Page 90 of 103 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 90

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    feeling bad for boy. I think being a boy at that age is really tough............ I'm glad I was born a girl!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    It is hard for him, really, in many ways he is like an only child, he has Brothers, but they are in their twenties. So he hasn't had much of the normal, rough and tumble play that you get with siblings. Play at school or on play dates is pretty well monitored so rarely gets physical and never violent. Football is a game of controlled violence and that's really not been a part of his life so far.

He gets frightened and angry when people hurt him and there's a fair bit of that in football, even flag football. Most of the other kids have learned to work past the painful moments and "walk it off" but Boy hasn't yet and SWMBO is horrified by the whole thing.

Still Boy says he likes it. We'll see how it goes.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

tomi is online now Senior Member
    My son was an only child. His father was 40 when he was born, and never had a very strong father figure himself - so, he didn't play games or doing the normal fatherly teaching that boys need and love. We also lived in the country and play dates were difficult to manage. Add to that my son's personality is very withdrawn and he has social anxiety issues, inherited from his father. (it pays to choose wisely when looking for someone to father your children!) Subsequently, team sports were never for him - but he excelled at martial arts! By the age of 14 he was a 2nd degree Black Belt in Tong So Do (the precursor to Tae Kwon Do). This is the only good thing his father ever contributed to his life! They were in martial arts together until we divorced when my son was 15 and moved to Oregon. I tried to get him started in classes here - but the nearest studio of the same style of martial arts was an hours drive away.

I told that story only to say that perhaps boys physical activities would be stronger in singular sports such as the martial arts or gymnastics? Maybe even golf or tennis?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Yeah, he is taking Tae Kwon Do and we all play tennis. He loves both!

I played football in school, but I'm not pushing the football thing, he's got a group of friends from school that do things in unison and their Mom's all enjoy it because they get to see one another while the kids are busy playing. SWMBO is really concerned about him getting injured badly. I'm just worried about him being teased for being a crybaby. He just hasn't been exposed to that sort of physicality.

He and I have talked a lot about it. He really likes the practices, which at this level are all about fundamentals and are mostly like tag, running around and trying to tear the flags off of the other players. But get seven kids all running around grabbing at each other and there are going to be some bumps and bruises along the way. His reaction to getting hurt is to cry and then become angry at whoever hurt him, as though they had done it intentionally to be mean.

Fortunately, last night he had a great practice and only got one booboo, the grass was wet and he was wearing sneakers not his cleats and lost his footing. He got up and moved on.

He's figuring it out!
    Body Fat 27.5

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    My son played Pop Warner when he was 13/14 for the first time. After his first game the coach came over and told us football might not be his game as he seemed afraid of the ball. He stuck with it and soon learned he loved to hit/tackle-- no easy feat as he was about 5'10 and maybe 100 lbs at the time.

By the end of the season he was so good the coaches gave him a special award never given before. The also told us he had natural talent and could go far if he kept at.

Too bad his freshmen year playing was a very bad experience. The team had over 70 kids on it and the coaches only played kids they knew/had coached in other sports. He never played again.

I say this to let you know if your son sticks with it, he may find he's good at it.

Well his mother is pretty dead-set against him ever playing tackle football. She spent some time looking up catastrophic injuries sustained during various sports at the grade-school level and football was First on the list, followed by Soccer and then Basketball. Oddly enough Baseball had few injuries but of those had the highest percentage of fatalities (child being struck in the head or chest with a ball).

I'm not sure this is the best way to choose a sport, but she does seem to fear him getting really hurt. So we'll see how it goes, but he had a lot of fun at the most recent practice.
    Body Fat 27.5

Goodness! Don't update your journal for a couple of days and you wind up on page 5!

Things have been generally good! Last Wednesday night I went out with a bunch of folks I knew and had too many beers. My eating was stellar, but the beers were problematic. I was quite hung-over the next morning and didn't feel much like eating or drinking. That lasted all day and then I had my workout. I was doing an exercise called Turkish get ups and after one set of ten on each side I became very hot and felt very faint. I have fainted from dehydration once before and had to go to the emergency room and have 2 liters of fluid pumped into me. So I recognized the feeing. I didn't black out but stopped working out (we were nearly through anyway).

Mostly I felt stupid that I let myself get so dehydrated when I know better.

I spent the next couple of days drinking lots of fluids and taking it easy. By Saturday morning I felt fine and had a great workout. The rest of the weekend was great! I went to the beach on Sunday with SWMBO and Boy and we had a great time. We met up with our friends who we play tennis with and made a date to play next weekend.

I believe I've lost a bit more weight but my next weigh in isn't until Sept. 1
    Body Fat 27.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I figured you were off having a great time and I was right!

I'm with SWMBO on the tackle football. There are just too many other fun things to do than get knocked in the head repeatedly. Although I have absolutely no idea how one chooses these things for children.

Shoulder is all healed up?
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Well I'm with her on tackle football, if Boy decides he really wants to play, we'll have to talk about it. But I actually didn't really like football, I played because it was "THE" sport to play and I was a big guy (comparatively).

My shoulder isn't all healed, but it is feeling better. I heard about a product from my trainer called KT Tape, the K stands for Kinesthesiology (sp) It's stretchy cloth tape and adheres to skin well. It's pre-cut into special shapes and you apply them according to what kind of injury you have (their website has videos). I ordered some online, I was skeptical but it really is helping.

Comes in fancy colors too!

Bit by bit I'm getting better!
    Body Fat 27.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I've seen athletes on TV wearing that stuff. Very cool!

I wonder if Boy is going to be built like you?
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Page 90 of 103 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast