, I felt fit and energetic and the mix of exercises exhausted me in a really enjoyable way. I went home after, make a nice light meal, BAS and some grilled chicken breasts. I slept really well and today have a pleasant soreness.

We did his big three exercises, deadlifts, squats and pull-ups (assisted chin-ups for me) low weight, lots of reps, meant to exhaust me fully. I really enjoyed it.

It was a good day all around.
    Body Fat 30.5

ecks is offline Senior Member
    When you're doing assisted chinups are you doing box assist, bands, or counterweights? I've always struggled to find which would suit me best. I usually do box assist. It tends to wear me out just the same but I've always wondered if one of the other 2 options had a better effect.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Ecks, at the Gym we use a pull-up Assist devise, which hooks over the bar and has a stirrup for one foot and three rubber tube-type bands. It's specifically meant for this use. You can use all three of the bands or just two or one.

At home I have a set of bands that are huge rubber bands I have an enormous carabineer that attaches it to the bar and I put one foot in the other end. They come in a color coded set, I think the biggest offers 175lbs of assist.

But we do all sort of exercises that support doing pull-ups. We've done the box type, we've done bar hangs and ones where you jump up and hold the top position and slowly lower yourself. Also lat-pulldowns and TRX rows. We've also done a lot of farmers carries for grip strength (cant do many pull-ups if you can't hold your body weight off of a bar for long enough).
    So...

My trainer has just added a "peg board," which is a wide board hung parallel to the floor off of the fitness cage with a single row of holes into which fit pegs (The diameter of a chin up bar). The idea is to pull yourself up on two of them (neutral grip pull-up) then, while hanging, pull one of the pegs out of its hole, then put it back into the next (adjacent) hole, then hang from this one (one-handed) and move the other one the same direction. In this way move yourself sideways along the board. It is extremely challenging, even for Cliff. We were discussing this and I jumped up and held onto two of the pegs and without thinking about it did an unassisted pull up straight up and over the bar!!

He and I were both amazed! My goal for the first three months of training, I am now at the end of it, was to be able to do a single unassisted chin-up, and I did a neutral grip pull up! Without really intending to!

So I met that goal! Yay!
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 09-03-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    Body Fat 30.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Wow! It makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it?
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Spammers are out early tonight!

I'm really very happy with the progress I've made this summer! Today I signed up for another three months!

I also have started walking again. I'd all but stopped because of problems with pain in my feet likely caused by my switch to barefoot shoes. But they are feeling better, so I'm getting back into it slowly.

Hoping the added walking will help break the current plateau (230)!
    Body Fat 30.5

Me 9-5-13.jpg

Here's the latest picture. I'm not sure I see too much difference in terms of weight. My hair is longer...

We did a weigh-in on Saturday, and my weight was essentially unchanged, but my percentage of body fat dropped 2%!

So I am gaining muscle!
    Body Fat 30.5

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I haven't been posting too much in recent weeks. I've actually been really happy and healthy, but busy. I had a huge project at work that had been boiling over that finally got finished yesterday. Both older boys have had car troubles that have and likely will continue to co$t money :-(

My weight has plateaued big time at 230, but as I mentioned in the earlier post, my percentage of body fat has gone down so I'm not worried about it. I am still struggling with eating enough good, clean calories and still struggling with drinking too much beer at social functions, but I'm really okay.

My cousin (like a Brother to me) is getting married next week in San Francisco. A bunch of us are going to fly out to the wedding for 5 days. SWMBO and Boy can't go, so I'll be with the Cousins. I'll be the only representative from my side of the family in attendance.

I've decided that during the trip I will make every reasonable attempt to stay Primal in my food choices, but that I'm not going to worry about calories or dieting. I will even have some sourdough bread! I'll just slather butter on it to blunt the glycemic load. So this trip will be a vacation as well as a reefed! I am still suffering with my shoulder issues so the rest will likely help there two. I am sure I will get plenty of walking in, and the hotel has workout room and a pool so I can make use of those for exercise and fun.

I've been reading the "Perfect Health Diet." Seems like Primal with a side of white rice and yams. The rice would be a welcome addition to my diet, I eat sweet potatoes typically about once a week anyway. But would love to have rice, even a little to go with my Indian food. I'll see about adding those things more frequently when I finish reading and when I get back from my trip.

I continue to do well in my working out. I just signed up for the next 3-months. But this (along with the automotive 'loans' to my boys and the costs for the trip to SF) have tapped me out financially. At the end of this next three month session, I will have to give up the personal training and will join one of the group training or fitness challenge classes that he offers. I hope that by the middle of November I am in good enough shape to do these classes. I think I will be. Trainer Cliff thinks I will be too, which is good. On off days I'm walking and getting running to where I can do some sprinting.

So all is well!
    Body Fat 30.5

Page 91 of 116 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast