Page 9 of 116 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 9

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    So lots of my family was here for the wedding this past weekend and some of them made a vacation of it and are here still. So a bunch of us cousins got together for dinner. We are a raucous bunch under the best of circumstances and we are getting to an age when we see each other at funerals more than at weddings, though that's changing as our children are starting to marry. Anyway, this was just a chance to get together and enjoy each other's company.

It was a blast, I had a huge salad with London Broil on it, some wine and then dessert! Ice cream! It was great! So enough of that. Everybody remarked how good I looked, and the best part is, I feel even better. I took my 4-mile walk this morning and watched the sun rise over the park, beautiful! Some of the humidity has gone and now comes the golden days of summer. This begins my favorite time of year, ending with Christmas.

Happy!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Ugh! That happy feeling lasted all the way into work. But then I was slapped with the cold fish of reality. Angry customers, disgruntaled coworkers, looming deadlines, and Waaaaaaaaaa!

I'll be okay. I'm tired from my walk and will go to bed early tonight. Tomorrow's another day! :-)
    Body Fat 30.5

So today was my once a week weigh-in and I am up over a pound. This means that in the last month I have not lost any weight at all. I know I am thinner and fitting into clothes better. But I don't want to be 255 lbs. Something isn't working right. I'm not sure what is going on. My calories have been below 2K consistently, I've been 80% Primal or better and exercising (walking) for an hour or longer 5x/week.

But I am not yet ready to change anything. I feel good. Just confused.
    Body Fat 30.5

Today has been a good day so far. I am in the middle of reading "It starts with food." No real revelations there, considering I've read Marks books and all the Paleo books.

I can't really imagine why I'm not losing pounds given my caloric intake and amount of exercise, but it's hard to analyse because there are too many variables. Since I feel good and feel like I am eating right, I'm just going to keep at it. The drinking may be an issue, but I have cut down this week considerably, we'll see if that makes a difference next week.

This will be a quiet weekend, with little planned, so I can eat as I like, which hasn't always been the case, given the family picnics and weddings etc. Of course I do not use this as an excuse to eat non-primally, but it means I sometimes need to make sub-optimal choices.

I am considering doing the Whole30 program, as soon as I finish the book.

I wonder why I don't just do it right now. I suppose that it is the issue of peer pressure and a reluctance to give up drinking.

Peer pressure in that I am often in social situations with family and friends who would know instantly that my diet had changed and then I would be obliged to explain what I am doing. I am a big person and I have had the reputation of being a man with a large appetite, eating, drinking, laughing, and life in general. I have always been this way and my friends enjoy this about me. It's hard to see myself as the guy who goes to a restaurant and orders the salad with steak and an iced tea.

Of course I'd rather be that guy than the gregarious, hard drinkin' funny glutton who died of a heart attack at 55.

I suppose that along with changing my diet and changing my weight I have first to change my concept of who I am.

Maybe my weight will come off only after I figure out who I want to be.
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 08-17-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    Body Fat 30.5

So yesterday I typed everything I ate into Fitday to do a check on macros and total caloric intake. The totals were:

2264 Calories

Protein 211 grams. 39%
    Fat 118.8 grams. 46%
    Carbs 95.1 grams. 15%
    Alcohol 0%

It was more carbs than typical for me, mostly due to fruit- 1 apple and 4 peaches (!). The peaches came in the CSA Box and are all ripe now!

It felt like a lot of food to me, but only 2264 calories. Probably I should do this more often. I generally log in my food for a few days, maybe a week but then I feel I understand how much I should be eating, which is always more than I think and then, when I stop logging it, I think I eat less. Somehow this stalls my weightloss.

Of course then there is the drinking. Sort of confuses the issue. As of today, I havent had any alcohol since Tuesday, so three full days without anything to drink. Nearly all of my drinking is social, but in the past year I have become way more social.

No non-primal foods, no alcohol.
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 08-18-2012 at 05:46 AM.
    Body Fat 30.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I am really interested in your thoughts as I have evidently plateaued in my own weight loss and now have some decisions to make. Giving up drinking entirely is probably the best thing I could do, as no one can argue that I am getting valuable essential nutrients from my daily glass of wine. The other tweak is to give up dairy and then ta-da, I will be Whole30. But I think you are on to something - I have to figure out who I want to be in going forward. After having been invisible for a few years - an overweight middle-aged woman - I am not quite comfortable with being this new sort-of-athletic looking almost-trim younger woman. When I went to the Y yesterday to sign up, the young woman said, "Do you want info about personal trainers? You look like you already know your way around a gym." And I looked behind me to see if she was talking to someone else!

Anyway, sorry for the long post on your journal, but it really struck a chord with me.

For me, keeping a food journal has been integral to my success. Have you tried paleotrack.com? I really like it, very easy to customize, and you get a pretty pie chart that shows your macros.
    Last edited by Siobhan; 08-18-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Don't apologize for long posts, I don't mind at all. It was nice that you look like someone who knows their way around a gym.

In terms of self image (and long posts). I have a story. I've told bits of it in other people's journals but...

When I was 20 I went to spend the summer at my Sister and Brother-in-law's house in Upstate NY. The house needed work and I was to help. In exchange for labor they gave me a place to stay and fed me. I only needed to work on the house evenings and week-ends. This left me time to have a summer job. It was the first summer I spent away from home.

They wisely decided that it would be cheaper for them to get me to go on a diet, since I was obese and a voracious eater. I gave it a shot. During the summer I lost 50 lbs. I went down to 184 when I returned home for College. It was the thinnest I had been as an adult (before or since). The reactions I got from people (friends, family) was weird. They were unaware of my dieting and were surprised by my appearance. Lots of people thought I had been ill. Many said I didn't look like myself. It affected every relationship I had.

My girlfriend, later wife and now ex-wife was thrilled, she wasn't so attracted to me particularly when I was heavy, which made it awkward when I gained all of the weight back, and then added another 50 lbs.

My guy friends were strange about it. They were used to me as the sidekick, wingman, whatever. I wasn't the hot one, I was the funny one, the nice one. The dynamic of the relationship changed. Now I was competition.

My women friends were weird, when I was fat they weren't attracted to me as a potential sex partner, now, some were. Two of them had boyfriends who were now threatened by me, when they weren't before.

My fat friends, and family members were jealous, or uneasy because we no longer had obesity in common. There was a sort of camaraderie that suddenly was altered. Even my Mom thought I looked unhealthy, gaunt and underfed.

On the other hand, meeting new people was easier. But it was a lot to process, and not all of it was good. Of course it was so sudden for these folks.

I put the weight back on quickly again, within a year. I do not blame people's reactions for gaining it all back, but I wasn't ready for the reactions from a good many people.

Since then, (30 years ago) I've given a lot of thought to why this was a difficult time for me, losing all the weight. I think I feel deep down that I am a fat person, I'm a lot more than this of course, but my identity has always been a fat guy. That is what needs to change, along with the diet.
    Body Fat 30.5

campanella is offline Senior Member
    Hi,
    I enjoyed reading your anecdote, I appreciate the view into something I've really never had to deal with. It is true how much outward appearance does change people's perspective of you.
    It sounds like you have a lot going on and don't have time to tally up calories and assess and plan macronutrients every single day, however I want to mention the "carb refeed" idea... you've probably seen it around a lot by now, but I wanted to say I recently tried it out and it has been wonderful, after one 2 day refeed I lost several pounds when I had not lost anything in a long time, even with restricted calories. Of course it's impossible to say for sure what caused what, but in case you're interested in trying it, the idea is to eat, for 2 days back to back per week, your calories at maintenance (which can be found with one of numerous online calculators) as close to no fat as possible, your weight in protein, as few fruits and non-starchy vegetables as possible, and then lots of starchy vegetables at each meal. I mostly ate nonfat greek yogurt (not good long term, but it works for this), turkey/chicken, potatoes and sweet potatoes, white rice.. you probably read about it on my journal. The carbs gave me energy I had not had in a long time, and that's the time to do weight lifting or sprinting... I've never lifted, but sprinting is fairly easy and accessible and rewarding - just to run as fast as you can for 8 seconds is recommended, then take a break until your breath is back, and repeat, until you can't do anymore. This is good to do on the high carb days...
    And then, after those two days you can lower calories, I lower to 20% under maintenance, and it's easy to give up most carbs and eat lots of fat after you've eaten your fill of the starches.
    Something you might want to try. Maybe not, the science is uncertain behind it. I think it did work for me, but it's even hard to tell how much is psychological! I ate about 4 times the carbs I usually eat, felt stuffed the whole time, and honestly I found it refreshing and enjoyable.

I can actually relate to what you've written above in your post about people changing as you change - I haven't had a huge weight struggle, but with me it was an oversensitivity and a huge lack of confidence for way too long, and now that things have changed, some of my more controlling friends from before have drifted away and been replaced by all these people I genuinely admire. Personal change certainly seems to bring out different sides of everyone else.

Hi Campanella, thanks for stopping by! Also for the carb refeed idea.. A couple of years ago I lost a bunch of weight on a diet by a guy named Lyle MacDonald (I think) that had structured refeeds. I ended up basically dieting hard during the week and not really dieting at all during the weekend (but not going overboard either). It did work for me. Until I stopped. I'll give it some thought with carbs!

Interesting also about what you said about your more controlling friends leaving and new admirable people entering your life as you grew more confident. For me, that would be welcome enough now, but back in my early twenties I defined myself by the company I kept and the thought of losing friends, lovers, or the regard of family members was too much for me.

But for me at least, being the funny fat guy gave me entry into social circles I never would have gotten into (particularly in high school) otherwise. I wasn't a jock or a nerd or a torque (what we called guys who were into cars). But by being fat and funny I could sorta gain entry to any group. I was also artistic, so this also helped. Now it is entirely possible that I was smart enough, charming and funny enough to get by without also being fat. But I wasn't confident enough I guess, and i discovered that the fat part got me closer to women, who viewed me as safe because they weren't attracted to me physically. I was just happy to be around them. Once close, some saw past my weight and dated me.

It's a long story, and likely only interesting to me. But it does remind me that I used being fat to my own advantage, I didn't enjoy it, but made the best of it for a long time in a way. The upshot is that being a fat person is deeply etched into my psyche and may be partly responsible for my failure to adhere to any diet long enough to reach my goal weight, though I regularly get near to it.

Thanks again for the comments and the advice. It's great to get other perspectives!
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 08-23-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    Body Fat 30.5

Whole 30 started!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I forgot to mention (wrapped up as I am in my own self image diologue) that I started the Whole30 on Saturday. I have been eating very cleanly for the past few months. So the biggest changes will be the drinking (tomorrow will be one week with no wine or beer or anything). The last bits of dairy (heavy cream in coffee) and the occasional full on cheat- dessert at restaurants. But I can do it for a month.

My next business trip doesn't come until the end of September, so it's a good time.
    Body Fat 30.5

Page 9 of 116 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast